Do not click here if arachnophobic!

This is a discussion on Do not click here if arachnophobic! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Researchers have discovered a new tarantula species that's big enough to cover your face. Poecilotheria rajaei is in a lovely grey camo bark pattern, similar ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By whoppo
  • 4 Post By atctimmy

Thread: Do not click here if arachnophobic!

VIP Member

Researchers have discovered a new tarantula species that's big enough to cover your face. Poecilotheria rajaei is in a lovely grey camo bark pattern, similar to others of its genus. I'm sure t keeps everywhere are wanting one for their collection now. Members of the Poecilotheria genus (known as "Pokies") are known to be very agile, fast, ill-tempered, and more venomous than most other tarantulas. And that's why I never had one. Here is a bite report from a t keeper who had a Pokie incident.

It's not the biggest species of tarantula - the largest being the goliath birdeating tarantula that can have a legspan of 12 inches. I had a male one, and he was a big boy. I had close to a dozen tarantulas total, but gave all the survivors away shortly after I got married. Hubby no like spiders.

My meanest was an Usambara Orange. Shiva was a mean redhead, and when I got her, she was covered in mites. The cure for that was to paint baby powder on the affected areas. So I had to catch an ill-tempered, fast-moving spider and use a paintbrush on her. And that I did. Here's a photo of her covered in baby powder. As you can see, she is perched on glass.

shiva.jpg

That's how agile some of these t's can be. My A. avicularia would jump from me onto the side of its tank. He was a docile one and you could pet him. Another one I had was named Houdini. I don't need to explain that name much, but I can tell you I had to stack boxes of ammo on his tank lid....

So look up, look on your windows, you never know.

Sweet dreams!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member
    One of the benefits of living in a colder climate... none of these!
    darbo likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    They are beautiful, from a distance. Around here the big garden spiders are quite common.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gard...I7ADFA_enUS483
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    "Ain't much to look at after you scrape them off your boot." Johnny Rico
    atctimmy had a bad run in with a Brown Recluse. I got tagged on my calf while sitting on the steps leading to my garage. It eroded a hole the size of a quarter in my calf and about 1/2 of an inch deep. It looked nasty, like someone took a melon ball scoop right out of my leg.

The venom was so strong that, when I slept the first night, the bite on my right calf touched my left calf and some of the venom made a little swelled up red mark on there too. It made me think I had been bitten twice. After just a day or two the damage to my right leg was so bad that I knew it was only one bite.

Ouch!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I find Spiders interesting and give some of them the distance they probably deserve. I am not afraid of them, but the potentially dangerous ones I tend to steer clear of.

Timmy's bad encounter with the Brown Recluse reminds me of an event many years ago when I was just a kid. A girl over in Ohio was bitten by one and eventually died. Doctors were baffled about her "condition" because nobody had ever seen something like that. Eventually they found out it was a spider bite that killed the child.

I saw a huge Black Widow spider in between some old left-behind railroad tracks of a defunct line as I was walking to the baseball fields for practice. I had dropped my glove and when I reached for it, I saw her in the crack between the rails. She was about the size of a quarter and I could clearly see the red hourglass shape on her under side. Needless to say, I gave her a wide berth.

Then there was the spider that took up residence in the side mirror of my work vehicle. Each night she'd build an orb web that covered the mirror. Dispite numerous attempts to dislodge it, and running the Jeep through the carwash, that spider survived. I no longer drive it, but I'd bet that spider is still living there.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

That's all I can say about spiders.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    We have brown recluses and black widow spiders here in TN. We weren't too good upkeeping our composter last year, and it turned into a bug party, which was a buffet for the black widows. My husband opened the lid one day, and there was around a dozen black widows in there, all fat and happy. The inside of the composter looked like it was lined with moth balls, except those weren't moth balls. They were egg sacs.

I was bitten in the torso by something years ago while sleeping. I never saw the culprit, but did see a couple tiny puncture marks. I felt like someone whacked me with a baseball bat and cracked a couple ribs, and for days my muscles in that area would spasm.

Bentonite clay is supposed to be good for drawing out the poison. I used it on my son when he nailed by some fire ants, and it alleviated the pain/blistering fairly efficiently.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I hear camel spiders get quite large although I have no first hand experience.
    large-camel-spider.jpg
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    I hear camel spiders get quite large although I have no first hand experience.
    large-camel-spider.jpg
    That critter is just about big enough to throw a saddle on.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I hate those animals. Most arachnids for that matter. They creep me out. We have lots of black widows here. Never encountered a recluse that I recognize, but know they are here. Before we got a pest control company, as soon as the weather warmed up I could guarantee killing 5-7 widows a night.

Give me reptiles any day. Glad you like em Betty, but man they give me the heeby jeebies!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Links