Tinnitus and Shooting Protection

This is a discussion on Tinnitus and Shooting Protection within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well after a recent negligent discharge it appears I have some tinnitus that may be permanent. We'll see. Good news is nobody was injured, the ...

Thread: Tinnitus and Shooting Protection

VIP Member

Tinnitus and Shooting Protection

Well after a recent negligent discharge it appears I have some tinnitus that may be permanent. We'll see. Good news is nobody was injured, the tinnitus is not that bad, and my hearing is actually all within norm, except for a slight drop above 8Khz. I'm already starting my baby steps to tinnitus habituation just in case its permanent. The tinnitus, if permanent, will also be a constant reminder of the four rules...

Question for other shooters with tinnitus: I go to an indoor range, and thus the sound does not attenuate as readily as an outdoor range. I used to use only foam earplugs, but after the T I've decided to double up - use both foam plugs and the ear protectors the range offers. Also, if any shooters come in with excessively loud weapons then I'll just pack it up. I'm staying away from the range for a while as well.

Questions:

1) Have you found doubling up to be sufficient protection, or have you experienced T aggravation even after doubling up (e.g., perhaps due to "bone conduction?")

2) Do any of you have personally fitted ear plugs? I've seen them offered by vendors at our range from time to time, and if you have any, I'd like to hear your thoughts about them.

Many thanks in advance -
    PEF
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have dealt with tinnitus all my adult life, and use regular hearing protection when I shoot. It hasn't gotten any worse since its onset some thirty-five years ago.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    What?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I use plugs or muffs, but mostly muffs. I never shoot inside and I think that helps.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I have dealt with tinnitus all my adult life, and use regular hearing protection when I shoot. It hasn't gotten any worse since its onset some thirty-five years ago.
    Forty two years for me. Muffs and plugs.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've had screaming tinnitus for more years than I can count, brought on by many causes. On an outdoor range I've found that foam plugs work fine for me, but have to double up in an indoor range. If I had mild case or a beginning case, I'd double up for sure as it's no fun listening to ringing and cicada buzzing all day.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links