Taxes...

This is a discussion on Taxes... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We just got our taxes done yesterday, and we have to pay in for the first time ever. Not just by a little but a ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Str8upguy
  • 1 Post By oldnfat
  • 2 Post By sixgun
  • 2 Post By KyBill

Thread: Taxes...

Taxes...

We just got our taxes done yesterday, and we have to pay in for the first time ever. Not just by a little but a substantial amount.

As you can imagine, I am not all that thrilled about it.

Did you get money back or did you have to pay more in? Are you happy with the way the federal government is spending your money?

And most importantly, how much do you think that you pay in taxes? Not just income, but total... Gas taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, and all the other stuff too?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What changed this year from past years which left you owing?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For several years I paid in. That W-4 form will stick it to you. File married at single rate and have extra taken out. I get it back every year since. And maximize 401s and IRAs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    I would rather have to pay at the end of the year, than get anything back. Why? Well, I figure the governement gets enough money from me, so I'd rather get a free loan from them during the year, than give them free use of my money during the year. While we have to pay at the end of the year, it's only a few hundred dollars. good luck

I don't think of it as loaning them money, but me loaning them money before my taxes are due. I'd rather collect those parts of my paycheque as interest than have them return my money months and months after I lent it to them at 0%
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What changed this year from past years which left you owing?
    Self employment tax... I did not calculate that in with the rest of the stuff. I am have been a self employeed planning/development consultant for the past year and a half.

On the other hand, about 50% of what I make goes to the government, and I don't think they spend my money very well...

Distinguished Member
    I am just guessing that we pay about 40-50 % of our total income in taxes. Could be more, because there are so many taxes we don't really notice. Texas has no state income tax. But we do have property tax and school tax and sales tax and car registration( still a tax). Hospital tax, water development tax, hotel room tax, airline ticket tax, airport use tax, drivers license(yep, this is a tax also). Fed income tax, medicare tax, social security( this money goes into the general fund), tax on gasoline and diesel(fed and state). City sales tax, tax on phone bills and cell phone bills and internet service. And I'm sure there are lots more. So we work for the gov'ts half the year. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world. So I guess things are not too bad. Yet.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    All levels of government get their dues in one form or another.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I was shocked this year to find I loose a 1000 dollar tax credit because my daughter turned 17, why does the goverment think that at 17 it suddenly get cheaper to raise kids?

I generally get the same back every year within a few dollars. So I dont complain much. As far as taxes go I think we pay to much. Sales and gas and stuff like that ya I guess its ok. But property tax. B.S. I bought it I own it. Why should I keep paying on something I own already. Thats a bunch of crap in my book.
    packinnova and NONAME762 like this.

Pay probably 50% or more but that's all taxes ( now called fees) not just direct income taxes. Which is why I feel no sympathy for those who sit on their ass and take my money to pay their rent, food, cell phones, etc
    packinnova and MJClark like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    I generally get the same back every year within a few dollars. So I don't complain much. As far as taxes go I think we pay to much. Sales and gas and stuff like that ya I guess its OK. But property tax. B.S. I bought it I own it. Why should I keep paying on something I own already. That's a bunch of crap in my book.
    I've been paying school taxes for over 26 years. I don't even HAVE ANY KIDS. My land taxes are about due. Since my ears are beginning to smoke I'll leave you with this...
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I've been paying school taxes for over 26 years. I don't even HAVE ANY KIDS.
    Do you ever interact with highschool graduates? Do they take your tickets at the theatre or ring up your order in restaurants? Or do you get zero utility out of having educated kids in your society?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member
    Been a self employed/sub contractor for 12 years now - I'm real used to paying in every year. Not only that, I'm single (till september), male and have no dependents - they love to see me coming. And last year I made just enough to step into another tax bracket and pay an additional 5%, yay .

But yes, I'm very used to it, but I have tried to oversave on my tax withholding every year so that I too get a little extra money after doing my taxes, although it rarely works out that way.

And yes, without a doubt I have lots of problems with the way the guberment spends our tax money.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Links