Why would anyone want panic buying?

This is a discussion on Why would anyone want panic buying? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lets take a look at stock prices. Olin Corp the parent company of Winchester was at $18.51 per share on 05/18/12. ATK was $51.74 on ...

Thread: Why would anyone want panic buying?

Why would anyone want panic buying?

Lets take a look at stock prices.
    Olin Corp the parent company of Winchester was at $18.51 per share on 05/18/12.
    ATK was $51.74 on 05/18/12. Back on July 24 2012 it was as low as $44.00

In August and September Alex Jones gives vastly inflated numbers of rounds purchased by the government

Today Olin is at $24.93
    ATK is at $70.23

If you had purchased these stocks last year you would have made a pretty nice return on your investment, wouldn't you?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Lets take a look at stock prices.
    Olin Corp the parent company of Winchester was at $18.51 per share on 05/18/12.
    ATK was $51.74 on 05/18/12. Back on July 24 2012 it was as low as $44.00

In August and September Alex Jones gives vastly inflated numbers of rounds purchased by the government

Today Olin is at $24.93
    ATK is at $70.23

If you had purchased these stocks last year you would have made a pretty nice return on your investment, wouldn't you?
    True, but in terms of the ammo and/or guns: panic-buying is caused by panicked people, that's the usual stock buying in a cresting bull-market. The panic is there won't be anything left for you. That you happened to make $$$ is great. Most don't though. And we've yet to see how those who bought ammo or guns at doubled prices will really do when eventually supplies are back to usual. I think they'll kick themselves - they're not buying ammo stocks, but the ammo and guns themselves. Savy non-shooters bought the stocks. But again, stock prices will not stay this high when buying returns to normal. If the stock-buyers are really savy, they will sell now and take assured profits.

I think hes getting at and I may be wrong, that folks that legal or not in government might push an agenda with the knowledge panic buying inflated stock prices will occur and buy those stocks by hook or crook or get kick backs which is of course the way most politicians get rich in officer after all.

Thats just my take of the OP post however.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I am curious about the stock holdings of some of the media/ blogger types that are promoting the hype that is contributing to the panic.
    If I had say $10k that I had invested a couple of months before the '08 panic and then took profits in '09, and then repeated the process this year, how much could I have made? Just in those guys and maybe Sturm Ruger.

Maybe the conspiracy (if there is one) is not the government. Maybe it is investors doing a pump and dump with the stocks.
    How many other investments are giving returns like that in less than twelve months?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Well, OTOH, when the panic starts to subside, you could short those same stocks. Gotta have guts to short, though.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Yup, the financiers and executives like it if you're temporarily scared. They don't like too much fear, though, because the price of ammo will deter new people from starting up
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Links