Help me choose my next vehicle

This is a discussion on Help me choose my next vehicle within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am looking to purchase a new (not used) vehicle. My current vehicle is a sedan and my last two vehicles were sedans. The reason ...

View Poll Results: Which vehicle to buy?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ford F150 4x4

30 41.10%
  • Ford F150 4x2

3 4.11%
  • Jeep JKU Wrangler

8 10.96%
  • Ram 1500

3 4.11%
  • Subaru XV Crosstek

7 9.59%
  • Hyundai Sonata/Kia Optima

4 5.48%
  • Other: please specifiy

18 24.66%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Help me choose my next vehicle

I am looking to purchase a new (not used) vehicle. My current vehicle is a sedan and my last two vehicles were sedans. The reason being is the sedans generally cost less and usually get better gas mileage than SUV/Trucks. While I liked my last 3 vehicles, I never really loved them. They got the job done but were nothing exciting. What excites me are SUVs, trucks, or fast cars. Now that I have a little one and a wife, I cannot buy vehicles that will not accomodate them comfortably. So no coupes or 2 door trucks. What makes it difficult also is the price of gasoline is very high and could go higher in the future.

Here are the current choices in list of preference:
    1) Ford F150 Supercrew 4X4. Don't need 4wd but the 1-2 times a year that I need it, I will wish I had it. 12k off MSRP I can get.
    2) Ford F150 Supercrew 4X2. About 3k cheaper with 2wd but I feel that having a truck without 4wd is like having a sports car with an automatic transmission.
    3) Jeep Wrangler JKU. Its 4wd, I always wanted one, convertible. Questionable realibility imo and are overpriced without great incentives. 2-3k off MSRP
    4) Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab : 4x4 or 4x2. Not as nice looking or as reliable as F150 imo. Cheaper than F150 of about 1-2k.
    5) Subaru XV Crosstek: Kind of boring (slow, hatchback, etc). It does get good MPG and has AWD.
    6) Hyundai Sonata/ Kia Optima: Good MPG, low price, good looks, cool technologies included, 4 doors. Not fast, boring, and already had 3 sedans in a row.
    7) Other: Please specify

BTW, I am looking at 28k MAX

Check out the Honda CRV and the Ford Escape. Pretty nice rides. I'm buying one for the other soon. Good luck.

Silverado 2500 with 6.6 duramax. Built like a tank.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I have had two Hyundais so far and would buy another if I were in the market for a vehicle. You can get a turbo version if you are looking for performance.

2013 Hyundai Sonata Performance | U.S. News Best Cars
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Audi S4? (or A4 if mileage is still really important). Both fun to drive, but the S4 is WAY more exciting.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Just like with a gun, try before you buy...

F150 4X4 Is the winner of the bunch you have listed.
    darbo likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I had a Jeep JK 4dr. I leased in 2007. Sahara, automatic trans. If I drove 65 or less on the freeway I could get 23-24 mpg on a regular basis. 18 around town. In 2012 the new motor is supposed to get better mileage and have 65(?) more horsepower and torque. Next time I get one, and I will, I will do a purchase instead of a lease.

I am with HB. They are probably the worst in an accident, however for the money it is worth it. I have done a bunch of research on it vs the dodge. The 150 has a lot more to offer. I drive a lot and the ecoboost option is enticing. V6 with the potential V8 power. I love the dodge and if $ was not an option would probably buy one of each. Go with the Ford from your list.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob3663 View Post
    Didn't see Chevy on the list so I didn't vote
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't want to sound like I don't like or appreciate your suggestions but I just want to list why I don't like them or wouldn't buy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob3663 View Post
    I had a GMC Jimmy years ago that I really loved but imo, the Chevy trucks are not as good looking as Ford/Dodge, and just seem to be not up to at least the Fords. I do know plenty of people that love Chevy trucks through.

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    I have had two Hyundais so far and would buy another if I were in the market for a vehicle. You can get a turbo version if you are looking for performance.

2013 Hyundai Sonata Performance | U.S. News Best Cars
    Not what I consider fast but it is an improvement over the other Sonatas.

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    Audi S4? (or A4 if mileage is still really important). Both fun to drive, but the S4 is WAY more exciting.
    AWD, fast, great looks, BUT too expensive to buy and own.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Just like with a gun, try before you buy...

F150 4X4 Is the winner of the bunch you have listed.
    So far I teste the Jeep and F150s. I looked at the Sonatas but didn't have time to drive. I am with you on this. I will not buy until I tested every vehicle that I want.

No Chevy or GMC. no vote.

GMC Sierra Crew... 1500 2WD.

4X4 is great... but, If you can't get there with 2X4 do you really need to go..? I chose not to get 4wd for that reason. And, though my wife has AWD Hyundai SantaFe which we both like a lot... the truck is my daily driver to work etc... I get about 20 MPG but I try to get that... and I drive mostly hiway with some town driving... 50/50 (by time spent), 70% hiway 30% in town (by mileage).

The reason I chose the GM product was that we have dogs, that ride with us... I did not like the way the rear seats folded in the Ford Product at the time (2005). The rear seats in the Ford, folded, do not give as much flat room for the dogs, as the GM product does.

The Dodge looks great... but the gas mileage was not nearly as good according to many folks who have them. They claim that has changed, but I ???

The Ford... another thing I don't like about them is reaching into the bed from the side... the side walls are higher and wider or seem to be... And I'm 6'+ tall.

Those are my reasons... YMMV

One other note... 4X4 is great.. again... but I've seen many 4WD vehicles in the ditches as I drive by in my 2WD... I've been in ditches, too, with it... but the fact is it didn't stop any worse than a 4X4 would have... and I make up for the towing bill by saving a bit on gas...

V8... not a 6... not in a full sized truck... you'll get as good a gas mileage or better with enough engine than you will with not enough... I don't care what Ford says about Eco Boost or whatever it is.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    When our second baby came around, our 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road that we had for five years (my pick, down to the last accessory), went from love to hate. It was a pain reaching up into a high 4x4 to get a baby in and out, plus a 3 year-old, plus two dogs. Keeping it fed was also a pain, because on long family trips, it loved to suck gas.

So we sold it and got a 2012 Toyota Sienna SE minivan. I was a huge minivan hater until I got it, and I absolutely love it. Baby barfs in the back seat? I can pull over and get in the back seat without opening a door. The two dogs sit on the floorboards comfortably. Plenty of room for cargo, and when you're on a family trip, you need that space. It's friendly maneuvering in parking lots for the size it is, and I'm not so high off the road I can't see where I'm going in tight places.

So you might not choose a minivan, and I completely understand. How about a Hyundai Santa Fe? Friendly for most drivers (big 4x4 trucks are not for everybody), in your price range, lots of space.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    When our second baby came around, our 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road that we had for five years (my pick, down to the last accessory), went from love to hate. It was a pain reaching up into a high 4x4 to get a baby in and out, plus a 3 year-old, plus two dogs. Keeping it fed was also a pain, because on long family trips, it loved to suck gas.

So we sold it and got a 2012 Toyota Sienna SE minivan. I was a huge minivan hater until I got it, and I absolutely love it. Baby barfs in the back seat? I can pull over and get in the back seat without opening a door. The two dogs sit on the floorboards comfortably. Plenty of room for cargo, and when you're on a family trip, you need that space. It's friendly maneuvering in parking lots for the size it is, and I'm not so high off the road I can't see where I'm going in tight places.

So you might not choose a minivan, and I completely understand. How about a Hyundai Santa Fe? Friendly for most drivers (big 4x4 trucks are not for everybody), in your price range, lots of space.
    Our 2006 Sienna has more cargo space than my 2006 Expedition and gets much better gas mileage. My wife was a minivan hater too until I got her to sit in it and drive it. It is great for hauling stuff or people.

I love my 2000 F150. I test drove an F150, F250, and a Dodge 1500 a few weeks ago. All had the extended cabs and were great trucks. The Fords just seemed a little better put together and seemed like it had more thought in it than the Dodge. That turbocharged diesel was also something else, but you're looking at a gasser, and the F150's 8cyl was good. The salesman kept throwing all sorts of numbers at me about the Ecoboost engine, but truck, eco, and 6cyl just don't go together in my mind. Also, the F150 had electric power steering, and that just didn't feel right. I like feedback from my controls.

The F250 is at the top of my list, followed by the F150 and 1500.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links