Gun Safe in the Basement?

This is a discussion on Gun Safe in the Basement? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a Remington 20 gun fire safe made by Liberty. I currently have it in the spare bedroom of our house. We have a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By PEF

Thread: Gun Safe in the Basement?

Gun Safe in the Basement?

I have a Remington 20 gun fire safe made by Liberty. I currently have it in the spare bedroom of our house. We have a 3 bedroom house and it is occupied by my wife, baby, and myself. So for right now the 3rd bedroom is a spare. Anyway we are going to finish a large portion of our basement to make a 23'x28' area into a family room/bonus room. I am considering about where the safe will go if we need that 3rd bedroom eventually. Plus I have always considered putting it in the basement anyway. Now the reason I am looking at this now is because I am contemplating pouring a 5-6" thick pad on the existing floor to get the safe off the floor in case it were to flood because I not only have my firearms in there but also an undisclosed amount of ammo. The other thing I am trying to keep in mind is that if I ever sold the house I am not sure how well the pad would fly to potential buyers because it will still be there even after the safe is gone.

A little background my house sits up pretty high on a sand hill and the basement has always been dry. I also have a big dehumidifier in the basement but it still never gets that damp.

Tell me what you guys think and if you have put a gun safe in the basement tell me about it.

Thanks
    I would rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Seems like you could accomplish the same thing with a stacked wood platform. You could still bolt the gun safe to the wall behind it.
    Jeanlouise and phreddy like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

That actually seems very reasonable. I have poured concrete walls also. Should hold very well.
    I would rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

I've had mine in the basement for many years. I bolted 4X4 treated wood to the floor and then bolted the safe down on the wood. I can take everything out and patch the floor if I sell the house.
    My home is sitting on a hill and the basement is dry, no water issues going on 25+ years. I also keep a golden rod in my safe for moisture protection.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wouldn't have thought twice about it when I lived in WA state, not so much in S. Fl though.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links