Lake City Ammunition LayOffs

This is a discussion on Lake City Ammunition LayOffs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Interesting. In the middle of the great ammo shortage, the Lake City Ammunition plant is laying off employees. Maybe they need to look at expanding ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TX expat
  • 1 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise

Thread: Lake City Ammunition LayOffs

VIP Member

Interesting. In the middle of the great ammo shortage, the Lake City Ammunition plant is laying off employees. Maybe they need to look at expanding into the retail market and keeping the people working!

Lake City employees offered voluntary layoffs; - KansasCity.com
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Probably victims of the sequester
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

yeah they open up sales to civilians more and they could cover some of the costs a short while at least.

Distinguished Member
    From what I read, seems like technology is replacing some jobs. It said the changes "will increase the plants efficiency of producing ammunition of various calibers". While not good for the employee's, it seems it could actually help produce more ammo, if you believe everything they're saying anyways.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    As mentioned, isn't it odd that they aren't selling to the general public? Lots of people looking for ammo and lots of people needing to keep their jobs.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I don't see a problem here if this is really due to their supposed plan that was in the works for 8 years to retool and become more efficient. I'd be concerned if this was really due to the government screwing around with the works(ie our money). Sounds like they automated a good bit more. Folks always look at plants cutting back on labor due to more modern efficiencies as a bad thing, but in reality, even though some are out of work, those same improvements probably put a bunch more folks in work. No one ever back traces from the end product. It took people to invent the technologies. It took people to test them, build them, to install them, and probably ongoing maintenance. And that's all just at face value without really digging into detail.

Someone once had me give myself an exercise to prove a point. He had me sit down and write with a pencil everything it took to get the lone pencil I was holding in my hand to that point. Start with the pencil and work your way back. What did it take to invent, produce, and deploy that pencil...and not just that pencil, but the MILLIONS produced and used daily. When you really sit down and write it all out on paper and take a pencil down to it's base components, and those components to their origins... you BEGIN to get it.

In the end, if LC's reasoning is true, we all may benefit from it(ie cheaper ammo and more of it more reliably).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    From what I read, seems like technology is replacing some jobs. It said the changes "will increase the plants efficiency of producing ammunition of various calibers". While not good for the employee's, it seems it could actually help produce more ammo, if you believe everything they're saying anyways.
    I always envisioned rows of workers cranking out rounds on Lee single-stage presses. No wonder they need to update. Probably getting turret presses now.
    TX expat likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I always envisioned rows of workers cranking out rounds on Lee single-stage presses. No wonder they need to update. Probably getting turret presses now.
    LOL. Yeah, now they're really going to crank out the rounds. It's too bad that making the change over to Dillon presses didn't get more support. They'd be able to give it away, with all the capacity they'd have!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

How serious can a guy with the last name Kidder be? Maybe this is a big joke...
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

He also attributed the cutbacks to “recent drawdowns in military actions.”
    So the layoff is at least partly due to decreased demand from the military, implying reduced production. If that's the case, then I really wish they'd stay at full capacity and sell to the public. It would be one of the few government-owned facilities producing a useful product.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    So they layoff is at least partly due to decreased demand from the military, implying reduced production. If that's the case, then I really wish they'd stay at full capacity and sell to the public. It would be one of the few government-owned facilities producing a useful product.
    Finally, some stimulus that doesn't cost the taxpayers money! The government selling ammunition to the citizens! Oh, the irony!
    Ransom likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Sponsored Links