"HABEMUS PAPUM!" - "We Have A Pope":

This is a discussion on "HABEMUS PAPUM!" - "We Have A Pope": within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, this is a very odd thing to be posting on a gun forum, but why not: There is a new Pope: Pope Francis blesses ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: "HABEMUS PAPUM!" - "We Have A Pope":

"HABEMUS PAPUM!" - "We Have A Pope":

Well, this is a very odd thing to be posting on a gun forum, but why not: There is a new Pope:

Pope Francis blesses crowd in St. Peter's Square | Fox News Video

Regardless of religious beliefs, it was very moving to watch such an ancient ritual reenacted again. I know nothing about the man, he is from Argentina, the first from Latin America.

He is said to be a very holy man, and I immediately liked this: he was also described as a man of the people, and he presently rides the bus to work everyday as a Cardinal. I think our leaders should do the same - and work in a coal mine some time each year. (The new pope grew up poor also).

Again regardless of religion, picking up a newspaper you can almost despair of the lack of charity in the world and the hate and killing of the innocent - so a common and holy man raised to great office is perhaps a fitting counter-note to all that, and I hope he can lead by power of example. May he do well...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    He seems like a worthy choice and hopefully will move the church along in the right direction.
    84160 and WHEC724 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Is he Catholic?

I've always wanted a Baptist Pope.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I've always wanted a Baptist Pope.
    I personally thought a Mormon Pope would be interesting.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

According to the prophecy of the popes, he is the last pope.

Bring on the apocalypse!

VIP Member
    In all seriousness, after learning a little more about more Pope Francis, I am impressed. This man has the heart and humility to lead. He'll remain in my prayers (even if he's not Baptist ;-).
    Jeanlouise and detective like this.

VIP Member
    From what I have been able to surmise, you Romans have gotten a good one.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Unless the new pope is going to make changes to bring the church into current times, I see samo-samo. To me it seems stuck in the Dark Ages.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Unless the new pope is going to make changes to bring the church into current times, I see samo-samo. To me it seems stuck in the Dark Ages.
    That's why there is so much enthusiasm for this new Pope. Not sure what you mean by it being stuck in the dark ages though. Do you mean the rituals?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Interesting choice from my Episcopalian viewpoint. Only time will tell just exactly how he will lead the Church. They have some really bad issues to contend with, hopefully they will be resolved.

We have a few practicing and former Roman Catholics who come to our church, we are not that much different, except we do not elect nor recognize the Pope as our Church Leader.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That's why there is so much enthusiasm for this new Pope. Not sure what you mean by it being stuck in the dark ages though. Do you mean the rituals?
    I don't want to get involved in or start any religious discussions (or politics for that matter), but mainly the policies themselves. To me, too many remain stuck in the Spanish Inquisition era rather than keeping current with the needs and desires of today's populace. To me, the argument of that's the way it has always been is the same as claiming 2A only guarentees the right muzzle-loading flintlocks. Times (and people) change.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I don't want to get involved in or start any religious discussions (or politics for that matter), but mainly the policies themselves. To me, too many remain stuck in the Spanish Inquisition era rather than keeping current with the needs and desires of today's populace. To me, the argument of that's the way it has always been is the same as claiming 2A only guarentees the right muzzle-loading flintlocks. Times (and people) change.
    How do you mean stuck in the Spanish Inquisition era?

I think the church has a lot of work to do and has made some serious mistakes in the past. Every Catholic I know realizes that and are just as horrified over the child abuse scandals as any other person of good faith.

No non-Catholic has been tortured in the past few centuries (that I know of anyway).

I look at it htis way. Technology changes things but not principals. The foundation of the 2A is the right to bear arms blah blah. Technology just screws up folks that forget what the purpose was meant to be. IAW: the 2A is timeless as written because it does not specify what weapons, just the philosophy.

Now, for the Catholic Church, or any church. Their ideal and beleifs should not be affected by modern technology or culture (as a general rule). Of course it brings in to question certain things, such as when does life begin. But that has been an ongoing medical debate. Regardless of what science ever says, if a religion BELEIVES that lifes starts at conception, then that is when it starts. It does not need technology to either validate or invaldiate their BELIEF.

That is one reason why we do not have a state spnosored religion. Our laws are based on maral prinicpals held by all, not just a selct few in a particular religion.

Times and people do change. The use of contraceptives being a big one. Just because "everybody" does it, does not mean that the Catholic Church should change thier core belief about the use of contraceptives.

Just like many folks now want to ban assualt weapons, you don't change your laws on the current view if it is part of your core belief, in this case the 2A.

I have no idea how the Spanish Inquisition got into this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

No Arguments? From OP:

Please understand: the furthest thing in mind was to start a religious criticism or argument with my thread. It was just that I found a note of humility and hope in this man. He sounded like a humble man of peace. There's a lot of negatives in the world - including those problems of this religion - but perhaps he will be a counter-balance to all that and do good in the world
    Mine was a positive post: a vote for simplicity and gentleness of spirit.

Could we follow that spirit here if at all possible?
    Last edited by detective; March 14th, 2013 at 03:03 PM.

VIP Member
    OK, back to the topic. I'm very excited over this selection because he seems to be down to earth and more in touch with the real world. I love that his first words were, "buona sera" and he asked that people pray for him. It said so much about him in those few short moments of his time as Pope.
    detective likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links