How many folks should carry concealed?

This is a discussion on How many folks should carry concealed? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I saw this qoute in another thread and did not want to get the thread OT but want to hear your views on it. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How many folks should carry concealed?

How many folks should carry concealed?

I saw this qoute in another thread and did not want to get the thread OT but want to hear your views on it.

It was about when we should stop being gray men
    When we're at ~20-30% or more of the carrying population actually carrying, then I'll begin to believe we're nearing a time when it'll be commonplace for upstanding armed people to step in and be accepted for that being the commonly decent and right thing to do.
    First of all before folks misunderstand, I don't care if 100 percent of the eligible population carries. That is always a personal choice. Now, I ask you this: what kind of country would this be if 20-30 percent or more of the population really felt the need to carry 24/7 for protection. That would indicicate crime is totally out of control before CC'ers ever even came close to that number.

EDIT: In other words; I do not FEEL the need to carry 24/7. But I normally do to be on the safe side that an anamoly would happen and I need it. The fact is most folks will never need a weapon for SD. But is sure is nice to have if an event happens.
    kerberos likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

I don't "feel the need" to carry every day, I choose to. I don't carry because I expect to have a violent felony against myself in ever increasing chances, but because of that one off chance that it might.
    84160 and kews12 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I saw this qoute in another thread and did not want to get the thread OT but want to hear your views on it.

First of all before folks misunderstand, I don't care if 100 percent of the eligible population carries. That is always a personal choice. Now, I ask you this: what kind of country would this be if 20-30 percent or more of the population really felt the need to carry 24/7 for protection. That would indicicate crime is totally out of control before CC'ers ever even came close to that number.

EDIT: In other words; I do not FEEL the need to carry 24/7. But I normally do to be on the safe side that an anamoly would happen and I need it. The fact is most folks will never need a weapon for SD. But is sure is nice to have if an event happens.
    I am not sure we will ever see those kind of numbers in the CC community. I, like you, do not feel the need 24/7 but, carry to be on the safe side. If 20-30 percent felt the need to carry I would venture a guess that there is a problem and, with that kind of crime I have a feeling that CC would be outlawed.

Re: How many folks should carry concealed?

As an aside, I've often posted that the odds of dying from firearms assault is 1 in 314... About the same a having a reportable house fire....

Would it be unreasonable for 20 to 30 % of households to have a fire extinguisher? Do they feel a "need" to have that fire extinguisher? Is it because of the prevalence of house fires?

Just sayin'.
    kews12 likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Being a police officer I carry all the time at work. When off duty I carry about 95%+ of the time. Not because I feel the need to carry but because I am not a fortune teller. I can not predict what will happen on any given day. I can not control what actions another person may make on any given day. I can only control my actions on any given day.
    84160, USM1976, mulle46 and 1 others like this.

In the past I didnt carry a lot. I now carry every chance I get. I cant at work so that limits my carry time. I carry more now than I ever did since Ive had my permit.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    As an aside, I've often posted that the odds of dying from firearms assault is 1 in 314... About the same a having a reportable house fire....

Would it be unreasonable for 20 to 30 % of households to have a fire extinguisher? Do they feel a "need" to have that fire extinguisher? Is it because of the prevalence of house fires?

Just sayin'.
    Where did that statistic come from? I have heard so many different quotes on the chances of a fatal encounter in a SD situation. I can't believe it is as common as "1 in 314. I heard more like the chances of being struck and killed by a lightening strike. We're can we find truthful stats?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I carry of-duty to minimize the chance my family needs anything.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

As many as want to............
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Something about that quote reminds me that it's nice to live in an area where gun owners/carriers ARE thought of as decent, upstanding people. Unfortunately, that's a feeling that not everyone on this board will experience. I work at a place where about 75-80% of the employees either have, or are in the process of getting, their CC permit. I can only think of a couple of folks close to me that don't own guns. The majority of my family and friends carry in some form.

FWIW, I never bought into the grey man thing completely. When it became obvious to me that there were leaders in this country that were trying to make me out to be something I was not I became more vocal. I speak my mind on guns every chance I get and open carry pretty regularly as well. But it would take an awful lot for me to intervene in someone else's business. I'm carrying the ability to end someone's life. And if the situation does not call for that, you have to tread very carefully in how involved you are getting.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

If someone wants to Carry that's OK - if someone is doing it and its uncomfortable for them I'd say use a non-lethal weapon and don't do it because you're "supposed to".

I also don't CCW 24/7 but under certain conditions that I know involve some potential danger. Other times I don't. It's true anything can happen anytime but so can a 100 other things we don't treat as near dangers but as flukes and don't worry about them or try to defend against them - like catching smallpox. Most don't wear masks around because of this fluke chance of catching it. Or never crossing a street because we could be struck by a car. If you tried to protect yourself from every remote danger you'd go crazy. So, we tend to take action only against real possibilities of danger - like being alert while driving because car accidents are NOT a remote danger.

(I just saw someplace recently that the chances anyone working at a school together with students attending a school have 1 in a 3 million chance of being involved in a school-shooting - i.e., being hurt or killed.

The chances of being struck by lightning are 1 in one million.

Given the huge number of personnel and students in every level of education in the U.S. and the average number wounded or killed in school-shootings that sounds likely pretty accurate.

I guess Ill be the odd guy out again. I carry 24/7 and dont feel a need too I know that I need too.
    I dont play the carry odds against other things. I ride motorcycles all the time. No helmet, no seat belt usually. Im hardly the safety freak sort of person.

But you only have to hit me over the head with a hammer once let alone twice to educate me. And I was hit hard.

Many will disagree with me on this.
    If you have the mindset to defend yourself then you should be armed. Period. As much of the time as possible by law.

If you dont and will hesitate or falter should you be placed in a SD position, you shouldnt since you likely will only arm your own attacker with your weapon to kill you with.
    Being taken out by an act of nature or accident is one thing. Nobody can guard against all things all the time. Nor control a great many things.

Being snuffed out by a thug for your watch or nothing is an insult to you or your loved ones very existence. That can be guarded against, defended against and stopped if you make yourself ready and able to do so.
    Just my opinion.
    Vermontgunowner likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I guess Ill be the odd guy out again. I carry 24/7 and dont feel a need too I know that I need too.
    I dont play the carry odds against other things. I ride motorcycles all the time. No helmet, no seat belt usually. Im hardly the safety freak sort of person.

But you only have to hit me over the head with a hammer once let alone twice to educate me. And I was hit hard.

Many will disagree with me on this.
    If you have the mindset to defend yourself then you should be armed. Period. As much of the time as possible by law.

If you dont and will hesitate or falter should you be placed in a SD position, you shouldnt since you likely will only arm your own attacker with your weapon to kill you with.
    Being taken out by an act of nature or accident is one thing. Nobody can guard against all things all the time. Nor control a great many things.

Being snuffed out by a thug for your watch or nothing is an insult to you or your loved ones very existence. That can be guarded against, defended against and stopped if you make yourself ready and able to do so.
    Just my opinion.
    I don't wear a safety belt on a motorcycle either

Not sure what you are saying but I disagree with assesment of folks that do not carry 24/7. I run over 8 miles a whack (up to 20) so I do not carry. It is a risk assesment. Male runners have almost a zero chance of being attacked it has happened but statistically almost never. The last one I know of the guy would have never got his weapon out. If something were to happen I train regularly on H2H and have been doing it for decades.

Many encounters with BG;s happen close up where drawing a weapon might not be practical and H2H might be better. I would hazard to guess that the vast majority of folks that carry 24/7 do no further training than going to the range and shooting paper targets from a static position. Hardly any do any FOF or H2H training. So who is better prepared and have the midset to survive?

My son was taught at an early age to defend himself. Besides having many achievements in martial arts, he is now doing MMA and boxing. I think he has a better mindset than many folks that carry and do no training.

Carrying a weapon 24/7 does not necessarily mean one has a mindset to do the right thing and no garuntee they will react when needed.

In a nutshell, carrying 24/7 just means you have a tool avialable. It menas nothing how well one react. There is no idication that folks that don't carry 24/7 are more or less likely to have their own weapon taken away from them. I personally think that is a fallacy. IF, and that is a big IF, folks that carry 24/7 spend more time taking care of their bodies, do more realistic range time, and take FOF and H2H instruction then they would be better off than someoen that does nothing.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Re: How many folks should carry concealed?

Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    Where did that statistic come from? I have heard so many different quotes on the chances of a fatal encounter in a SD situation. I can't believe it is as common as "1 in 314. I heard more like the chances of being struck and killed by a lightening strike. We're can we find truthful stats?
    IIRC, the 1in 314 comes from the 2009 National Safety Foundation odds of dying from chart...

Edit: the stats are from the National Safety COUNCIL, not foundation... I no longer have the original link.. But the odds of dying, top ten, that quotes NSC data from 2007 can be found at about.com, search for odds of dying

We should all train, against more than static targets. Some do, many don't.

We often spout stats from Lott and or Kleck, who have said many violent crimes have been stopped by the mere display of a firearm.

I believe those statistics to be somewhat believable. Enough so that I don't believe everybody who used the display of a firearm as a means of self defense probably had any training beyond paper targets.

There have been a few who have perhaps attempted to display a weapon, hoping that it would be "enough", only to discover their failure to train, and/or to act decisively, cost them dearly...

But, if we are to believe Kleck's or Lott's stats, the numbers of dead by their own gun are STATISTICALLY insignificant.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    If I felt a "need" to carry, I'd re-evaluate the situation and see what I could change. Still, there are times and places that carrying is a good idea, especially in strange cities that I don't know where the bad neighborhoods and times of day are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links