Gun Safe in the Basement?

This is a discussion on Gun Safe in the Basement? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have a Remington 20 gun fire safe made by Liberty. I currently have it in the spare bedroom of our house. We have a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By PEF

Thread: Gun Safe in the Basement?

I have a Remington 20 gun fire safe made by Liberty. I currently have it in the spare bedroom of our house. We have a 3 bedroom house and it is occupied by my wife, baby, and myself. So for right now the 3rd bedroom is a spare. Anyway we are going to finish a large portion of our basement to make a 23'x28' area into a family room/bonus room. I am considering about where the safe will go if we need that 3rd bedroom eventually. Plus I have always considered putting it in the basement anyway. Now the reason I am looking at this now is because I am contemplating pouring a 5-6" thick pad on the existing floor to get the safe off the floor in case it were to flood because I not only have my firearms in there but also an undisclosed amount of ammo. The other thing I am trying to keep in mind is that if I ever sold the house I am not sure how well the pad would fly to potential buyers because it will still be there even after the safe is gone.

A little background my house sits up pretty high on a sand hill and the basement has always been dry. I also have a big dehumidifier in the basement but it still never gets that damp.

Tell me what you guys think and if you have put a gun safe in the basement tell me about it.

Thanks
    I would rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

VIP Member
    Seems like you could accomplish the same thing with a stacked wood platform. You could still bolt the gun safe to the wall behind it.
    Jeanlouise and phreddy like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

That actually seems very reasonable. I have poured concrete walls also. Should hold very well.
    I would rather die on my feet then live on my knees.

I've had mine in the basement for many years. I bolted 4X4 treated wood to the floor and then bolted the safe down on the wood. I can take everything out and patch the floor if I sell the house.
    My home is sitting on a hill and the basement is dry, no water issues going on 25+ years. I also keep a golden rod in my safe for moisture protection.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I wouldn't have thought twice about it when I lived in WA state, not so much in S. Fl though.
    Retired USAF E-8. Official forum curmudgeon.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsored Links