Big Green Egg Grill

Big Green Egg Grill

This is a discussion on Big Green Egg Grill within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anybody have and use one of these? I was checking them out online and they sounded like the ultimate grill. But then when I checked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Big Green Egg Grill

Big Green Egg Grill

Anybody have and use one of these? I was checking them out online and they sounded like the ultimate grill. But then when I checked the local ACE store, I was shocked by the price, well over $1000

comments?

Worth every penny
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

They really are the ultimate grill.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I have one from 1994. It is a great grill, but I bought it for under $200.00. I would not pay $1,000.00 for a new one. I would look at the knock-offs.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

I can't swallow that price either but would love to have one. Everything I've read about them seems to make them into a super cooker. I mean, you can bake a cake in the damned things!

The knock off's are cheaper and there's a reason....go lift the lid on a BGE and then one of the cheaper kamado type grills.

The accessories are way overpriced though....some of that stuff is just priced stupid high for no other reason than it's BGE
    Concealed means hidden from ordinary observation so as to prevent disclosure or recognition. A deadly weapon is concealed when it is carried on or about the person in such a manner that another person in the ordinary course of events would not be placed on notice that the weapon was being carried.

Check out grill dome as well. The large one is about $900. I managed to pick one at at Costco 2 years ago. It was an $1100 package for $800. It is the best money to can spend on a grill. One of my few purchases that the wife approved of after I bought it, although she was skeptical of it due to the price as well.

I make a killer pizza in it, great pulled pork. It will keep a steady 220 deg for 16 hours on one load of coal.

This thing is built to last as well. No worries of it rusting out. If you are a grill/chef it's money well spent. Better than a $400 grill from home depot. This will last over 20 years easy. How long will that $400 grill last, 5 to 6 years?

VIP Member
    I have one. I figured it is the last grill I will buy in my entire life. I used to use webers, but no more.

If you like to smoke meat, this is worth every penny. I used to smoke in metal smokers and I had to tend to fire every several hours. With this grill I get the temp to 235 or so and I go to bed. I get up in the morning and its still at 235.

It is also nigh impervious to outside temperatures. 20 degrees outside? No problem, grill or smoke away.

If you only grill once every couple of weeks, and don't smoke or do any other types of cooking on a grill, stick with a weber or some other less expensive set up. But if you enjoy grilling and smoking and doing it often, then I recommend them.

I did splurge for the extra large. We entertain sometimes and I managed to do four pork shoulders in it at once.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Have had one for about a year, like it very much but for me, i need a gas grill also for quick burgers and things when i dont want to wait for the egg to get going.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You'd think after all these years Weber would learn how to attach a hinged lid.
    PEF likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You'd think after all these years Weber would learn how to attach a hinged lid.
    There needs to be a double or triple like available....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VIP Member
    We have one and absolutely love it. We didn't pay for ours - each of our families split for it as a wedding present for us. They come in different sizes and different stand options. Ours is a size large on the rolling "nest" stand with folding shelves. It's very easy to use. Anything you grill on it has wonderful, rich flavor. A whole turkey or chicken on it is amazing. I like doing shrimp kebobs. I don't even bother with a steakhouse, because a black angus steak on the Egg is so much better. Hamburgers?
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    We have one and absolutely love it. We didn't pay for ours - each of our families split for it as a wedding present for us. They come in different sizes and different stand options. Ours is a size large on the rolling "nest" stand with folding shelves. It's very easy to use. Anything you grill on it has wonderful, rich flavor. A whole turkey or chicken on it is amazing. I like doing shrimp kebobs. I don't even bother with a steakhouse, because a black angus steak on the Egg is so much better. Hamburgers?
    So true! We rarely go out for steaks now because what we make at home is now just as good or better.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VIP Member
    I get really upset when I go to a "steakhouse" and order a medium steak, pay an insane amount for it, and it comes back to me tough and dry as a bone....
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I am thinking of selling mags for my pt709 to buy one. I envy those of you who already have one.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    All that and a new bow too. Life must be good.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links