Total Colapse of Society: How will Ammo be produced???

This is a discussion on Total Colapse of Society: How will Ammo be produced??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thinking of how different LONG TERM SHTF situations could play out has brought a question to my mind. In the even of the total colapse ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Total Colapse of Society: How will Ammo be produced???

Total Colapse of Society: How will Ammo be produced???

Thinking of how different LONG TERM SHTF situations could play out has brought a question to my mind. In the even of the total colapse of society with the electrical grid and all forms or mechanical and automated production stoped how would ammo be produced? I know many people think they have more reloading supplys than they could use in a life time but is a true SHTF senario the demand for ammo would be endless. For one I think .22LR would be "off the self" if you dont have it you wont get it.

In a LONG TERM SHTF situation we would be living like it was 1813 not 2013. Would we have to go back to muzzel loaders and black powder. How to get the black powder? Will it be like the OK corral? How did they make the brass caseings and presses for ammo in the days of the "wild west"? Maybee I should look into that cross bow I was thinking of. I wonder if anybody is hoarding arrows yet?

2. Remove Ads

Weapons tech would gradually have to go back to what it was pre modern production era. Back to muzzle loaders and lead ball, swords and arrows. Black powder was readily available before electricity or modern production so I would guess it still would be now if it were nessacary.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Most likely done by private citizens and sold by word of mouth. Or black market sales at astronomical prices.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have no idea how ammo will be produced. I plan on stripping what I can from the dead.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i would plan on raiding police buildings. and if necessary ambushing small military convoys

Total collapse of society... There ain't gonna be no interwebby... I'm going to the library... I will secure all the books on firearms, loading, reloading, the making of gunpowder, the history of same... the manufacture of same... etc. As well as boilerwork and steam engines etc. planting, gardening, preserving, alternate fuels and foods.

When everybody's out of bullets.... and after they've run all the generators, to watch the videos they stole from the video store... and after they've stolen all the grocery stores dry.. And killed all the cattle for a bite of meat...

I'll have the information required to restart society... And, if you think His royal heinie Obumer's bad... just wait until you live under King Charles the First ...

Neener neener boo boo...
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm pretty good with a slinghot.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I'll have the information required to restart society... And, if you think His royal heinie Obumer's bad... just wait until you live under King Charles the First ...
    Neener neener boo boo...
    All Hail King Charles I
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    My brother was very busy casting his own bullets this past weekend. Between family and friends, we've got enough tools and materials to make "stuff" from scratch.

And I've always wanted to learn how to use a bow.

casting.jpg
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    My brother was very busy casting his own bullets this past weekend. Between family and friends, we've got enough tools and materials to make "stuff" from scratch.

And I've always wanted to learn how to use a bow.

casting.jpg
    Reloading is a great thing for sure but most are still dependent upon the system. Where are the primers, powder, and brass going to come from? Again, does anybody know how ammo was made in the days of the wild west?

Right after Newtown I odered 10,000 9MM FMJ and 30,000 primers. Im having my FFL/ranger owner/Comercial reloader crank me out 10,000 9mm the week. I'm greatfull to be able to add that to my other 7,000 but in a long term situation thats not much.

I wish there was a mass produced air gun like what Lewis and Clark used. The stock held 700 psi and the gun held around 40 projectiles that could be loaded in nearly a semi automatic sytle. No sound or smoke from the gun and all you would have to worry about is casting the lead balls. Much eaisier that finding primers,powder,and brass caseings.

VIP Member
    When I meant we can make stuff, I didn't specify what kind of stuff. (Anybody need a cannon?)
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Total collapse of society... There ain't gonna be no interwebby... I'm going to the library... I will secure all the books on firearms, loading, reloading, the making of gunpowder, the history of same... the manufacture of same... etc. As well as boilerwork and steam engines etc. planting, gardening, preserving, alternate fuels and foods.

When everybody's out of bullets.... and after they've run all the generators, to watch the videos they stole from the video store... and after they've stolen all the grocery stores dry.. And killed all the cattle for a bite of meat...

Neener neener boo boo...
    Save me a job! You know like FBI (NOT federal bureau of Investigation)
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    When I meant we can make stuff, I didn't specify what kind of stuff. (Anybody need a cannon?)
    How much for shipping on the cannon???

I was looking at buying a springfield EMP but the more I think about it im going to put those funds in to high powered air gun and cross bow. Surely the hoarding hasent spread to pellets and arrrows.

One word: Fletching.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    One word: Fletching.

Can't! I already own all the birds... and all the synthetic fletching as well... And, what I don't own, DHS has a huge order in for...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links