Jeeps

Jeeps

This is a discussion on Jeeps within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Why is it that Jeep Grand Cherokees are so affordable, but a Wrangler of the same year and similar mileage will be so much more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Jeeps

Jeeps

Why is it that Jeep Grand Cherokees are so affordable, but a Wrangler of the same year and similar mileage will be so much more expensive... Then if you want a 4-door Wrangler it is even more expensive.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Can't answer that, but I've owned two Jeeps in my lifetime and both conspired to bankrupt me. Never again.
    DJC7 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    Why is it that Jeep Grand Cherokees are so affordable, but a Wrangler of the same year and similar mileage will be so much more expensive... Then if you want a 4-door Wrangler it is even more expensive.
    For whatever reason Wranglers hold value. I would love to own one myself if they drove a little better on road and were known for better reliability.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Can't answer that, but I've owned two Jeeps in my lifetime and both conspired to bankrupt me. Never again.
    Same experience with two Grand Cherokees.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It is because most teen aged boys want a wrangler and about 1/2 the girls want a wrangler, and old men like me want a wrangler for a toy. Grand cherokees on the other hand are not the same, not a convertible, but they are just as capable and just as big a money pit. I love my jeep and will do all I can to keep it running for as long as possible. 2006 2 Dr.Unlimited TJ - Long jeep. Two tops- convertible and hard top, 3.5 inch lift, 33X12X15 Mickey Thompson Baja MTR's, winch, skid plates, aftermarket bumpers front and rear, rock rails, and misc other fancy and useful accessories. It is more expensive than my gun addiction and a whole lot of fun just like the guns.

Jeep Just. Empty. Every. Pocket.

Does your Jeep come w/a gun?

I thought this site was about guns.....No?

I'm in the same boat as many others. Owned a Grand Cherokee for a couple years and it will be the last Jeep I ever own. Absolute junk.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    You are correct. You can get a 1999-2004 dirt cheap ($4500-$5500 in good condition). Although the GCs are nice looking they are High Maint! I had 2 Cherokee Sports and never did a thing to and they ran forever. However I had a 2001 GC and it was junk and I got rid of it. The CJ7......well that was a whole other never ending project. Fun to drive but something was always breaking on it. My son has the wrangler and hasn't had too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    For whatever reason Wranglers hold value. I would love to own one myself if they drove a little better on road and were known for better reliability.
    Me too. I test drove one a few years ago and thought it would be a blast on a ranch, if I had one, but for any other driving, I might as well get a tractor.
    NONAME762 likes this.

The Wranglers (YJ, TJ, JK) all hold their value because they are a unique vehicle. The Grand Cherokee is just another SUV that happens to be a Jeep. Yes, it is pretty capable, but it's still a regular SUV.

Me, well I'll take the good 'ole Cherokee any day. They're pretty much dirt cheap these days, impossible to find without rust in my area though.
    JEEP.jpg

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    My dad got me hooked on Jeeps when my first vehicle at age 16 was a '67 Wagoneer. We dropped in a Chevy 350 and Turbo 350 tranny. Wheeled that thing and it would go just about anywhere. I currently have a 2006 TJ Sport, bone stock because other things are conspiring against me to spend my disposable income.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.
    paaiyan, packinnova and msgt/ret like this.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

Jeeps are JUNK. Wranglers are even more worthless. Yes they are cool. but they are so impractical its not even funny.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    Jeeps are JUNK. Wranglers are even more worthless. Yes they are cool. but they are so impractical its not even funny.
    I completely disagree. I work rotating shifts in operations at the local nuke plant and have to be able to get to work regardless of the weather. My Wrangler will do that.
    packinnova likes this.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links