Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People? Here: to Police Heros! I'm Angry at Fate!

This is a discussion on Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People? Here: to Police Heros! I'm Angry at Fate! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (SORRY LENGTHY) We all in my area have been very tied in to the results of this police action 6 yrs ago. We are not ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By lionround
  • 2 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 2 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By shadowwalker
  • 1 Post By cn262

Thread: Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People? Here: to Police Heros! I'm Angry at Fate!

Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People? Here: to Police Heros! I'm Angry at Fate!

(SORRY LENGTHY)

We all in my area have been very tied in to the results of this police action 6 yrs ago. We are not a rich community but even poor people donated to this poor young woman, a police officer and to her partner. It's also a story of how police-partners - well some - really feel they are responsible for their partner. Here's what happened, all true:

6 years ago: a male and female partner were first to arrive at a gas station hold up call, the perp was armed, got the money and ran out. They got a quick initial description, found the woman-clerk who was robbed was OK, called her an ambulance to make sure, alerted back-up and then quickly hit the streets in their squad car to see if the BG was still around. The description initially given them was vague, the woman clerk held up pretty disoriented - so they weren't hopeful.
    They then saw a youngish figure walking way up the street, but not giving any appearance of fleeing anything and shorter than what the woman held up had said about the robber. So, they planned to just pull up, get out of their car and ask him a few general questions and take it from there. There was no reason to strongly suspect him of the crime.

They got out, the police and young man approached each other to voice range, the man not looking nervous or anything.

Suddenly the guy jumped in a large step, pulled out a revolver and began shooting at the female police officer, who was in her mid to late 20s. She took a round through the neck and throat and immediately went down. The male officer, a big guy, was so close to the BG after the latter's jump forward that he did not think he could draw his gun without his shooting arm being deflected by the BG.

More important: the shooter was still aiming at his downed partner all set to go again. The male cop estimated he could do nothing with his holstered gun to beat the shooter's trigger finger.

So, he did the one thing available to him, he jumped in between the gun and the prone female cop and threw himself on the felon putting him in a bear hug and trying to wrestle him to the ground. Soon as he hit the guy, the BG put his gun right up against the officer and began firing. The big male officer took several point-blank shots, including one through his own neck, and two in the shoulder/arm area but he wouldn't let go. As he was beginning to pass out he made one last move with all his energy left and did finally what he wanted: they both fell off balance to the ground with the big cop on top of the shooter. Later he testified that when laying there the last sounds he heard before losing consciousness were the repeated clicks from the perps gun, still trying to shoot him though the gun was luckily now empty. Back-up screeched up, disarmed and took the perp prisoner.

There followed a massive medical attempt to save both, paramedics from all over worked especially on the female officer who had stopped breathing. Her neck was broken from the first shot going thru it and they feared her spinal column destroyed. The male officer was in better shape and they transported him fast to a Level I Trauma Center we thankfully have. The hospital put out calls to all available neurosurgeons and other medical personnel who were rushed from their homes to the hospital by police cars to prepare for the young female officer's arrival. Finally stabilized at the scene, she was transported.

No matter what they tried she was obviously paralyzed from the neck down. She went for months to a special rehab facility in New York City, always tried very hard to perform the exercises given her, but there was never much improvement. After that, she lived near here for most of her life in a Home, forever paralyzed - though she wore her respirator only at nights, at other times could speak with effort in short sentences. Finally, after 6 years, her body gave out from the long struggle - and she died last month. I know a good friend of hers. She was decimated.

The male officer recovered after time, but not psychologically. Soon after the shooting, he got into 2 serious motorcycle accidents (his own motorcycle), and almost died in the last one. Recovered from that, he went back to active duty - but it was impossible for him to go into the field on patrol again. Some said he forever blamed himself for not saving his partner from the first shot. Though both officers were given every local, State and some Federal Awards in the book, he couldn't shake this feeling. Why, who knows? He took bullet after bullet for her. But I don't pretend to know what survivors feel in this type of horrible situation. The officer finally left the force; I know nothing about his whereabouts, his state of mind, any work he has. He was seen quietly approaching his young partner's casket at the wake. He prayed for awhile and then, as silently as had come in, left the funeral home.

God bless them both. Sorry to share a long and discouraging story of heroes who don't have a happy ending. I guess that is life. And life is not a film that, as we usually see them, turns out the way we want. Still makes me very angry. Many people here feel the same.

But part of this is a beautiful story of police-partners who had the highest sense of responsibility for each other. And, since one of them just passed, I guess I had a need to share it.

Best, thank you if you read it all.
    Last edited by detective; April 3rd, 2013 at 01:06 PM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm very sorry for your (and our) loss.

It's been my experience that very bad things tend to happen to very good people. I believe it has something to do with the nature of the world that we live in.
    detective, darbo and USM1976 like this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    He has to know that he did ALL that he could have done. Granted, it was not sufficient but it was enough. I am sorry for your loss and the loss to your community of a public servant. Or in this case, two of them. I pray that he will be OK, but he has to deal with his own demons. Even if they are of his own making.

RIP to the female officer.
    detective likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Horribly tragic all around. LEO's don't get nearly the credit they deserve. I feel very sorry for everyone concerned, including all the people in your town. Life changes in the blink of an eye.
    USM1976 and detective like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I have been to too many police officer funerals over the last 35 years. I know this sounds trite, but like military personnel, police officers form an attachment with other officers because of the life and death situations in which they find themselves. Often police officers cannot communicate to their spouses about their activities because the spouses wouldn't comprehend the feelings, which adds to the high rate of divorce in the LE community. One cannot understand it unless you've been there.

I know these things to be true in my own career. It was very difficult for me to talk to my wife about what I saw and how I reacted. Thankfully, she became use to the distance of the job and us. We've been married almost 34 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    I have been to too many police officer funerals over the last 35 years. I know this sounds trite, but like military personnel, police officers form an attachment with other officers because of the life and death situations in which they find themselves. Often police officers cannot communicate to their spouses about their activities because the spouses wouldn't comprehend the feelings, which adds to the high rate of divorce in the LE community. One cannot understand it unless you've been there.

I know these things to be true in my own career. It was very difficult for me to talk to my wife about what I saw and how I reacted. Thankfully, she became use to the distance of the job and us. We've been married almost 34 years now.
    That is a great story of two mature people who really know what true love is.

John 15:13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

The officer tried to do just that for his partner. There is no more for him to do but to know that she's Home now, all's well for her.
    detective and WHEC724 like this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Understood and our prayers always include those who go above and beyond and give all, God Bless
    detective likes this.

Unfortunately, you could ask the same about why children get horrible diseases, why there is hunger and poverty, why are entire families killed by a single drunk driver, and why evil is allowed to exist. I have a friend who is a paramedic and struggles with this all the time, especially when innocent children are involved. For most of us it is very hard to see bad things happen to people we feel deserve better, whether it is law enforcement, soldiers, volunteers trying to help others and make a difference, or just ordinary people. This type of loss is always sad, but in celebrating their life and accomplishments there is the opportunity to inspire others.

To me, the question really is, "Why do good people need to suffer?" These are age old questions that have many answers, but ultimately come down to faith in whatever you believe in (or, purely random events if you don't believe in anything greater than yourself). As a former Sunday School Teacher I have my own Christian beliefs (this is one way that I like to look at it - Ecclesiastes 11 NLT). But, other religions have similar concepts. For example, Buddhism has the "Four Noble Truths" - the first of which is "Life is Suffering." It really is a universal question. It really comes down to individual faith.

But personally, I try to focus on the good that people did in their life (even if it was the brief joy that a newborn baby brought a family), try to lead the best person and role model that I can be, and have faith that good people do make a difference. Otherwise, it can be hard to find purpose in an unfair world.
    detective likes this.

A bad scene for all involved. Whats worse, the Perp probably didn't get the sentence he deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by lionround View Post
    He has to know that he did ALL that he could have done. Granted, it was not sufficient but it was enough. I am sorry for your loss and the loss to your community of a public servant. Or in this case, two of them. I pray that he will be OK, but he has to deal with his own demons. Even if they are of his own making.

RIP to the female officer.
    LR said it better than I ever could. I can never find the right words in situations like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by IBGoodToGo View Post
    A bad scene for all involved. Whats worse, the Perp probably didn't get the sentence he deserved.
    He got 30 years. But since he was 19 - or perhaps younger - he could be out at age 50 - plenty of time to wreak more havoc on good people. He was convicted of many charges but obviously one was attempted murder. Now that the officer died he could be charged with Murder of a Police Officer: automatic Life With No Parole I think that sentence is - and in this area any Jury would only take a short time to convict.

I think the authorities are going to bow to what her family wants though - I believe the thinking is they have been through so much suffering already they don't to want to put them through the whole event again with another investigation and trial unless the family wants that. Least that was the initial word.

This is another horribly complicated decision. Since I've never had to make a choice like this I offer no opinion. I don't know where the best lies here. That's another fact-of-life: there is no teacher to give us the right answer in many situations.

As a great writer once said: "There are no dress-rehearsals in life."

Links