Pickup advice

Pickup advice

This is a discussion on Pickup advice within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; No, no, not THAT kind of pick-up advice, I'm happily married! After 10 years of dependable service, my 1991 Sonoma will be retiring within half ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickup advice

VIP Member

Pickup advice

No, no, not THAT kind of pick-up advice, I'm happily married!

After 10 years of dependable service, my 1991 Sonoma will be retiring within half a year. It's starting to "go," and eventually I'll need a bigger vehicle with more passenger space for when we start a family.

My husband has the sedan, and I've always preferred a pickup and I think one of us should have a utility vehicle, anyway. I also don't drive as much as he does, so gas mileage isn't as big of a concern, but that doesn't mean I'll get a big V8 "just because." I'm getting another pickup. I want a mid-size, crew cab pickup with short bed. I can handle that size.

I'll be going to Carmax to buy a good, used vehicle, (which is what we did for my husband's car) and in six months we'll have enough car money set aside to pay off a good used pickup in full. We're not rich, but we do squirrel money away well, and we like owning the vehicle and not having the vehicle own us.

I went to the last car show and looked at most of the mid-size pickups. I'm really disappointed in the GMC Colorado, so it looks like I won't be upgrading to another GMC. I ended up really liking the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier. The Toyota seems to cost a lot more, even used, and the Nissan has a better package for less money. At this point I'm really liking the Nissan Frontier, crew cab, 4WD, leather seats.

But I want opinions on the Frontier, or even alternatives if you think there's something better. I want a good truck that's going to last.

It MUST be a mid-size pickup, so no suggestions on SUVs, full-size pickups, station wagons, etc. please.

must have:
    - crew cab
    - short bed
    - automatic
    - at least a V6

preferred:
    - 4WD
    - leather seats
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty, the Frontier is nice but if you
    purchase used any thing over 75,000
    miles on it make sure that the timing
    belt has been changed.

I had a 2000 mod. and absolutely loved it.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Take a look at Honda Ridgelines.

They're hard to find used, but if not cost prohibitive, they sound like exactly what you're looking for....

My best friend is a Honda dealer (which probably won't help you much clear back in Tennessee), but it may help me find a used a one when my current ride (Tacoma- also bought used from my buddy) decides to up and do a swan dive.

VIP Member
    Ford Explorer Sport Trac. It is a 6 with pretty decent fuel consumption. It has size and space for 5 adults inside plus a short bed. No FWD though in older models, 2007 model comes 4WD.
    Last edited by Miggy; November 6th, 2006 at 01:13 PM. Reason: correcting info
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    My son had a Mazda - V6 3.1L IIRC - and much of it was I believe Ford parts.

It was nicely equipped and served him well - but i forget any model name. It was tho medium size but this version did not have the full crew cab - a sorta halfways deal - but enough extra space to be useful - just not for passengering.

Leaving price aside, a Tacoma could well be very much what would suit you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    hmm mid sized ruled me out , ya just cant put 40 haybales on them ( no dont ask me how i know )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

At this point and time if I was buying a midsize pickup , the Nissan and then Toy would get the nod, the Dodges have had a few problems, don't like any thing from CHevy and its ilk,

THe Mazda is a sleeper IMO and the one I had back int the late 60's was a damn good one, basicly a Ford any way.

My daughter in law has the Frontier and loves it, it is the 4dr model with the short 4 foot bed. ONly down size is the in side , with both babies in the rear in the baby seats there is no room for any thing else, if your husband is any where near 6' tall or taller he is going to feel like a sardine in a can, but it is workable.

She has the 6cyl and a lead foot to match, but still pulls out between 18-22 miles a gallon, and for a 4wd it is one tuff little truck, will get to places my F150 can't due to size

Dodge Dakota. Just make sure it has had the ball joint recall taken care of.
    On second thought, if you want an AT, maybe not. Dodge Auto trannies are sort of hit or miss. However at 230,000miles my dakota was still going strong when I sold it. And at 113,000 miles my Ram is going strong too. I have just read about a lot of dodge trannies going south, though I guess no one posts "Hey my transmission still works, what do I do?"

I have an older Tacoma and my wife also drives a Toyota (Echo). One of the things I like about the Tacoma(and 4Runner) is that it's big enough inside for my tall friends and my wide friends. It is surprisingly spacious. Alas, mine is not a crew cab or 4x4 or a V6, but I love anyway.

One issue Nissans used to have was low fuel economy. I don't know if that is still a problem or not. One advantage they had was no timing belt - they had a timing chain. I also don't know if that's still the case. If so, a timing chain lasts a LONG time.

Either way, you'll get a great truck! Have fun!
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I 've owned 6 Nissans over the years both 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders.
    The 6 cylinders need timing belt changes at 60,000 miles and this is expensive and mpg not great for size for 4/4.The 4 cylinders trucks got 20 mpg without expensive timing belt change but no power.Dependable trucks !

I've seen nothing but problems with American trucks unfortunately. I'd go with Toyota or Honda.
    I have owned 3 Hondas with never anything more than basic maintenance. My dad's Ford pickup has given him fits since he got it. My father in law has had nothing but trouble with his 2 suburbans too.
    Plus, about 80% of a Honda is made in the US anyways

Hey Betty...

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    No, no, not THAT kind of pick-up advice, I'm happily married!

After 10 years of dependable service, my 1991 Sonoma will be retiring within half a year. It's starting to "go," and eventually I'll need a bigger vehicle with more passenger space for when we start a family.

My husband has the sedan, and I've always preferred a pickup and I think one of us should have a utility vehicle, anyway. I also don't drive as much as he does, so gas mileage isn't as big of a concern, but that doesn't mean I'll get a big V8 "just because." I'm getting another pickup. I want a mid-size, crew cab pickup with short bed. I can handle that size.

I'll be going to Carmax to buy a good, used vehicle, (which is what we did for my husband's car) and in six months we'll have enough car money set aside to pay off a good used pickup in full. We're not rich, but we do squirrel money away well, and we like owning the vehicle and not having the vehicle own us.

I went to the last car show and looked at most of the mid-size pickups. I'm really disappointed in the GMC Colorado, so it looks like I won't be upgrading to another GMC. I ended up really liking the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier. The Toyota seems to cost a lot more, even used, and the Nissan has a better package for less money. At this point I'm really liking the Nissan Frontier, crew cab, 4WD, leather seats.

But I want opinions on the Frontier, or even alternatives if you think there's something better. I want a good truck that's going to last.

It MUST be a mid-size pickup, so no suggestions on SUVs, full-size pickups, station wagons, etc. please.

must have:
    - crew cab
    - short bed
    - automatic
    - at least a V6

preferred:
    - 4WD
    - leather seats
    You want suggestions?...and you left out the COLOR?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    If you are willing to pay a little more for the “stress free” shopping experience at carmax, then it is the right place for you. However there are some things to consider:

I am a former employee of carmax, and during our training I was told the company did not buy from rental car companies. I proceeded to tell this to a friend who was looking to purchase a car and after some digging, guess what, the car was a former used car.

True, carmax did not buy it from a rental car company, they own/work with another company who buys from the rental car companies then sell them to carmax, this way the car comes up as a "corporate owned vehicle" in the carmax computer. It was all true and legal, it just seemed underhanded.

Furthermore, if you are armed with the proper information and do some research ahead of time, you can ALWAYS get a better deal on the same car somewhere else.

However, DEFINITELY take your current "trade in" to carmax to sell it to them BEFORE you go to another dealership. The written estimate from carmax will tell you how much you can get, and if the other dealership offers less, take your car to carmax to sell.

NOTE: You will ALWAYS get a better deal on a car when you DO NOT have a trade in (other than at carmax as their prices are set). This is why one of the first questions a dealer asks you is "do you have a trade in?" and "how much do you owe on it?” this is so they can" play with the numbers. Just take the trade out of the deal and you can get a better price, provided you are willing to "play the game".

I would be happy to offer any help or advise to you or any other members, just send me a PM. Please note: I am no longer in the car sales game, so this is not an attempt to sell you anything and I am not affiliated with any dealers so I cannot provide any “hook ups”. I would only be able to tell you some “tricks of the trade” and tactics to use that will help save money.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

My wife bought a 2004 Nissan Titan 4wd xtra cab. It is one awesome powerful truck and it rides smooth and handles almost like a car. 305HP and lower cost than Ford, Chevy, or Toyota.

Might want to look at one and test drive.

OOPs! sorry, I missed the part about no full sized trucks.
    Last edited by sgtD; November 6th, 2006 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Apology?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

DC Founder
    Betty, here's a picture of mine. It's a 2005 bought at the end of the model year last year. I went in to buy a Pathfinder but kept being drawn to this one on the showroom floor. It pretty much has everything you mentioned except for the leather seats. I would recommend that you get the leather seats. The only thing I dislike about this truck is the seat fabric. Sorta scratchy. While it has a bit of a truck ride (which I like), it has plenty of room inside. On long trips I have never had a backseat passengers complain about the ride. It's a great little truck, and was made right there in Tennessee....

Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links