A BIG Reminder...

A BIG Reminder...

This is a discussion on A BIG Reminder... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...all my life, I've fussed at wives and kids for leaving the kitchen with something on the stove...too easy to forget and burn the house ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: A BIG Reminder...

A BIG Reminder...

...all my life, I've fussed at wives and kids for leaving the kitchen with something on the stove...too easy to forget and burn the house down...my wife had one fire that way...caught it before it burned up but the pan...

...this mornin', homealone...I found some fajita meat freezer-burned and thought I'd be kind to my dogs...so I thawed it and put it on the stove with a teflon pan covered by an inch of water and the lid on...(thank God)...
    ...felt the urge so I sent off my daily report to the White House, washed my hands, and came to the computer...about 15 mins later got up to get another cuppa...stepped into the hall and saw a strange light...from the fire alarm...heard one beep as I stood under it wondering where the smoke was coming from...
    ...short version...meat wasted, pan burned...saved the lid...dogs mad at me...just washed down our white cabinets with ammonia water and used Febreze...just finished when my wife got home...mildly displeased...but I'll live...

...laugh at me...but remember...it can happen...thank God I didn't lay down for a bit...I don't hear much in the beep range...I can't smell much...I got off light!!!

VIP Member
    There is NO EXCUSE for a NFF (negligent fajita fire)!!!!

Four rules of fajita fry safety:
    The pan is always hot
    The stove is always on
    Be aware of the meat and what is beneath it
    Don't fry the meat until you are ready to eat

I'll leave the remaining sanctimonious replies to others.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I have to laugh. My wife blew up a dozen eggs about 2 months ago. Leaving them in the pan. It sounded like gun shots going off. You should have seen me flying around the house trying to figure out what had happened.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Hard to get the egg stench out of the kitchen
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member
    Ya, gotta be careful. Glad everything worked out as well as it did.

Reminds me of when my sister was boiling some baby bottle nipples and left the house. Came back two hours later, pan with rubber nipples was burning and just starting to melt the microwave above. Luckly her husband got there just in time to throw out the pan, but the microwave was wasted. And MY GOODNESS the smoke damage WAS UNBELIEVABLE!! The whole kitchen ceiling was almost black, the cabinets wore covered and the smell was horrible for days. Took awhile to clean up, I remember that.

I've caught my better half leaving an eye on every once in awhile, or the stove. I always try to stress how dangerous it is.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Been there done that.At least you caught it,before it got really bad.

Reminds me of the time Mrs Pockets burned up three metal teapots in three days. Yep! Filled them with water, put them on the stove and then went to work on her blogs. So, I went out and got her an electric teapot that turns itself off if it heats dry. Guess what! When they are defective, they never turn off; at least not until the heating element gets so hot it melts the power cord coming from the wall.

Y'all be careful out there!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

...were they boiling??? I haven't done that one...YET...
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I have to laugh. My wife blew up a dozen eggs about 2 months ago. Leaving them in the pan. It sounded like gun shots going off. You should have seen me flying around the house trying to figure out what had happened.

...I used to drink instant coffee till I burned the third copper bottomed teapot...didn't hear it whistle...out of my range...I don't hear watch alarms, oven & microwave alarms...some doorbells, or my coffeepot that beeps when it's done and at two hours when it automatically shuts off(I like that feature)
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Reminds me of the time Mrs Pockets burned up three metal teapots in three days. Yep! Filled them with water, put them on the stove and then went to work on her blogs. So, I went out and got her an electric teapot that turns itself off if it heats dry. Guess what! When they are defective, they never turn off; at least not until the heating element gets so hot it melts the power cord coming from the wall.

Y'all be careful out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    short version...meat wasted, pan burned...saved the lid...dogs mad at me...just washed down our white cabinets with ammonia water and used Febreze...just finished when my wife got home...mildly displeased...but I'll live...
    But, was it the dogs tappin' their nails on the floor with the sour look, or the stink of ammonia in the air ... or a combination? Couldn't have been your much-relieved expression at having cleaned up the evidence.

Gotta love a happy ending, though. Good reminder about "watched pots" ... or, unwatched ones, at least. It is, indeed, a two-edged blade, those pots.
    Snub44 and msgt/ret like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

saa
    The things we do for a dog, anymore! I remember, when I was little, our dog was a dog. Don't get me wrong, we loved them and they were treated well - but still, they were dogs.

I thought when the last kid left... well, you know where this is headed. Still have a dog, only today it's like another kid! :)
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

...well, I THOUGHT the meat looked kinda freezer burned maybe...couldn't see clearly because my eyes were full of compassion for my two starving pups...
    Quote Originally Posted by saa View Post
    The things we do for a dog, anymore! I remember, when I was little, our dog was a dog. Don't get me wrong, we loved them and they were treated well - but still, they were dogs.

I thought when the last kid left... well, you know where this is headed. Still have a dog, only today it's like another kid! :)
    saa.
    blitzburgh likes this.

It happened in Memphis. Frayser stove fire displaces 17
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

...well, I THOUGHT the meat looked kinda freezer burned maybe...couldn't see clearly because my eyes were full of compassion for my two starving pups...
    Was that compassion or ammonia/smoke-burn in your eyes, eh?

Trust me: they got it. Your compassion, that is. I hope you gave 'em extended belly-rubs to make up for the sacrilege. You did, didn't you? Snub??
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

...were they boiling??? I haven't done that one...YET...
    Yep, done that one. Put half a dozen eggs on to hard boil them. Went into my office, got engrossed in what I working on and forgot about them. Next thing you know...pop, pop, pop. Ran into the kitchen and found exploded eggs all over the range and hood. I'd left them on so long, the water had completely boiled off and the eggs just blew up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links