Tornado season: cartoons, photos you've taken, etc

This is a discussion on Tornado season: cartoons, photos you've taken, etc within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, tornado season is about here. For all those near "the alley," hopefully you've got your go-bag all set, along with your NOAA broadcasts plugged ...

Thread: Tornado season: cartoons, photos you've taken, etc

Well, tornado season is about here. For all those near "the alley," hopefully you've got your go-bag all set, along with your NOAA broadcasts plugged into your phone's text message feature, got plenty of water/spares in the basement.

Got photos you've taken, of twisters/damage nearby your home? Got any humorous cartoons that help put things in perspective? Got any suggestions for the go-bag or basic prep that folks might have forgotten?

Here's one to get the ball rolling ...

Tornado Alley cartoon.jpg

And here are a couple from just up the road, one year ago: an F4 that made a mess of Henryville, Indiana ...

original.jpg

henryville-indiana-tornado.jpg

Henryville twister pics @ Bing
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    That's something I've never see first hand, even having lived in west Texas for 5 years. Did you take those pictures? They are pretty amazing. Stay safe! Do you have a tornado shelter to go to?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    This is a summary of a tornado that struck Altus AFB 11 May 1982. Scroll down to page 10 and you will see a picture of a heavily damaged C-5A Galaxy, that was my girlfriends airplane when she was stationed there as a crewchief in 1982. The airplane was turned by the wind and impacted the wing of another C-5, oh and just parked on the ramp the normal weight was between 450,000-500,000 pounds.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/weweb/pubs/...%20altus03.pdf
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That's something I've never see first hand, even having lived in west Texas for 5 years. Did you take those pictures? They are pretty amazing. Stay safe! Do you have a tornado shelter to go to?
    No, the photos were taken by someone else. This all occurred just up the road from me, about 25mi away. But while it all was happening, things were a mess everywhere, with lots of smaller strikes and near-strikes across the region. It was an ugly day or two. A number of us had the basement steps in sight, during the worst parts of it.

Went through that town a couple months later and was silenced by the destruction. I've seen remnants from a couple prior twisters, albeit very small ones. This one made a bad mess of things, F4 that it was. Had it struck one of the larger cities head-on, it could have caused hundreds of casualties, if not more.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That first picture is much older than a year old. But don't get me wrong, it is still impressive.

snopes.com: Iowa Tornado

I have a few pictures I took while storm chasing one day. I might try to find them if I remember after work.

Here's a document on the Union City, OK tornado: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Here are a few pictures from the infamous May 3, 1999 storm:

The damage path:

My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Earth sheltered structures are tornado resistant. Why aren't these building methods incorporated when it has been proven time and again above grade buildings are sorely lacking?
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Sponsored Links