Anti-Hunting Judge Voted Off Bench

This is a discussion on Anti-Hunting Judge Voted Off Bench within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; At least some good news for today, according to the Salt Lake Tribune, anti-hunter judge Leslie Lewis was voted off the bench! ********* Third District ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Hunting Judge Voted Off Bench

Anti-Hunting Judge Voted Off Bench

At least some good news for today, according to the Salt Lake Tribune, anti-hunter judge Leslie Lewis was voted off the bench!

Third District Judge Leslie Lewis ousted
    By Lisa Rosetta
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated:11/08/2006 01:43:30 AM MST

Third District Judge Leslie Lewis and Grand County Justice Court Judge Paul C. Cox were voted off the bench Tuesday, becoming the third and fourth judges ousted since Utah adopted a retention election system in 1985.
    Lewis came under fire by Gun Owners of Utah, as well as an anonymous group that posted a Web site, after she berated the brother of a man accused of poaching a deer. She also is being investigated for allegedly changing a sex offender's sentence without telling prosecutors.
    Lewis will serve until her term ends Dec. 31, said state courts spokeswoman Nancy Volmer.
    Said N.W. Clayton, spokesman for Gun Owners of Utah: "We helped make some of Utah's deer hunters and gun owners aware of the fact that she was expressing extreme prejudice against a lawful activity that many of them engage in."
    Attorneys who publicly supported Lewis said the community is losing a competent, experienced judge.
    "I just don't like the way this one was done," said attorney Greg Skordas. "I felt it was underhanded."
    Attorney Dan Berman worries Lewis' defeat sets a bad precedent. "It's very easy in the world we live in to have judges make unpopular decisions that may be very much an appropriate decision or one that you would want a judge to make independent, free of punishment."
    Cox, meanwhile, was not certified for retention by the Utah Judicial Council.
    Twenty-four district and juvenile court judges and 37 justice court judges were retained, as were two of Utah's five Supreme Court justices, according to unofficial returns at press time.

Last edited by quantum36; November 8th, 2006 at 05:21 PM.

2. Remove Ads

well that's good...I have to say that I think she deserved it after watching that video

Assistant Administrator
    No tears to be shed here - after her disgusting display of unprofessionalism.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

That's great news. The judge's seat isn't for preaching your political ideals, it's for interpreting the law.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

One Down...

a few hundred more to go...

Bye, Bye...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Utah Just Got Better...

GREAT NEWS

"Attorney Dan Berman worries Lewis' defeat sets a bad precedent. "It's very easy in the world we live in to have judges make unpopular decisions that may be very much an appropriate decision or one that you would want a judge to make independent, free of punishment."

I have no problem with her making tough, unpopluar decisions, as long as the decisions are grounded within the law--not using the bench as a bully pulpit and her exercising her authority unchecked.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update. I needed some good news and I don't think it could have been any better than this.

That horrible woman was a tyrant and should have been removed the day of the incident IMO.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    +50 to SIGguy. Glad she is gone.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Glad to hear it. Wish that system was more widespread! Would help deal with revisionist judges...
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

boo-hoo ! Bye-bye she-witch !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum36 View Post
    Attorneys who publicly supported Lewis said the community is losing a competent, experienced judge.
    "I just don't like the way this one was done," said attorney Greg Skordas. "I felt it was underhanded."
    Attorney Dan Berman worries Lewis' defeat sets a bad precedent. "It's very easy in the world we live in to have judges make unpopular decisions that may be very much an appropriate decision or one that you would want a judge to make independent, free of punishment."
    Excuse me, Mr. Skordas, the voters spoke, in accordance with Utah law...she was a judge who exceeded her authority in a singularly inappropriate way. She probably would deserve to be disbarred for abusing her authority in a just world, but I've learned not to confuse the law with justice--I find they are different concepts.

As for Mr. Berman's comment, SIGguy229 said it perfectly... +1.

maybe the law and justice are not the same , but this is pure case of "poetic justice " , of course peta will pick her up for ten times what she was making , maybe if she truly feels that way , maybe she could voulenteer her services non-grati . so i caint spell i'm just a no good hick with a vote .
    lol

elance

Woo hoo couldn't happen to a better person
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Mr. Skordas needs to realize that just because "Her Honor" was a judge did not mean she had to also be publically judgemental.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links