I think I've gone Full Blown Gun Nut

This is a discussion on I think I've gone Full Blown Gun Nut within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There is a particular reason why I must acquire a Highway Patrolman, a gun that will be of little to no practical utility to me. ...

Thread: I think I've gone Full Blown Gun Nut

VIP Member

I think I've gone Full Blown Gun Nut

There is a particular reason why I must acquire a Highway Patrolman, a gun that will be of little to no practical utility to me. I suppose itís just because I enjoy guns. Or maybe Iíve gone full blown gun nut. Iím not sure.

You know you enjoy guns when you open your gun safe and you must practice mild contortions to reach through the maze of weaponry and myriad other accessories that either complement the weaponry or are the refuse from failed attempts to do so. The latter include grips that didnít quite fit your hand, scopes, red dots of questionable quality, and original parts long since swapped out of some gun to improve its performance and that now sits in your safe unfired.

Why these non-lethal odds and ends occupy space in your safe is a mystery until you look around the room in which your safe sits. More odds and ends - sight posts, peep sights, dust-covered tools purchased for that one-time project that yielded yet another obscure part that you tossed into a cardboard box containing more grips, cleaning supplies, patches, pins, and punches that you used to drift the pins out of their channels (what is in the place of those pins now you cannot recall). And of course the cardboard boxes in which you brought home many of your new babies (now all grown up).

And holsters. Lots of holsters. From pocket holsters made of folded fabric sewn together to that heavy leather shoulder holster that hangs from a brass hook and to the uninitiated look like a sadistic implement of bondage from which Houdini himself would not escape. Many of the holsters will also collect dust, because after much time and money you have settled on two, and perhaps three, that you favor, one of which is on you as you gaze over your modest armory.

But you know youíre a gun nut when you manage to pull out the weapon that caught your eye and with the inflection of surprise your inner monologue whoops ďHey, I forgot I had one of these!Ē For me the ďone of theseĒ is a Winchester 9422 made in the early 1980ís and unfired. I truly forgot it was in my safe and has been for well over a year. Iíve been meaning to clean it and then the take it to the range, but....Iíve been shooting my other guns. And the odd thing is that I had to have that 9422 when it came up for sale. I just had to. If I let it go I knew that I would forever regret forsaking such an opportunity. And if I brought that 9422 home then my .22 collection would be complete. Yes, it all made perfect sense! So of course I purchased the gun. When I finally got it home I looked it over lovingly. I gently cycled the action. I looked at the deep and rich wood of the stock and forearm. I applied a light oiling to its blue and put it in my safe.

And then I forgot about it until today. I suppose the reason I forgot about it was that after I purchased it I realized my .22 collection was lacking in rimfire revolvers. If I just had a Smith and Wesson 34-1, my .22 collection would be complete. And my wife gave me one for Christmas. And then a 1980 Model 63 came available - the perfect companion for my 34-1! All I needed to complete my .22 rimfire collection was the model 63. So I got it.

Iíve picked up a few more .22ís since then, and Iíve given up on trying to complete my .22 collection. At least for a while.

Instead Iím focusing on my Smith & Wesson .38/.357 collection. I have my eye on that 28-2 at present. Because once I have that 28-2 in my safe, my .38/.357 collection will be complete.

Yeah, I think I'm well past any hope of redemption.

2. Remove Ads

You do realize you're preaching to the choir, right?
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ó George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

What's your point?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    What's your point?
    His point is that he's probably glad he's NOT married.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    His point is that he's probably glad he's NOT married.
    Paragraph-6
    "my WIFE gave me one for Christmas"
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

I think it is a sickness without cure. However I can help you out with the clutter problem. PM me and I will pay the shipping charges to send it all to me. Then you can start all over again and be happy.
    I Love Guns!!!

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I have the very same affliction

I can relate all too well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links