new math

This is a discussion on new math within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Years of Math 1950 - 2010 Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: new math

new math

Years of Math 1950 - 2010

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register.

I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?
    2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?
    4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20.. What do you think of this way of making a living?

Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

7. Teaching Math In 2013

Who cares, just steal the lumber from your rich neighbor's property. He won't have a gun to stop you, and the Gubmint says it's OK anyway cuz it's redistributing the wealth.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    is that ever the truth!!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Came here for Oak's satire (even thought you're right), was not disappointed.
    oakchas likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register.

I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

My wife is a high school English teacher. It's not just math that's a problem. Getting kids to read more than 140 characters and write legible words is a challenge in and of itself.
    Poseidon and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    When I was in school, I never understood new math. Now, I know why. I was expected to be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    When I was in school, I never understood new math. Now, I know why. I was expected to be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
    Had a guy in his 40's come into work (Home Depot) the other day and ask me how to calculate the area of a square.

I'm not kidding.

VIP Member
    A while back I purchased something (don’t remember what) but I gave the cashier the exact change even before he rung it up, he stood there for a few seconds then asked “How did you do that”.
    WHEC724 and NONAME762 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If that ain't the truth, Oak. To Msgt, it's amazing to me that people can't do simple arithmetic in their heads. I guess the old school teaching methods worked, huh? This coming from a confirmed grumpy old man.
    msgt/ret and NONAME762 like this.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    It's a shame that kids aren't taught the basic math skills needed to get through life...like how to count back change. It's so simple but you have to show someone how to do it before they know.

They should teach a Basic Life Skills class in High School and make it mandatory. There's all sorts of things people need to know, but unless they're told or shown, they don't.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

A few years back my wife and I stopped at a Denney’s in Arizona. When we went to pay the check came to $9.50 and I gave the casher a ten dollar bill (before anyone screams I left the $2.00 tip on the table). The casher looked at the ten and at the check and got out her calculator to determine how much change to give back (this was before cash registers that told how much change to give).
    A month or so later we returned to the same Denney’s and had the same casher. This time I made it really hard on the poor girl. The check was $9.80 and I gave her a twenty! Out came the calculator once more! This girl was a graduate of the local High School.
    Yet another time I was in a store and I saw the cash register display, it had a picture of each coin and bill that were needed to make up my change and by each picture was the number of coins or bills needed to make change. I guess the owner gave up hope of ever finding a casher that could make change!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerJoe View Post
    A few years back my wife and I stopped at a Denney’s in Arizona. When we went to pay the check came to $9.50 and I gave the casher a ten dollar bill (before anyone screams I left the $2.00 tip on the table). The casher looked at the ten and at the check and got out her calculator to determine how much change to give back (this was before cash registers that told how much change to give).
    A month or so later we returned to the same Denney’s and had the same casher. This time I made it really hard on the poor girl. The check was $9.80 and I gave her a twenty! Out came the calculator once more! This girl was a graduate of the local High School.
    Yet another time I was in a store and I saw the cash register display, it had a picture of each coin and bill that were needed to make up my change and by each picture was the number of coins or bills needed to make change. I guess the owner gave up hope of ever finding a casher that could make change!
    I'm calling BS on this one.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    They should teach a Basic Life Skills class in High School and make it mandatory.
    Or maybe parents could actually take part in the process of raising their own kids and make sure they're learning this stuff by going through it with them themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm calling BS on this one.
    Might I ask why? I could not and would not make this up.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Or maybe parents could actually take part in the process of raising their own kids and make sure they're learning this stuff by going through it with them themselves.
    Yeah, that would be great, assuming the kid had parents that cared enough to do it. Unfortunately, not all kids do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links