Internet "Browsers" -- which ones have you tried, since DARPA-net / Internet began?

Internet "Browsers" -- which ones have you tried, since DARPA-net / Internet began?

This is a discussion on Internet "Browsers" -- which ones have you tried, since DARPA-net / Internet began? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The internet's has really been flyin' since 1994, but the basic network infrastructure existed long before that. The DARPA-funded networking design and gear was in ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DMan

Thread: Internet "Browsers" -- which ones have you tried, since DARPA-net / Internet began?

The internet's has really been flyin' since 1994, but the basic network infrastructure existed long before that. The DARPA-funded networking design and gear was in place from the 1970's, in active use amongst university/research facilities and others until the WWW browser came of age in 1993.

Q: Over all that time, what "browsing" mechanisms have you used? (Name the ones you can remember.)

For example: In the early 1980's I used a connecting/directory mechanism on CDC Cyber mainframes that got me over to other universities in the network, for file/messaging exchange (can't recall its name). In 1993-ish, I began using the text-only Lynx browser. Since WWW browsers began, I've used Mosaic/Netscape, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 22nd, 2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What are you talking about.. Didn't Al Gore invent the internet?

I can't go through all the things I have used/tried.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    What are you talking about.. Didn't Al Gore invent the internet?

I can't go through all the things I have used/tried.
    Hells Bells my first used PC I bought in 2000. I wasn't online till 2005.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Started with a 300 Baud modem on my second computer a Commodore 64, I could read faster than it downloaded. Back then all we had were local dial-up bulletin boards. In the office we had just gotten MS Dos 5 but it was only for on-base use. Got out of computers for a while and when I went back to college Windows 95 was new. I’ve used IE, Netscape and Firefox.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    This may not be the exact order, but here goes:

Mosaic
    Netscape
    IE
    Firefox
    Opera
    Iron (not as shiny as Chrome) my current choice
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The internet's has really been flyin' since 1994, but the basic network infrastructure existed long before that. The DARPA-funded networking design and gear was in place from the 1970's, in active use amongst university/research facilities and others until the WWW browser came of age in 1993.

Q: Over all that time, what "browsing" mechanisms have you used? (Name the ones you can remember.)
    For example: In the early 1980's I used a connecting/directory mechanism on CDC Cyber mainframes that got me over to other universities in the network, for file/messaging exchange (can't recall its name). In 1993-ish, I began using the text-only Lynx browser. Since WWW browsers began, I've used Mosaic/Netscape, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera.

I use FireFox or Google Chrome - the latter very fast.

I hate Internet Explorer, and have tried others but the two mentioned I use now.

Netscape, IE, OmniWeb, Opera, Cyberdog, Mozilla (before Firefox), Epiphany, SeaMonkey, Safari, Firefox, Chrome.

Been using Firefox for years and will continue to do so.. I just feel nothing compares (though arguments can be had that Chrome comes close).
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The Internet began as a military command and control systems research project.
    The History of The Internet - InetDaemon's IT Tutorials

Web browser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

1992 used a version of dos not sure which one but was a member of Delphi out of Boston I was in fl an was on line playing poker with people all over the ne we were in awe it also had a trivia game. Also was lucky enough to use one of the first fax machines we had to take the message off the fax run to the copier make a copy before the heat transfer paper went blank the machine was 4 ft square

IE, Netscape and now Firefox.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Hells Bells my first used PC I bought in 2000. I wasn't online till 2005.
    I guess that was a little later in the game than I did. I got my first computer in 1984, a Kaypro16 with 16MG hard drive and 512k of memory. It ran Volkswriter - the premier word processor of the day on MS DOS. I don't remember which DOS version I started out with, but I remember going to DOS 5.x and thought it was a big deal. Then came windows (3.1), and the computer upgrades started. I just wish I had as many guns as I have had computers!

kaypro_k16_1.jpg
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I got my first computer in 1984, a Kaypro16 with 16MG hard drive and 512k of memory.
    Anyone remember the Osborne 1? Built like a tank. Should've had "Samsonite" stamped on the outside, dang it. But it was built like an airframe inside ... drop-on-concrete tough (BTDT ). CP/M. 300bps modem, to connect to campus. Was almost faster to code the program at home, run to school to submit it, and run back, versus using the modem to "send" it. Nobody to connect to other than the school, either. My, my, how far we've come.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I started with BBS's and the old modems that cradled the phone handset.

At about the same time, I set my college up with a software package called Kermit that allowed them to access a library system that was the first sprouts of the internet.

Then TCP/IP came about, and it was telnet and ftp for a while, followed by Mosaic. The problem was, there just weren't that many sights out there at the time that needed a web browser. I also remember using full-client window apps that provided a GUI interface so you didn't have to type in command line executions. Being an old Unix guy - I still prefer a command line interface when I really want to move quickly.

I quickly embraced Netscape for a long time, but was forced to use Internet Explorer since that was what most of my customers were using. I don't have the words to describe the loathing that I have for IE.

Firefox is good, but Chrome seems more stable and a little quicker. Using Chrome as I type this.

Pretty boring here.
    IE
    Firefox, still the staple on my laptop,
    Blackberry browser whatever that was,
    Now Safari on my iphone
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Links