Travel Costs

This is a discussion on Travel Costs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wife and I are taking her son and 2 grandchildren to Disney world in June. 5 people total: Leaving from Minneapolis MN We have three ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Travel Costs

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Travel Costs

Wife and I are taking her son and 2 grandchildren to Disney world in June. 5 people total: Leaving from Minneapolis MN We have three choices: Drive each way est. gas and food about $1,000 round trip, Airfare round trip about $2400, Or train about $2800. I left out bus as I'm not a good passenger in a motor vehicle; Especially at well over 24 hours each way.

Here is my complaint. We have Amtrac which is still in business only because it's government subsidized. It would take almost 2-1/2 days by train and cost more than Airfair. Other than for those with a fear of flying who would ever opt for the train? They brag about how much they can carry for cheap yet they charge more than about any other method or transport.

Guess for the extra $1,200 I'll opt for Airfair.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Whenever I travel, I try to drive it. Of course, I am an ex truck driver and driving long distances doesn't bother me. YMMV. I hate to fly because of all the hassle of the TSA, etc. But then again, I don't normally travel with my wife, son and grandchildren. I normally travel alone.

The other advantage to driving is that you then have YOUR car there. No mileage limitations and car rental hassles.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    As many hours as I have in the cockpit I do not care to be a passenger plus having a pacemaker forces me to submit to the TSA grope, I would much rather drive.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My parents always loved to travel, but my Dad alway insisted on driving his own car to get there. His main reason: "Once I get there, I want my OWN horse!"

And the price for Amtrak suprises me. Only once have I ever taken a train ( St. Louis to Chicago and back ), and the price was far less than driving, about the same time to get there, and didn't have to worry about parking while I was there. As I recall, two round trip tickets wre about $85.00 total.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

I'm always torn between driving and flying.

On one hand, I love flying because I get to visit different airports and for some reason, enjoy them very much so.

On the other, I love the solitude of driving long distances, taking in the scenery and just enjoying the long journey. It's when I do my "best thinking" and do my reflections.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I'm always torn between driving and flying.

On one hand, I love flying because I get to visit different airports and for some reason, enjoy them very much so.

On the other, I love the solitude of driving long distances, taking in the scenery and just enjoying the long journey. It's when I do my "best thinking" and do my reflections.
    I agree and would go that way if not for the number of people going (5) including (2) children. Now if I just owned a Class A motor-home :-(
    blitzburgh likes this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

VIP Member
    You don't know what the gas will cost you in June. You can lock in the price of the air. Unless you want your guns on you all the time I would fly and save the time. Plus wear and tear on your car. But..If you need a car down there they rape you on the rental car fees. (if you only have a WI permit it is no good in FL )
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I agree and would go that way if not for the number of people going (5) including (2) children. Now if I just owned a Class A motor-home :-(

Driving with that many people isn't very fun lol... and depending on the age of the kids, flying with them aren't fun for anybody either
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I seem to ALWAYS end up on a flight with at least 13 crying babies.. okay, maybe I'm exaggerating but still..
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The MouseTrap . . . in June . . . Good luck with that. I'd rather throw myself in front of a cattle stampede. Don't forget to pay extra to get the "special" tickets so you can stand in the special ticket line instead of the regular ticket line. But stand in line you will.
    IronMike likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't want to become your travel agent but - where are you staying and what are you going to see? At the very least you are going to need transportation to and from the airport. Granted if this is just a Disney trip and you are staying on the grounds you probably don't need a car. But if you want the grandkids to see the ocean, Busch Gardens, one of the gator farms or just get off the Disneyworld grounds you will need a car. If it were me and I'm paying the travel cost for everyone. I would put the son and grandkids on the plane and drive to Florida. Take their luggage with you and your wife to save on baggage fees. Probably cost the same and a lot less stressful. Whatever you choose have a safe and enjoyable trip.

I would rather take the gas pipe than visit the rat's home in June. Rude people, crowds, heat, long lines, heat, big bucks, heat, and finally humidity.

By the way, I'm only 60 miles away and haven't visited in 25 years.

VIP Member
    How many days will you be there? Is time a huge factor? Are you staying in DW or are you staying off site? Do you, or did you ever have any connection to the military? If so, "Shades of Green" is a great place to stay at Disney. Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort official website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy, Air

If time is a factor, I'd fly and rent a car down there. Why waste all your vacation time in the car?

It will be hot in early June but not so bad, and you expect hot, it IS Florida afterall. If you plan your days right, DW can be fun, especially watching the grandkids reaction and excitement. We haven't been in years but used to have a Florida Residents Pass and took our girls (when they were little) quite often.
    Maverickx50 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

What about motorhome rental?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The MouseTrap . . . in June . . . Good luck with that. I'd rather throw myself in front of a cattle stampede. Don't forget to pay extra to get the "special" tickets so you can stand in the special ticket line instead of the regular ticket line. But stand in line you will.
    Wife is disabled and I'm old. Given were trying to keep up with two 8 and 11 year old kids we decided to rent electric carts for the week. So I'll sit in line LOL Maybe run over a couple of mice while there even. Wife says we might even get special front of line treatment but not counting on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links