Noticed Something Sickly Amusing About a Local Range

This is a discussion on Noticed Something Sickly Amusing About a Local Range within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A friend of mine asked if I knew the street address for a large outdoor range in the area with skeet/trap facilities so he could ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Noticed Something Sickly Amusing About a Local Range

A friend of mine asked if I knew the street address for a large outdoor range in the area with skeet/trap facilities so he could pass it along to someone. I go to google and look up a range that I know has them, up pops the satellite image map on google maps and I notice what exactly? The range is right next to a golf course and the skeet/trap stations point directly at the course! There are two roads that lead to the range and I always take the same one, I never even knew the gold course was there. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be a bit uncomfortable playing golf with a shooting range 200 yards away! Here's the image if you want to see what I mean:

Google Maps

Gives new meaning to FORE!

I would most certainly avoid that one bunker in the southwest corner.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Administrator
    The golf course is well out of shotgun range, and even if there was a strong tail wind that carried some shot that far, the velocity would be harmless.
    thephanatik and atctimmy like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, it's really more like 400-450 yards.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    After watching some golfers play, they deserve to be shot.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    After watching some golfers play, they deserve to be shot.
    Hey . . . I resemble that remark!
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The golf course is well out of shotgun range, and even if there was a strong tail wind that carried some shot that far, the velocity would be harmless.
    Agreed. At 200 yds there is absolutely nothing to fear. Most skeet ranges shoot shot from #7 to #9 and there is no way anyone would be in danger. No problem here at all.

I should add that our pistol range is just 100 yards from the skeet range. Now of course there is a substantial berm that would prevent any direct shot, but some shot occasionally lands on the pistol range near the target backers and it is harmless.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

Nice range is my first thought, wish we had something like that in my area.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...ed=0CDkQrwswAA
    That is my little po-dunk range. cant see the pistol range in the map (furthest south) has about 8 lanes for pistol. also the 100 yd/.22 range in the middle about 8-10 lanes and the 50yd rifle range furthest north with about 10-12 lanes. i actually live almost directly west of the 50 yd range around 1400 yds, luckily the range is about 50 ft below street level and the berm is about 50 ft above that. And we have no skeet range to speak of. With the legislation in the works (WA State) for not allowing mags over 10 rounds anywhere but in your safe, traveling to the range or at a sanctioned range I am not going to be able to go up to the rock quarry (about a half hour east) and trap or target shoot for much longer. i guess a "under/over" they couldnt really take from me but all of my weapons have "standard cap" mags which far exceed the 10 round limit that is being proposed.

I'll keep my freedom......you can have your money!

I did a quick measurement, the nearest place someone would be shooting a shotgun to the nearest place on course outside of the trees is about 500 yards. Golfers are definitely safe from shot. Not sure if you could volley a slug 500 yards over those trees next to the course and still have a lethal shot. At that point, I imagine a golf ball might have about the same energy.
    range.jpg
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Sponsored Links