Local police delete comment

This is a discussion on Local police delete comment within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think this represents just how bad things are getting in this country. My local police department posted a picture of their new DARE car, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Local police delete comment

Local police delete comment

I think this represents just how bad things are getting in this country.

My local police department posted a picture of their new DARE car, with the tag "Courtesy of your local drug dealer".

Most of the comments were "way to go" types, so I put my two cents in. I don't have the exact wording, but here is my paraphrase:

That's great, kudos for that. What I am concerned about though is that we have "local drug dealers" in the city. For years the Mayor said "there are NO gangs in [city]". Officials are always saying "drugs and gangs go hand-in-hand". I'm just concerned if we are seeing an increase of activity here?

The local police department deleted my comment within 15 minutes. No explanation.

I admit, it's their Facebook page, so they can do that, but to me it still feels like the suppression of my free speech "redress of grievances with government". I would think this counts.

Anyway, I feel that if we have any government agency that's willing to remove comments that are generally positive, while noting concern, we have tyranny.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "Thoughts"
    I have two on the matter:

1) It's FB. Get over it.

2) Tyranny in many ways is already here. You're just getting your first whiff of it.
    Bad Bob, sixgun and JoJoGunn like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Facebook is part of the US Intel gathering network.
    ANGLICO and atctimmy like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Some folks just don't like to be made to look bad.
    BigJon10125 and thephanatik like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It is a government agency...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The car may have been provided as a result of a drug confiscation but the funding for the DARE program is provided by taxpayers and private donations in the billions of dollars per year. The DARE program has proven to be a failure and has been dropped by many school districts and PD's. Google DARE funding to get a true picture of the pros and cons of the program.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    No gangs in St. Louis? That's awesome. Your mayor must be doing a great job! (( ))

Anyway, I'm sure the car was very nice. Just play along.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

As I've begun to say... you are one of us living in the "old America".. which I am afraid to say is long gone and dead.

You know what you've got going on... the very contemplation of the possibility answers your own question.. as they say, if you have to ask....

Quote Originally Posted by XD9rottie View Post
    I admit, it's their Facebook page, so they can do that, but to me it still feels like the suppression of my free speech "redress of grievances with government". I would think this counts.
    I think your first part was right and you can stop right after that because free speech does not apply in a forum like Facebook (or Defensive Carry for that matter). Get over it. If you want to start up your own website and post your free speech, have at it.

Of all the things that concerns me personally,someone removing a comment of mine from FB,isn't exactly one of them,unless it's my site.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I think your first part was right and you can stop right after that because free speech does not apply in a forum like Facebook (or Defensive Carry for that matter). Get over it. If you want to start up your own website and post your free speech, have at it.
    There is a HUGE difference between a personal facebook page, or DC, and a page established and maintained by taxpayer-funded employees. Freedom of speech most definitely SHOULD apply to the 'Comments' section of a public police department FB page!
    atctimmy likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Just "Unlike" them. That will show them.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We are living in times when people don't like our "printed" comments they can just hit the "delete" key and whisk them away into cyberspace. It goes with the electronic territory we've allowed ourselves to be immersed in.

I wouldn't sweat it. It's just the tolerant people showing just how tolerant they truly are.

Oh, and since it's Facebook, just UNFRIEND them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    No gangs in St. Louis? That's awesome. Your mayor must be doing a great job! (( ))

Anyway, I'm sure the car was very nice. Just play along.
    Only if you still consider the Mafia as a "gang." I remember when the Mafia was blowing up people in St Louis, car bombs seemed to be their favorite method.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Only if you still consider the Mafia as a "gang." I remember when the Mafia was blowing up people in St Louis, car bombs seemed to be their favorite method.
    The Mafia was the original "gang".
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links