Road Trip without any destination or timeline: are you guilty?

This is a discussion on Road Trip without any destination or timeline: are you guilty? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ever taken a trip where you specifically refused to set a destination, points along the way, or any real timeline? (Beyond, say, a cutoff date ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By DJC7
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Road Trip without any destination or timeline: are you guilty?

Question Road Trip without any destination or timeline: are you guilty?

Ever taken a trip where you specifically refused to set a destination, points along the way, or any real timeline? (Beyond, say, a cutoff date for when you had to return.)

For many years, I went "roadster," top-down, determined to enjoy a sweet little slice of this country. Had sold the motorcycle years before, so a bit of convertible living was called for. I particularly sought out the road less traveled, seeking to get "away from the things of man." A few clothes, camping gear, good shoes, a camera and some cash, and off I went. Occasionally it was with others, either as passenger or "tandem" in their own roadsters; usually, it was solo. Some called it my "mid-life crisis," whereas I looked on it as a simple spiritual reconnect with a simpler life.

Actually, I did this as much as I could, often a couple times each month, heading "down that road and seeing where it takes me." Used the Pashnit.com web site and the Thomas Brothers maps, to seek out some of the smaller, out-of-the-way routes that were worth finding. Had some fantastic adventures, and absolutely had a completely stress-free and relaxed reconnection with the landscape that the daily hubbub couldn't match.

What's your story? Let 'er rip.

* And for the question of the be-armed-always aspect, let's ignore that element for this thread. This one's about getting out of the rut and heading off to "blue skies" without much of a plan.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 28th, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not since gas passed $3/gal and the grandkids came along. Now all my road trips are pretty much limited to 90 miles north of here. But heartell, the wife has plans for Sept/Oct.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've never had a chance to do this, but it sounds amazing. I keep telling my wife that when we retire I want to buy a mobile home and just travel around the country. She isn't too keen on the idea yet, but I have a good 30 years to talk her into it. lol
    niks likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    Always wanted to...have always loved the idea, but have never made time for it. It's on the bucket list for sure!
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Sort of once. 2001, my wife and I had a trip to Las Vegas planned with a big group. We had just sold a small business, so there were no immediate future commitments.
    We decided not to return with the group, and rented a car and drove to Los Angeles to say hi to friends and then drove up the coast on Highway 1 to San Fran. and then back to Vegas to fly home.
    It was 10 days that we will always remember. No reservations and no plans. It was just drive and stop wherever we felt like. Would love to do it again on the motorcycle. We'll see.

I've kind of do this. When going on a trip for x amount of days/weeks, I don't just drive from point A to point B. I always allow myself an extra few days just to stop somewhere else I've never been along the way. Either on the way there, on the way back, or both.

Next chance I have, I'll just be gassing up the ride with no destination in mind, only time restraints, and pick random places off a map.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

We just retired, as of now i metal detect once or twice a week go to the range couple times a week an am totally into astonomy get outevery night unless cloudy. Wifey is into grandkids an shopping

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    We decided not to return with the group, and rented a car and drove to Los Angeles to say hi to friends and then drove up the coast on Highway 1 to San Fran. and then back to Vegas to fly home. It was 10 days that we will always remember. No reservations and no plans.
    Sounds wonderful. BTDT.

You did half of the Hwy 1/101 route, but there's plenty of road north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Some would say many of the best roads are up there, north of the bridge.

California's so "tall" that there are literally hundreds of interesting little sections of road, smaller roads, and byways worth exploring along the coastal ranges and the coast itself. Same can be said about the Sierra Nevada foothills/passes. If you ever find a few weeks on your hand to just toss caution to the wind, it can be a wonderful way to get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Not since gas passed $3/gal and the grandkids came along. Now all my road trips are pretty much limited to 90 miles north of here. But heartell, the wife has plans for Sept/Oct.
    Yeah, $1.30/gal did make things much simpler.

One neat way to do it, though, is to fly to some city that's near where you want to explore, rent a decently fun car for a week, then fly back.

Such as, flying into Salt Lake City, picking up a sporty convertible, then driving down amongst the landscape around Grand Staircase Escalante, Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon. Particularly if you do it off-season, it can be one of the most tourist-free experiences on the roads you're likely to find.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 28th, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I haven't done any trips quite as carefree as you describe, but fairly close. A little over a year ago, while I was still in school, my wife and I decided to go on an 11 day road trip over Christmas to explore some of the west and see where we wanted to move. We had 11 days, a car that thankfully gets 50 mpg, and a desire to see Montana, Idaho, and Utah. So this is what we did:

We went where we could, realizing that weather could stop us entirely - if it was bad we figured we'd just head south and see the Grand Canyon or something. We couldn't head too far off the main road, because of all the places we wanted to see. If I recall correctly we did almost 6000 miles in 10 days of driving.

Here is a nice picture taken in Montana:

More Montana:

And a pretty nice view from Pocatello, ID:

One of these days im gonna do it. But for the mean time my longest trip will be back to vegas next year. Love vegas Baby.

Ford those are some great pics. Looks like some country id like to see sometime.

VIP Member
    Back in 1980 when I was stationed at Travis I took 35 days of leave and pointed my Kawasaki 650 due east. I started out by going to Old Sacramento to the Pony Express Rider statue then heading to US 50 since it parallels the Pony Express trail. I had no schedule to maintain and my destination was New Port News, Va to visit my stepmother and I had told her I would be there when I got there. Any time I saw something interesting I would stop or make a short side trip. I did not plan on riding a certain distance each day but just stopped whenever I felt like it.

I stayed s few days at home and decided to head back and not wanting to take the same route back I decided to head over to the Blue Ridge Parkway (fantastic ride) took it south for a ways then got on US 301 and headed to Florida to visit my sister. After that I was a little pushed for time so I headed up to I-10 and back to Travis all in all about 8500 miles in 35 days. Saw a lot of fantastic sights and places and met a lot of fine folks along the way.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links