Anyone use compound bows?

This is a discussion on Anyone use compound bows? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've always wanted a bow, and I think I'm just about ready to take that giant leap. My back yard is perfect for it, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anyone use compound bows?

VIP Member

I've always wanted a bow, and I think I'm just about ready to take that giant leap. My back yard is perfect for it, and with ammo shortages, etc., I can plink all day to my heart's content to satisfy my "shoot something" fix. My birthday is next month, so that's what I'm "shooting" for.

I've got my eyes on a Diamond Infinite Edge Compound Bow in black, and it comes in a package with 3-Pin Apex Sight, Hostage XL Arrow Rest, Octane DeadLock Lite Quiver, tube peep sight and a BCY String Loop. I have an approx. 24" draw length. I'm trying to keep everything - bow, accessories, a starter set of 5 arrows, under $500.

I've been learning as much as I can to make a good decision, but any and all advice is appreciated. Set me up!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It's been many years since I drew a bowstring, and my shoulders probably wouldn't allow it now, but archery was a pleasent past time for me. Used to run out to the base range to get tuned up for deer season (not that it did much good!).

I have no clue as to what brands are out there now, but don't go too high on the power. Also plan on making your own arrows. It's easy and like reloading, allows you more options than what your local archery store might carry. The equipment is inexpensive as are the materials.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I highly recommend finding a local bow shop with knowledgable staff. IMO, you get treated better by the local shops than a big box store. A lot of them sell used bows too. I bought a used Matthews Conquest several years ago and it's still going strong.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I highly recommend finding a local bow shop with knowledgable staff. IMO, you get treated better by the local shops than a big box store. A lot of them sell used bows too. I bought a used Matthews Conquest several years ago and it's still going strong.
    Quoteth for Trvth...

Just getting back into it myself. Might have struck out with my recent purchase; it feels a bit small(30.5" draw length).

I and my sons were heavily into bow hunting for many years. Ive been out of the game for a while now so Im sure there are tons of new whizbang gizmos out there. compound is the way to go. We always used Martin single cam bows. They were more adjustable for draw length weight etc to fine tune.

I did all the set up, string loops, tuning repairing and arrow refletching myself and for some other folks around here.

Arrows you really need six not five, Easton aluminum carbon covered shafts were the cats meow then. And durable.

If you get into it it will be no time your doing your own string loops, tuning etc. And probably dropping two of three of those pins off the sight if you going for whitetails LOL. Have fun.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    If you get into it it will be no time your doing your own string loops, tuning etc. And probably dropping two of three of those pins off the sight if you going for whitetails LOL. Have fun.
    The multiple pin sights are a little weird to me, I've been looking at the Truglo Range Rover because it's more like a rifle front sight and more "familiar." But I think I'll stick to the stock sight and see how I like it first.

The hubby said, "Why don't you get a crossbow and be like Darryl?" (I think he really meant "Why don't you get a crossbow so I can be like Darryl?" )

Daryl Crossbow.jpg

Nah, more like Jessica Biehl.

jessicabielblade31.jpg
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Two things:

1) This (in bold):
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    The smaller bow shops with dedicated staff are the place to be. Larger chain stores just don't have the expertise.

2) If you look at all, in any way, like Jessica Biel then I'm going to need your phone number.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    On my way to a dedicated archery shop. Let's see what I bring home.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    On my way to a dedicated archery shop. Let's see what I bring home.
    Good for you. I've been thinking of getting one for way to long.

VIP Member
    On my way back. I've got a Mathews Riot and I'm going to have sore arms tomorrow, but had a great time at The Archery Den in Franklin, TN. Very helpful guy, gave me recommendations all the way through, and I can nail the bullseye. Not half as intimidating as I thought it would be. I have a 24" draw length and I'm starting off with a 34lb draw.

atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    That's a good starting weight. Too many get "macho" and start out too high, never develop the skills, and give up. You'll probably feel it in the back of your shoulder more. A consistant release is what you want to work toward. It's as important as trigger squeeze with a gun. The archery "trigger releases" were just coming into vogue when I gave it up. I always felt more in control using my fingers.

Now you're going to be investing in a fletcher, vanes, inserts, nocks, a range out back, etc.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I am starting off with six field point arrows, but I do think learning to make my own arrows would be a good thing.

I'm just pleased I can get my shooting fix in my own backyard and not have to wear ear protection.

I'm not fond of the camo pattern, but I was told it holds better resale value. I doubt I'd upgrade this anytime soon, but who knows. It's like saying, "I'm done, that's all the guns I need."

Matthew makes a great bow. It's hard to go wrong with them. Glad you had a local shop to work with you. The one I go to does most of my repair work for free now as long as I'm buying something while I'm there.

The lower draw weight will be beneficial starting out for sure. I shot tournaments for a while and shot about 70# draw. I've backed that down seriously because without lots of practice you just can't draw it from a tree stand.

Form, form, form. Find good anchor points and hit those marks all the time. Your anchor points are basically your rear sight and the pins are your front site. If the rear sight is off, the front one is too. I use a kisser button, peep sight, and I lock the knuckle of my pointer finger in the pocket behind by ear lobe and put my thumb on the back of my neck. That all ensures that I'm lined up the same way every time on the back side of the bow. Everyone is different so you will just have to find your "spots".

Have fun!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Lead Moderator
    Did you get it fitted to you? This seems to be the most important aspect for comfortable shooting a compound bow. Enjoy!
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I didn't say this before because I didn't want to push you away from the bow that you liked, but Mathews is where it's at! Nice job Betty.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links