Nra 500

This is a discussion on Nra 500 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NRA title sponsor for NASCAR Cup race in Texas FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — The National Rifle Association is taking its relationship with racing to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sauerpuss

Thread: Nra 500

VIP Member

Nra 500

NRA title sponsor for NASCAR Cup race in Texas

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — The National Rifle Association is taking its relationship with racing to a new level as the title sponsor of a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race.

The deal with Texas Motor Speedway comes at a time when the NRA is involved in a renewed debate on gun violence in the wake of the December shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

"It's not about politics. It's about sports marketing," TMS president Eddie Gossage said Monday after the announcement of the one-year agreement with the NRA that includes a renewal option.

The April 13 race at Texas, the first scheduled night race in the Cup Series this season, will be known as the NRA 500.
    "The NRA 500 is the latest announcement in the long history of a growing partnership between the NRA, Speedway Motorsports and the NASCAR community," LaPierre said. "NRA members and NASCAR fans love their country and everything that is good and right about America. We salute our flag, volunteer in our churches and communities, cherish our families and we love racing. On April 13, we'll all come together at Texas Motor Speedway."
    EarthLink - Top News
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

What's this long history of a growing partnership between the NRA, Speedway Motorsports, and NASCAR? I follow NASCAR pretty closely and I don't remember NRA involvement.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    What's this long history of a growing partnership between the NRA, Speedway Motorsports, and NASCAR? I follow NASCAR pretty closely and I don't remember NRA involvement.
    Surprised me also, have followed NASCAR on an off all the way back to Fireball Roberts and Junior Johnson prior to his pardon.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Surprised me also, have followed NASCAR on an off all the way back to Fireball Roberts and Junior Johnson prior to his pardon.
    Yeah, I was watching NASCAR when Lee Petty, Herb Thomas, Buck Baker, and the Allison brothers were still competing. I never heard of any NRA sponsorship. I'm glad that they are, but I think the "long history" statement is a bit of a stretch to say the least. It does sound better than saying "Well, we've been involved since last Monday" though.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I used to play in Fireball's wrecked cars at Holman/Moody by the airport. Used to watch Buck and Buddy Baker work on their cars across from Jackson Homes. Don't recall much "history" with the NRA either, but it wouldn't hurt.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

"This is not the NRA’s first title sponsorship in NASCAR. The group sponsored the second-tier Nationwide race last September at Atlanta, which like Texas is owned by Speedway Motorsports Inc."

NRA Lands Big Sponsorship Deal With Major Sport | TheBlaze.com
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

I don't often watch motorsports, but when I do, I watch ones sponsored by the NRA.
    OldVet and jbum like this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    "This is not the NRA’s first title sponsorship in NASCAR. The group sponsored the second-tier Nationwide race last September at Atlanta, which like Texas is owned by Speedway Motorsports Inc."

NRA Lands Big Sponsorship Deal With Major Sport | TheBlaze.com
    Thanks for clearing that up. The long history dates back to last September.

Anyway, I'm glad they are supporting NASCAR.

Re: Nra 500

I'm sorry, we're in a fight to the death over second amendment rights. I, for one, don't want to see ANY extra money the NRA may believe it has to spare going to ANYTHING other than that fight....

To sponsor motor sports is beyond ridiculous.

Is American Rifleman going to have a new NASCAR edition?

I an not a member, I regret my donations, and I will never join, now.

I will write them a letter, as snippy as I send to my anti representatives.

Beyond STUPID!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Nascar And guns what more could a redneck want. Oh ya BEER!!.

VIP Member
    NASCAR...is that where the cars go around and around?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    [QUOTE=oakchas;2642940]I'm sorry, we're in a fight to the death over second amendment rights. I, for one, don't want to see ANY extra money the NRA may believe it has to spare going to ANYTHING other than that fight....

To sponsor motor sports is beyond ridiculous.
    QUOTE]

NRA publicity is part of the fight. It makes the NRA so much more . . . middle class!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by sauerpuss View Post
    I don't often watch motorsports, but when I do, I watch ones sponsored by the NRA.
    Excellent!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

NRA publicity is part of the fight. It makes the NRA so much more . . . middle class!
    BALDERFLOP!

The NRA sponsoring NASCAR is not publicity FOR gun owners or the second amendment...

It is a complete and utter waste of money and resources.. I want to see the first duct taped-banged up-sponsor sticker-laden AR15, signed by Petty.

BAH!

TRIPE!

WASTE!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

On the other hand, maybe the NRA just wants practice.... Practice TURNING LEFT!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Links