American Flag

This is a discussion on American Flag within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I couldn't help but notice a major drop in the people that still fly the American Flag on their houses and business's. In my subdivision ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: American Flag

American Flag

I couldn't help but notice a major drop in the people that still fly the American Flag on their houses and business's. In my subdivision we have two. My house and my neighbor two doors down, who is also pro gun. So tell me, how many of you still fly the flag on your property? If you choose not to fly the flag feel free to comment, but please explain why.
    Thank You
    tony1990 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I fly it. I take it down at night. I raise it each morning. I dip it when appropriate (side of house mount, can't fly at half mast).

Now you mention it, I havn't seen as many lately either. Few years ago most people flew it. Now, not so much.

Welcome to the "new and improved" America................
    Poseidon likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I try to on every 'official' flag holiday.

Always liked seeing flags as a kid and wanted to own my own someday. Unfortunately, it took a national tragedy for me to finally do so. I too noticed that the numbers seem to have dwindled, which is unfortunate.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    I fly it as well...official holidays as well and pretty much Memorial Day through Labor Day. I love flying the Red, White, and Blue!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

I was thinking about this earlier today (actually it's yesterday now) as I was walking back from the mailbox and took a moment to look at the new flag I installed on our house a few weeks ago and I had said to myself "you should start a poll on DC and ask whether or not people are flying their flags".

My wife and I moved to Texas a few years ago and we bought a house not that long ago. About a month ago I was admiring how nice the house looks, how the landscaping looks so much better than it did when we bought the house and I was looking at all the improvements like the workshop and the fence. As I was standing there, I said to myself "something else needs to be done" and I was trying think of what we need to do to the house next and I was drawing a blank. Then I heard something coming from behind me slightly off to the left...flap, flut, clink, clank, flap, flut...I didn't have to turn around to know what it was I was hearing, I knew right away...It was my neighbor flag fluttering in the wind clinking the pole as it flew high and proud. My gosh, with all the work we have been doing around here, I hadn't put up our flag yet because our house didn't have a pole or a bracket on the house to hold a flag. I remedied that problem real quick and I also hung a couple flags in the workshop.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

have an apartment and cant fly one, want to tho
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

I fly mine on certain days. Up at dawn and down before dusk. My next door neighbors buy one, put it up and never take it down until it is faded and shredded to ribbons.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by WINTEJER000 View Post
    have an apartment and cant fly one, want to tho
    Display in window.............
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I don't fly the flag. After 23 years in the Army I think I already showed my love the country. I do not see anyone being more or less patriotic if they choose to fly the flag or not.
    AZJD1968 and Mike1956 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I fly the flag and it's illuminated at night.

I fly mine during the "appropriate" times. Sometimes just because I feel like it. There are 7-8 of us that fly on our block.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

I have displayed the Flag in the past but have not been very consistient in doing that. People just do not think that displaying the American Flag is all that important anymore except for the "appropriate" occasions such as Memorial Day, Flag Day etc.

Ironically, a few months ago I was considering making a flag pole, setting it up out front and displaying both the American and my State flag. This thread could be a reminder.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Gotta go with suntzu on this. Standing tall for 20 years is more than most flag-wavers will ever do.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We fly 3 on our 5 acres. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links