Help and Advice Needed: 1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 with Options

This is a discussion on Help and Advice Needed: 1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 with Options within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am considering this, but have never owned a 4 Wheeler, so I don't know what to "look out for" so to speak. Ya'll have ...

Thread: Help and Advice Needed: 1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 with Options

Question Help and Advice Needed: 1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 with Options

I am considering this, but have never owned a 4 Wheeler, so I don't know what to "look out for" so to speak. Ya'll have any wisdom you can share? Anything to watch out for? Anything to avoid? Does the price seem fair?

I know how to check the exhaust for excessive oil consumption..........I think..........

What about shocks? Steering? Etc.

I have a 1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4 4 stroke liquid cooled with winch and polaris glacier snowplow. This atv is a ONE OWNER and babied! It has 5800 miles, but all fluids changed on time and as required, 0w-40 Mobile 1 full synthenic motor oil. All fluids have been changed within the last 6 months including both inner and outer tie rod ends, water pump (water pump seals), fresh coolant, spark plug and fuel filter. It also has brand new carslie 489 A/T tires and polaris wheels. It does come with the polaris cargo box shown. Tires only have approx. 500 miles. The polaris snowplow is in great shape with new plow skids. This plow is the polaris quick disconnect (top of the line). The plow is operated by a superwinch 1500 LB which works great. Looking to down grade the amount of quads in the fleet. This sportsman runs, drives and handles great!! Never jumped, rolled or sunk in water. All plastics intact and not cracked except a small corner of the left floor board. There is a small patch of red paint on the right back side of the seat. Looking to get 2800 CASH only, no trades or help needing to sell! Bring cash and test ride and take it home.
    Many thanks in advance.

Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Hopefully it wasn't parked in that spot for a long time... where is the wet spot/oil directly under the ATV coming from?

Polaris is coming out with some pretty cool innovations recently.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I own a 2011 Sportsman 800 twin. They are great machines, real workhorses. The 5800 miles is nothing for these engines. Biggest things to look for are signs of the machine being submerged. Yeah submerged. Many people will push the limits of these machines because the snorkel for the airbox comes up to the top of the gas tank under the body plastic. Some go too deep. I would look at the airbox itself. Lift the seat up and open the airbox. See what kind of shape the air filter is in because that will tell you a lot of how it was taken care of. In checking for submersion look for corroded electrical connections. Keep in mind that these machine's motors can be a little noisy because they are pushrod motors. See if the owner will do a compression test. If he can't see how well it starts and runs. If it starts hard it could be carb out of adjustment but it could also be a problem some of these earlier ones had. Some of the early ones had problems with the camshaft exhaust lobes wearing down so it won't lift the exhaust valves all the way. Any of these things are an easy inexpensive fix but if you suspect problems just ask for money off.

Jason
    I would rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

VIP Member
    For a quad that old it looks to be in very good shape....LOOKS being the key word. I think the price is high but if you know the guy and he really did baby it then hit him with a lower offer. I'd start at $1500 and settle for around $1900.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I missed this the first time around:
    The polaris storage box is a hard box worth $150
    Wheels and tires $500
    winch and mount $150
    polaris glacier snowplow $525

****$1325**** in polaris accesories alone
    Make any difference to anyone?

Additionally, I am not a gearhead, so am I looking for a proverbial PITA with this I might hate?

I think the guy that owns it is a gearhead (older) but I will look at potential water issue (corrosion, etc.) etc. I'll scope out the floor stain too. All great questions and ideas!

I heard compression should be about 130 PSI?

Thanks, YA"LL!!!!!!!!!!

It looked and ran great. Clean as a whistle, stain on floor was water (ice melt), he is a true gear-head and his equipment is all spotless. No signs of submersion at all (all electrical clean), the air filter and box was very clean. He changed the oil every 800 miles and used Mobil 1 Synthetic. The plow looking brand new (it's not), as well as the tires and wheels. The winch cable was nice and tight and looked almost new. It started fast from a cold start with the starter, and he started it with the rope too. $2,475 including delivery. I was happy as it included all options and was in excellent condition. Maybe overpaid, but he gave me a lot of confidence.

Thanks for all of the help, folks!

Links