Very off topic....antique books?

This is a discussion on Very off topic....antique books? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone have any idea what old books are worth? The wife and I were cleaning out our attic today and we came across old ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 1 Post By phreddy
  • 2 Post By Betty

Thread: Very off topic....antique books?

VIP Member

Very off topic....antique books?

Does anyone have any idea what old books are worth? The wife and I were cleaning out our attic today and we came across old books, most of them old school books.

When I say old I mean OLD. The oldest dating from 1841 and the newest from 1909. They are in quite good condition for being that old. Anyone know about this stuff?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Does anyone have any idea what old books are worth? The wife and I were cleaning out our attic today and we came across old books, most of them old school books.

When I say old I mean OLD. The oldest dating from 1841 and the newest from 1909. They are in quite good condition for being that old. Anyone know about this stuff?
    It all depends on the book, with values ranging from worthless to highly sought after. Try entering the titles on the ebay search to see what they may be going for.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    OK, thanks Mike.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

VIP Member

It would be very interesting to compare the content from then to the content of now....
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

It would depend on the type of book, for example, one of our Classics in a first edition could be valuable.

One of the former Priests at my church loved old books and got them whenever he could. He told me the story of literally getting an old leather bound book out of the trash. He said leather bound indicates expensive. Turns out the book was the minutes of The House of Burgesses from pre Revolutionary America. He sold it on Ebay for over a thousand dollars. is English and the book didn't interest him except to sell it.

Hope your old books turn out valuable.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Timmy, check ebay Antique Books & Manuscripts | eBay for prices. Search under the "sold listings" section for specific books to see what the value is. You might be able to find the same book.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Or just find a Rare Books dealer.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    I didn't think you were that much older than me. What year did you graduate?
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    And don't forget to flip through the pages. When my grandma decided to get rid of a bunch of books, we went through all of them and found she liked to stash $20 and $10 bills in them. And really old stamps.
    atctimmy and AR15VSCoyote like this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    And don't forget to flip through the pages. When my grandma decided to get rid of a bunch of books, we went through all of them and found she liked to stash $20 and $10 bills in them. And really old stamps.
    I was thinking about that just the other day. Wilco.
    Mark Twain:

Believe it or not, there's a lot of money in them. Especially first editions.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

"Betty" your right= my wife's grandma had a TON of old books (Poe/Shakespere/Stoker)

We still need to find the value, but she found a total of $1,000 burried in the pages....

Keep looking up there, you might find some .9mm. It has to be hiding somewhere!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I am quite sure if they are of value they can be found on AbeBooks.com. but if not I would contact a local book store for assistance.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Links