Anyone Ever Have Experience With a Bad Neck: Mine Is killing Me: HELP!

This is a discussion on Anyone Ever Have Experience With a Bad Neck: Mine Is killing Me: HELP! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 6 weeks ago I did some stretching exercises and the next day had some very minor muscle pain in my neck (as opposed to all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Anyone Ever Have Experience With a Bad Neck: Mine Is killing Me: HELP!

Anyone Ever Have Experience With a Bad Neck: Mine Is killing Me: HELP!

6 weeks ago I did some stretching exercises and the next day had some very minor muscle pain in my neck (as opposed to all the pains-in-the neck I work with).

It's gotten steadily worse and now interferes much with my life. I use heat, cold, I take a huge doctor-prescribed dose of Mortin which helps but that stuff can wreck your guts - I take 600mg 4/x a day, some days more. An X-Ray showed moderate to severe arthritis yet I had no pain before the light stretching. Next week I go to Physical Therapy. I'm concerned since if it's arthritis as opposed to an injury how will it ever get better? And now it's pretty unsupportable. Makes shooting hard also.

Anyone ever have this kind of problem and/or advice?

Thanks, weird topic I know....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not one for chiropractors, but it may be worth a visit. I had a rib get out of place (a follow-on to a 3-wheeler incident) and he popped it back in. I thought he'd broken my spine but within an hour the pain was history.
    DJC7 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    With neck pain, I'd make an appointment with a Neurosurgeon. Not that you'd need surgery, but he can evaluate you and steer you in the right direction. Neck and back pain is awful. I hope you get the problem solved quickly.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I have had a bad neck for some years and can't get any help for it. I went to the V.A. had X-rays and got blown off with "normal wear and tear" old man syndrone. At 72 almost everything hurts. I would be very careful about chiropractic massage it can cause stroke according the V.A. Doc. Just sayin

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    6 weeks ago I did some stretching exercises and the next day had some very minor muscle pain in my neck (as opposed to all the pains-in-the neck I work with).

It's gotten steadily worse and now interferes much with my life. I use heat, cold, I take a huge doctor-prescribed dose of Mortin which helps but that stuff can wreck your guts - I take 600mg 4/x a day, some days more. An X-Ray showed moderate to severe arthritis yet I had no pain before the light stretching. Next week I go to Physical Therapy. I'm concerned since if it's arthritis as opposed to an injury how will it ever get better? And now it's pretty unsupportable. Makes shooting hard also.

Gees, I read that and thought I might have written that myself without remembering. I am sitting here with a heating pad on my neck/shoulders due to pain. A few weeks ago an MRI showed some bulging disks.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I've had a pain in my neck since the Presidential election in 2008......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15VSCoyote View Post
    I've had a pain in my neck since the Presidential election in 2008......
    Actually the pain is considerably lower than the neck.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    With neck pain, I'd make an appointment with a Neurosurgeon. Not that you'd need surgery, but he can evaluate you and steer you in the right direction. Neck and back pain is awful. I hope you get the problem solved quickly.
    Thanks, good advice. There's so many nerves around the spine that tracking pain can be a real Sherlock Homes mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm not one for chiropractors, but it may be worth a visit. I had a rib get out of place (a follow-on to a 3-wheeler incident) and he popped it back in. I thought he'd broken my spine but within an hour the pain was history.
    God, that sounds horribly painful!

Quote Originally Posted by RichB70 View Post
    I have had a bad neck for some years and can't get any help for it. I went to the V.A. had X-rays and got blown off with "normal wear and tear" old man syndrone. At 72 almost everything hurts. I would be very careful about chiropractic massage it can cause stroke according the V.A. Doc. Just sayin

Rich
    Thanks for sharing your story, yes I'm ambivalent about chiropractors, some may help but some may do harm, and it's our neck or spine not our toe, not a lot of room for error there.

I read acupuncture can work well for neck pain, though that is not #1 on my list of where to get help, I'll try the physical therapy and hope that does it. But you might look into it for your predicament which is much more long-standing than mine. Stay with State Certified Acupuncturists that article I read also stated. Anyhow a thought for you and I wish you the best. Now I know what those who suffer chronic pain go through, and mine has really been short (and God willing, will end up being short) Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Gees, I read that and thought I might have written that myself without remembering. I am sitting here with a heating pad on my neck/shoulders due to pain. A few weeks ago an MRI showed some bulging disks.
    So sorry... what do they recommend?

I woke up one morning to go hunting and my neck hurt. I made it out of the house and a couple miles down the road before I turned back home. I barely made it back into bed, and barely made it out later. After a lot of DR visits, an orthopedist, and an MRI I found out I have 2 herniated and one bulging disk in my neck. Physical therapy helped a lot. I quit taking the meds recently. It was bad for about 3 months but has been settled down for about a year with an occasional flair up.

After talking to a nurse I know she told me that sudden onset neck pain without some type of mechanism of injury is usually a bulging or herniated disk. Once they hit the nerves you start to feel it. I had numbness, tingling, and cramping in my left arm really bad too with mine.

I went to a chiropractor for years. And it helped control it for a long time. The problem is, it does not fix the problem. I wish I had pursued a second opinion because I really think this started with a work accident that was not properly diagnosed. Find out what the problem is and you can better work to fix it.
    detective likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Yes, i have neck pain that radiates into and at times freezes up my left shoulder a bit. It really sucks because i'm a fairly young lad... I need to see a doc someday but i hate pain meds etc.

I think it's a combination of an old injury and terrible posture... Neck and upper back pain is no joke and probably some of the most debilitating pain i've personally endured.

Wish i had some good advice. But it seems like it's a hit and miss thing when the worst of the pain will come. High stress days seem to trigger the brunt of it.

It's a real pain in the neck.

I had a herniated disc several years ago that was causing pain in my neck, shoulder and down my arm unless I was able to sit and prop my arm in just the right location and it especially hurt when I'd lift my chin to shave. I went to a chiropractor for several months before he decided to tell me he thought it was a herniated disc and there really wasn't anything that could be done but give it time. Sure enough after about 6 months it 'healed itself', but it was a painful 6 months. I'm not saying that's what your ailment is, but it's a possibility.
    detective likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post

I began to develop arthritis the Spring or Fall of 2008 in my left leg. All of the medical professionals I've spoken to (in their 30s and 40s) tell me staying actve and walking a mile or 2 a day, every day is the best cure. I'll look them in the eye and say something akin to are you outta your ever lovin' mind?? Walking is when it hurts the MOST!!! So...I've learned to just deal with the pain. It's just part and parcel of getting older. I might try Acupuncture one of these days. I put a heck of alot more stock in Natural methods these days after all the FDA foul ups I've read about the last couple years. That goes for the AMA too. Naturopathic Medicine and a physician you can trust is key.

I would say find out all you can about your ailments and research the healing methods available. If you have any bad habits as I do you may want to try giving them up (if you can w/o going bonkers) or (driving your close friends/wife bonkers). I wish I could say something positive but I'm afraid I can't. You've probably heard this before but just be Thankful you don't have Alzheimer's or Incontinence. I've learned once you're diagnosed with the 2 I've mentioned the first Right you lose when moving into a Care Facility (even the nice places) is your 2A. This is a Mandate of the state wherever you are. Sad but true.

detective likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links