Favorite protective dog breeds?

This is a discussion on Favorite protective dog breeds? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, the wife and I are looking at getting a dog. We're not sure if we really want to yet, but we're thinking about it. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Favorite protective dog breeds?

Well, the wife and I are looking at getting a dog. We're not sure if we really want to yet, but we're thinking about it. We currently have a yard and a house with hardwood floors (renting) so training would be fairly easy at this point. The wife has a lot of experience training dogs, we just haven't ever owned one as a couple. I'm not a huge dog person, but she loves them. I just about shot one that leaped off a porch the other night while we were out for a walk. Luckily it was tied up.

Anywho. We're active people, we go running a lot and would like a dog that would enjoy running with us, especially if work takes me away from home (as it sometimes does) and she has to run alone. We're currently leaning towards a German Shepherd, or possibly a Belgian Malinois. Most likely a German. There's apparently a German Shepherd rescue around here that specializes in them (who knew?), so we're going to check them out and see if we can find one only a few months old so we don't have to train bad habits out of it before training it the way we want.

We're looking for something that, like I said, will go running with us and be active, but not super energetic all the time. I refuse to own anything that is small enough to punt at full adult size. We want a shorthair. We're going to stay in climates that don't get much colder than Oklahoma. While Oklahoma can get pretty chilly, we plan on keeping the dog inside most of the time. We'd prefer to stay around 90lbs max. I don't do tiny dogs, but I don't want a horse with sharp teeth either. I really don't like Rottweilers. Don't ask why, I don't really have a reason. I just don't like them. Finally, we want a dog that can play nice with people when we want it to, but can tear someone's arm off if we *need* it to.

So yeah, we're leaning towards a German right now. What's your favorite breed? Any other suggestions?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I like the germans, but I am not sure they are considered short hair. Maybe shorter than some, but I read that they shed more than some other breeds. M favorite dogs to own thus far have been labs. Great with others but large enough and strong enough to do some protecting. Great swimmers too which is always nice. Very active, but great indoors as well. And love to swim!

I want a mastiff someday because I always wanted to ride my dog, but idk if that will ever pan out. Good luck.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Having owned and worked with many protection dogs, your situation really screams German Shepherd dog. A well bred GSD is an evenly tempered hard worker that will also allow the 2 year old kid to tug at an ear or tail. They are highly devoted and family-centric, protective dogs as a breed, with the biggest downside being shedding (a small price to pay for all the positives IMO). The Belgian Mallinois is an energetic and often more aggressive breed; I would be reluctant to own one in a situation where there are many kids or where the dog could not be confined easily. They are a great breed for police work, as they do well in apprehension and tracking, but they fall far short of the GSD as a family member and around kids.

Some may disagree with me, as all dog owners have their favorites. My comments are based on my experiences both at work and at home. Make sure you get a quality dog from a reputable source and remember that any dog can be a potential liability. If you choose to train for protection, join a reputable club that is a member of the Schutzhund Association (USA), as they will be able to help you determine your dog's abilities. They can also be helpful in identifying reputable breeders with a track record of good working dogs. Best of luck.
    Last edited by DocT65; April 4th, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
    paaiyan and Dennis1209 like this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Thanks for the heads-up, Doc. Kids aren't an issue all the time as we don't have any (and won't any time soon), though we are active in mentoring the youth group at church and occasionally have them over. So we'd be talking about teenagers, not little tykes.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Once you own a GS..........that's it.......we're on our 5th...... smarter and more trustworthy than everyone I know.

My wifes big issue with the GS is shedding as well. I am not sure how I would handle a dog that is smarter than me!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

What you want is a shepherd lab mix. Best of both worlds.

Friendly, lovable to those who deserve it, but very protective against perceived threats. Lots of energy though (not as much as a pure lab) so get them exercise.

Nah............actually ours' now is a Long Hair GS and he looks twice the size of some of the GS I see on our walks....folks actually cross the street when they see my wife walkin' him.....the hair is not that bad if you vaccum regularly......but your right, you'll have to get used to the fact the dog is smarter than you and can hear better, see better, run faster, jump higher and smell better.
    Growing up I've had Labs, Dobies, you name it....
    If you get a GS.......You'll be hooked immediately for life.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

When you say smell do you mean he smells nicer than me or can smell more effectively? IDK why I ask...I know its both.

My wife will be less than thrilled when I bring up not only more guns, but now dogs this evening. Thanks guys....
    BigJon

Right................Both.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My "running" days are over, so are my walking days for the most part. I want a boxer. Pure muscle.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

My last 3 were rescued. Two were about 6 months. One was 4 years. All worked out. All different breeds. We are not into small lap dogs either.

I grew up with GS and currently have a doberman. Both very smart and loving breeds. Dobies will be better with the shedding but essentially have to be an inside dog- very little fat and fur they will get cold. Since you mentioned that you are renting I suggest you do your research- into your landlord and their insurance or your renters insurance etc. Most traditional guard or protection dog breeds are on the dangerous dogs/high risk dogs list and many insurances or landlords won't allow them. I rent and ill tell you from experience that it was a tough time finding a landlord that would accept a GS, doberman, Rottweiler, pitbull, chow etc.
    image.jpg
    Just under a year old, 70 pound female with natural ears. Her protective and watchdog instincts are developing nicely... well as soon as she learns that the neighborhood cat is not a threat

I've owned several breeds of dogs in my life, including German Shepard. IMHO, Rottweiler is the best for home protection and companionship. Ours lets my grandchildren crawl all over her & even chew on her ears. They're not "barkers" & doesn't shed as much as a GS. Great dogs, but you need to truly know what you're doing when training.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

VIP Member
    I can't believe you don't like the rotts. They are way better than the GS. I would avoid a GS at any cost. If you want a dog to do what you have listed a female Rottweiler would be great. If you can't get over the rott thing, please,please don't go for a dobby or GS. get a retriever like this one chase%20sleep.JPG .
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links