Ambien and firearms don't mix

This is a discussion on Ambien and firearms don't mix within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Supposedely some clown, in my complex, who was prescribed Ambien for chronic sleep deprivation got up in the middle of the night and shot off ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By CanuckQue
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By CanuckQue

Thread: Ambien and firearms don't mix

Ambien and firearms don't mix

Supposedely some clown, in my complex, who was prescribed Ambien for chronic sleep deprivation got up in the middle of the night and shot off one of those DPX slugs with 3 OO pellets shells inside the condo without ever knowing he had done it.

This particular 12G shell is for home defense but not when you think your door frame is coming after you while under the influence of Ambien.

Apparently neighbors had called police due to a loud "gunshot" type noise coming the bottom condo. Once there police discovered the resident sleeping soundly with a door frame to his bedroom that was torn all to hell. Police obscounded the shotgun and discovered that the shell in the chamber had been shot and the safety was back in it's "safe" position.

We've all head stories of people driving longs distances and showing up at the shopping mall in the middle of the night but this particular incident has me wondering about how deep we may need to examine mental health records in the future.

Please, let's keep this discussion about mental health, drugs used in mental health disorders etc.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Supposedely some clown, in my complex, who was prescribed Ambien for chronic sleep deprivation got up in the middle of the night and shot off one of those DPX slugs with 3 OO pellets shells inside the condo without ever knowing he had done it.

This particular 12G shell is for home defense but not when you think your door frame is coming after you while under the influence of Ambien.

Apparently neighbors had called police due to a loud "gunshot" type noise coming the bottom condo. Once there police discovered the resident sleeping soundly with a door frame to his bedroom that was torn all to hell. Police obscounded the shotgun and discovered that the shell in the chamber had been shot and the safety was back in it's "safe" position.

We've all head stories of people driving longs distances and showing up at the shopping mall in the middle of the night but this particular incident has me wondering about how deep we may need to examine mental health records in the future.

Please, let's keep this discussion about mental health, drugs used in mental health disorders etc.
    I take a small does of Ambien and I asked my doc about this with firearms. He didn't think complex acting out a dream was likely on Ambien, yet I do hear of
    incidents like you reported. Scary

I'll do my mental health research charities plug here.

Actually, some people will just do stuff during their dreaming, and these people often ask for medication, because their sleep pattern is so difficult to deal with. I suffer a variant of it. It sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder (RBD) is a sleep disorder (more specifically a parasomnia) that involves abnormal behaviour during the sleep phase with rapid eye movement (REM sleep).
    The major and arguably only abnormal feature of RBD is loss of muscle atonia (paralysis) during otherwise intact REM sleep. This is the stage of sleep in which most vivid dreaming occurs. The loss of motor inhibition leads to a wide spectrum of behavioural release during sleep. This extends from simple limb twitches to more complex integrated movement, in which sufferers appear to be unconsciously acting out their dreams. These behaviours can be violent in nature and in some cases will result in injury to either the patient or their bed partner.
    and, more scarily

In one study, researchers found that up to 75% of patients with REM behavior disorder went on to develop a Parkinsonian disorder,
    Parkinson's Disease and Sleep | National Sleep Foundation - Information on Sleep Health and Safety

I worked in Parkinson's research for a bit, and the link between violently acting out dreams and future Parkinson's is considered a real thing.
    Skygod likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    That guy should either stop taking Ambien or get rid of his guns because obviously for him, the two don't mix.

My husband doesn't sleep very well and tried Ambien. He woke up with a panic attack the first time he took it and said, never again.

I take one Benedryl tablet before I go to bed and that does it for me.
    Skygod likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My dreams are already too realistic, and I physically react to them. No way I'm taking that stuff.
    Skygod likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Insomia or sleeping disorders are no joke. I have been using a small dosage of lorazepam but would love to find something that works as well but is more natural. Does the benedryl have any drowsiness effect the next day?

I only use melatonin, and I use it very carefully. I only use it as an aid to maintain normal sleep cycles.
    Backwoodz likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Exercise during the day, could just be a longish walk, can make better sleep. But not near bedtime. Then it can keep you alert and be hard to fall asleep.

I've had horrible sleep timing all my life. My sleep clock starts around 3:00 am. But the world doesn't start near noon. Also, all my life I've had jobs with various schedules day to day - or straight 3 to 11:00pm. I'm also just lazy and like to read late at night.

Links