Backpacking in Yosemite

This is a discussion on Backpacking in Yosemite within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was planning a trip to Yosemite and doing some backpacking. I realize this is outside of the CCW topic (as much as I wish ...

Thread: Backpacking in Yosemite

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Question Backpacking in Yosemite

I was planning a trip to Yosemite and doing some backpacking. I realize this is outside of the CCW topic (as much as I wish I could carry there), but I wanted to find out if anyone has any experience backpacking, rock climbing, or some exploring within the park. Does anyone have any reccomendations?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, National Park. Verboten.

Check out SuperTopo.com, which has some good info on the various climbs available.

There is a permitting process, to get into the back country. Check the yosemite.org page on the Wilderness Reservation you'll need to get out and about, beyond the primary areas in the valley.

It has been a long time, since I spent much time in the valley. With so many people coming through, it's like being at Disneyland. If you're game, doing Yosemite in the late winter can be wonderful. The streams and falls start flowing, and it's drop dead beautiful at that time of year. Of course, if heading onto the rocks is your thing, that makes it very tough.

One thing to keep in mind, within 25mi of Yosemite: the bears know that humans = food. And they're aggressive about going after it. Caution is due. Black bears, but they're plenty strong and aggressive.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yeah. I've been looking at some backpacking forums and that seems to be the main concern. One guy talked about how he was assualted in the middle of nowhere by two drugged-up junkies. I said he fought the guy off with a rock. I can understand wanting to save weight while backpacking but I'd really prefer to carry up there. Oh well. When I backpack around here, I make damned sure I carry. When I went out and bought my thigh holster, I got heckled by my friend until I asked him how else he suggested I carry while hiking.

I would love to hit up those trails in late winter, but due to the fact that I'm a college student, that severely limits my ability to get away for a few weeks. I'll be up there mid-May looking for a good time.

Still wondering if anyone has some suggestions...?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Links