Kitchen remodel

Kitchen remodel

This is a discussion on Kitchen remodel within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We started one today, a full blown remodel of the old farm house kitchen. The job is going to be tough. My house was built ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kitchen remodel

VIP Member

Kitchen remodel

We started one today, a full blown remodel of the old farm house kitchen. The job is going to be tough. My house was built in the 50s and man, is it overbuilt. They sure didn't take any shortcuts back then.

So for progress: We were supposed to demo a wall today and put a a 25 ft beam but we only got half of the wall out.

Oh well, it will be nice when it's done but it's no fun now.

541412_3892039599527_881933026_n.jpg

601296_3892043439623_1455683377_n.jpg
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

I hope your not removing the cast iron wood burning cook stove.
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldmaster View Post
    I hope your not removing the cast iron wood burning cook stove.
    No the original stove was long gone when we moved in. The gap between the fridge and the oven is because modern ovens are much smaller than the original.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Did ours last summer and decided not to rip out a lath and plaster wall framed in actual 2 x 4's. Built around 1880. Still have a small, but now updated kitchen.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Wow! They used to use wood for studs?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    We did the same with our first house. Our contractor tore the wall out and then disappeared. We finished it ourselves (I'll never do that again - whec found that he hates drywall).

Then the contractor shows back up 6 months later, wanting to be paid for tearing the wall out. I figured he must have been in jail or something, but I brought him back to reality and sent him on his deranged little way.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Hope he didn't turn around and place a lien on your title.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    We started one today, a full blown remodel of the old farm house kitchen. The job is going to be tough. My house was built in the 50s and man, is it overbuilt. They sure didn't take any shortcuts back then.

So for progress: We were supposed to demo a wall today and put a a 25 ft beam but we only got half of the wall out.

Oh well, it will be nice when it's done but it's no fun now.

541412_3892039599527_881933026_n.jpg

601296_3892043439623_1455683377_n.jpg
    Are you doing it yourself? I've been through 3 kitchen remodels. It's definitely worth the time and effort.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I just did a room remodel at my dad's house. It is an overbuilt 50s home, but when they overbuilt it, they forgot to make sure everything was square...

good luck with your remodeling!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    We did the same with our first house. Our contractor tore the wall out and then disappeared. We finished it ourselves (I'll never do that again - whec found that he hates drywall).

Then the contractor shows back up 6 months later, wanting to be paid for tearing the wall out. I figured he must have been in jail or something, but I brought him back to reality and sent him on his deranged little way.
    He wouldn't be groundless for expecting some compensation. Chances are a judge would agree. His bid price less the cost for a reasonable contractor to finish was wasn't completed. Hope he doesn't put a lien on your property.

Neat. My parents are awaiting the day that the contractors are to come start work on their kitchen and master bath project. It was supposed to have started already, but their first choice of contractor was screwing them over, so they looked around a bit more and ended up getting the company owned by the president of whatever the kitchen and bath designers national association is.

My last 'vacation' (staycation?) was spent remodeling my own kitchen. I had help on two different days, but mostly worked by myself. In one week, I ripped everything out of the kitchen down to the bare walls and sub-floor. Despite the fact that I was functionally changing the layout of the kitchen (switching from a dysfunctional U-shape to a galley style), I was able to salvage and re-purpose all the cabinetry (required some rebuilding).

The biggest challenge was working with the wavy, out of true, out of square walls... which are original lath-n-plaster from 1924. In some places the walls deviate from a plane by nearly 2 inches... which made for a particularly interesting challenge when hanging cabinets and installing the wood trim countertop 'backsplashes'! Lots of hand planing with a turn of the century Stanley scrub plane!

I love working with wood (mostly hand tools to make furniture), but I'll be darned if I ever want to spend another vacation working mostly solo on a kitchen... while not having a kitchen.

My wife was kinda freaked out when she came home the first day to a totally empty room with no floor. She absolutely did not believe that I could do the work in the allotted 9 days... Heck, I had my doubts that I could do everything myself in any amount of time!

At any rate, good luck with the remodel. Have fun, and treat those power tools with the same respect that you give your sidearms!
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Hope he didn't turn around and place a lien on your title.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCO View Post
    He wouldn't be groundless for expecting some compensation. Chances are a judge would agree. His bid price less the cost for a reasonable contractor to finish was wasn't completed. Hope he doesn't put a lien on your property.
    No worries. That was four houses ago for me. There's more to the story, but I don't wanna derail Timmy's thread.

VIP Member
    I love the light fixture that you can pull down and raise up. My grandmother had one. Her house was built in the 50s.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I love the light fixture that you can pull down and raise up. My grandmother had one. Her house was built in the 50s.
    I hit my head everyday on that stupid thing until I realized I could raise it up.

@Jean: No I'm paying a pro. He is a friend and I help with the heavy lifting because of his age but otherwise he is doing the work.

We got the wall out and got our beams up and in. Two 25 foot glue laminate beams. Those suckers were a little bit heavy. The house looks totally different than it did just 2 days ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links