Unmitigated disaster....

Unmitigated disaster....

This is a discussion on Unmitigated disaster.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Unmitigated disaster.....my kitchen remodel. Yesterday I realized it is time stop work on my kitchen. It's not finished and my contractor is so slow that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Unmitigated disaster....

VIP Member

Unmitigated disaster....

Unmitigated disaster.....my kitchen remodel.

Yesterday I realized it is time stop work on my kitchen. It's not finished and my contractor is so slow that I'm hemorrhaging money. My wife and I decided that it's at least far enough along that I can make it usable and we could finish it as money/help comes in.

So we decided that the last thing we will pay to do is have the floors professionally refinished. The floors are something that needs done right and we think it is worth the money.

Our idea is that with the walls finished and the cabinets (along the wall) in the kitchen will be fairly usable. This way we can just wait until we have some more cash or until I can get some free help to put in the island and finish all the trim.

With the floors done and some paint it will look OK and function, it just won't have the island and most of the wow factor we had planned on.

Now if the obscene amount of money already spent to not have a finished product wasn't enough, I just found out that my jackwagon of a contractor built the wall next to the fridge incorrectly and the fridge door can't be opened. That wall needs ripped out and moved back the width of one stud.

Now we are back to square one with demo/drywall/dust and debris. Not to mention the floors are in so I'm going to have to mickey mouse some sort of patch to HOPEFULLY make it look right.

Atctimmy needs a cold beer, a friend and quite probably a miracle. I'm about ready to crack. I've spent so much money on this and to have it not work out is making me sick...literally.

I don't know what to do.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Oh no! I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I've heard so many horror stories like yours when it comes to kitchen remodeling. Why can't the contractor come back and fix his mistake with the wall? Or, are you to the point that you don't want to see his face again?

Once you get your floors refinished and the walls painted, I bet you'll be surprised how much better everything looks. Hopefully it won't be long before the island can get put in. It's so hard to live without a useable kitchen, especially if you have little kids (like I know you do.)

Some day you'll look back at this and laugh but right now you probably just feel homicidal.
    atctimmy and msgt/ret like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Or, are you to the point that you don't want to see his face again?
    Yes.

right now you probably just feel homicidal.
    and yes.
    91wm6 and msgt/ret like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Have you considered a built in alcove in the new wall? Not ideal but it might give enough clearance...

Timmy, we literally just had our kitchen remodel completed last week. 8 weeks of pain... and our project went perfectly smooth. Even the best kitchen remodels aren't easy to live through. Hate to hear that yours missed the mark.

I see you're a Duke fan, but I don't see where you reside. If you happen to live in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC, PM me and I'll give you the name of my contractor. He's stepped in to save the day with others like yourself and I'd be happy to recommend him and hopefully he could help you get back on track again.

Iggy
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sounds exactly like all the horor stories I've heard about remodeling and the reason I haven't. I've always been told to figure out how long it will take and how much it will cost and double both.

Hang in there, buddy. One day it will be over.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good luck with the repairs. I think I would be livid right now if I were you!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Timmy, we literally just had our kitchen remodel completed last week. 8 weeks of pain... and our project went perfectly smooth. Even the best kitchen remodels aren't easy to live through. Hate to hear that yours missed the mark.

I see you're a Duke fan, but I don't see where you reside. If you happen to live in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC, PM me and I'll give you the name of my contractor. He's stepped in to save the day with others like yourself and I'd be happy to recommend him and hopefully he could help you get back on track again.

Iggy
    Thanks Iggy, but I'm in NE Ohio. I'm a Duke fan and have been since I was a little boy.

As a small boy my dad rooted for Indiana/Bobby Knight. Since Coach K was a protégé Duke was often on TV as well. As a wee lad I liked the color of their uniforms, royal blue, and that is how they came to be my favorite team. Since about age eight I have been a fan. It's been quite cool watching them all these years. I think I started watching them around 84/85 and have cheered them ever since. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Good luck with the repairs. I think I would be livid right now if I were you!
    I am pretty upset but as a christian I need to get over it and move on. I'm trying to get a sit down/lunch today with my contractor and really work things out.

He is a good man and a friend, it's just not his best work and we need to reach an agreement.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Hopefully once the contractor sees he did it wrong he will fix it free of charge. As far as doing the floor now I have been told the floor is the lat thing to do. It would be a shame to refinish the floor only to do some damage to it putting the island in and have to redo a section of it.

Good luck. I am fortunate to have a brother that does what I am unable(or too lazy) to do and does it reasonable. It is not always easy to get him there but when I am able to get him there he does great work.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I am pretty upset but as a christian I need to get over it and move on. I'm trying to get a sit down/lunch today with my contractor and really work things out.

He is a good man and a friend, it's just not his best work and we need to reach an agreement.
    Good plan, Tim. Remember, these are all just things. One day it will all be a pile of dust and a distant memory for you. The only thing that will matter is how you conducted yourself.

My first kitchen remodel ended up much the same (my guy went to jail or something), and my wife and I finished it ourselves and over-taxed a good friend who also helped us. That was about 16 years ago, and I barely remember it (although it seemed terrible at the time).

Hang in there and fight the good fight.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Mistake #1. He is a contractor you hired to do a job. This is a business relationship. He holds himself out as a professional.
    Do you have a contract, a bid, did you pay him off, or pay him up front. It is probably better to only do business with people you either don't know at all or don't trust. Then, you have a detailed contract and build in some safeguards, such as paying as work is done, a final amount to pay when the work is completed satisfactorily, and a scheduled completion date. Watch "Holmes on Homes" on TV, if you have access. "Hopefully" is not a good bargaining position. Sometimes it needs court action, or a different contractor.

That sucks. Hope things work out for you. I am glad that I inherited a 40 year old house that was in need of a complete makeover in NH when I retired. I did not know anything about construction, carpentry, cabinet making, plumbing, et al. Fortunatley, 90 percent of the folks and neighbors in NH are carpetners, contractors, plumbers....I got to know them and they showed me how to do things the right way. Now I do everything myself and make some money on the sides..
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Timmy- sorry it's not working out for you the way you have planned. Hopefully in your sitdown meeting with the contractor, you guys can get this nailed down and have him come out and fix what he is messed up for free.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I am writing from prison tonight because, sadly, we met today for lunch and I stabbed him to death with a dull spoon. Why a dull spoon you ask? Because I thought it would hurt more that way.

OK in all seriousness, I cut out the part of the wall today that was wrong. The floor finishing guy told me that he would fix the floor for free before staining/final finishing Monday morning. He is a pretty nice guy (even though we just met). He is also a Christian and sees what's going on. He has really gone out of his way to help.

I'm meeting with my guy on Tuesday morning and I'm laying out my terms for finishing the job. He can take it or leave it.
    Jeanlouise, WHEC724 and JoJoGunn like this.

I was going nuts putting brake lines on my pickup. I could imagine What your goin through. Keep your head up bro youll get through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links