Should there be a "Negligent Discharge" forum?

This is a discussion on Should there be a "Negligent Discharge" forum? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Over the last several days there have been several ND threads, some the result of members' actions, others in the news. I think these are ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By aogiss
  • 1 Post By aogiss

Thread: Should there be a "Negligent Discharge" forum?

VIP Member

Should there be a "Negligent Discharge" forum?

Over the last several days there have been several ND threads, some the result of members' actions, others in the news.

I think these are valuable threads that serve as reminders we are all human, and are probably just as important as the "defensive scenario" threads. Face it, we are probably more likely to experience a ND than a violent attack. Or so it seems from the threads I've seen lately.

Would it make sense to have an ND forum in which people can link news stories and discuss their own experiences?

Just a thought.

2. Remove Ads

I can not speak for anyone else. I answered an ND thread perhaps 2 days ago. But before I did so I spent a couple days wondering if I really wanted to own up to an ND thread in the first place. While I am not an LE professional but rather just a lone individual admitting to an ND is a rather humbling experience. Many here might be too embarrassed to admit it here.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Yep. I had one as well. Definitely not my proudest moment, but reading about these helps awareness, me thinks.

When I was in the Marines, every mistake was a learning opportunity and exploited as such with no shame or apologies. Yes, if you were the jackweed who made the mistake, you took some abuse, but all of that pressed it into your head that much more. I think a thread on that topic is an excellent idea. NDs give us all a bad name and it would be wise to face it up front and let people share and learn what they can. Sometimes it is one tiny thing a person says that flips a switch for someone else.

(Just do not ask me about the time a buddy of mine discharged a 20mm HE round in downtown Panama City. That was a pretty bad day. Unbelievably...and I mean *unbelievably*, nobody was hurt.)

By the way, for those of us here who carry - heck, everyone - it is a great idea to learn some first aide for things like gunshots. If it is not *your* loved one shot by accident, it is *somebody's* loved one.

80% of courage under fire is knowing what you have to do without thinking about it. The other 20% is doing it without thinking...that is when the fear tries to sneak in. The busier you are, the less time for fear there is. Sounds stupid, but it is true.

So, pick up a few first aid skills, practice in whatever way you can (mental imagery works well if nothing else), and let fear talk to the hand.
    PEF, NONAME762 and baren like this.

I think you're right aogiss. I've had 2 NDs in my life. Both were extremely embarrassing. I dare say I am only comfortable discussing the first time. But not really and not here and not right now. I just know it won't be me that is the OP of the ND thread, No way, no how.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

If I had a ND, I would, but I have been fortunate enough (read paranoid enough, often enough) to have avoided such, at least so far. I did drop a heavy barreled Remington 700 on a guy's head once. He almost punched me...and I would have let him.

IMO, it is only a matter of time until each of us has at least one. It is like driving, eventually everyone has at least one accident. It is simple probability.

Anyhow, I think the thread is a good idea and I am sure it will start eventually. If not, maybe I will start one and ask for volunteers. I can kick it off with a story about a friend who killed Gumby. It is a funny and true story, I will post it sometime.
    NONAME762 likes this.

There are three kinds of people. People who have had a negligent discharge, people who haven't had one yet, and liars.

Mine happened at the range, and fortunately I was following the rest of the rules.

Well ya know when you pull the trigger and are expecting a boom but instead get a tiny pow you know you'll be wearing the ugly plastic beaded necklace at every monthly shoot until you luck into hanging it round some other poor saps neck right??

This was not a case of ND but more a case of having forgot to pour the powder down the barrel before ramming the ball down. It happened to me once. After all was said and done I got a rather nice trophy out of the ordeal. I also had a story told about me while I was right there. I took my medicine like a man, standing up. Afterwards I accepted my plaque amidst thundering applause. I may have been red faced. It was more than 25 years ago. I never repeated this mistake again. Others have but not me.

Links