The War on Drugs

This is a discussion on The War on Drugs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mods if this is the wrong place for this please move. I am one of the people on the fence about legalizing drugs. I think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The War on Drugs

The War on Drugs

Mods if this is the wrong place for this please move.

I am one of the people on the fence about legalizing drugs. I think pot should be legal, but question whether or not some of the harder stuff should be. I am torn between freedom and my upbringing. I came across this video from Yeager about the subject and think he makes some goods point. I am looking for feedback on this for my own sake.

This is a Yeager video. There is one bad word. Please be advised.

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've always been torn over this subject as well.

I still am.

I detest how stupid pot makes people. I hurt for the addicts of the harder stuff. I cringe at the thought of our decadent and lazy society having unlimited access to liquefy their minds.

Yet, I see little point in continuing to pour such valuable resources into trying to stop something that's flooding in from so many sources. Imagine those resources being applied the crimes where the individual is hurting someone other than themself?

I suppose that I would not be opposed to legalizing all of it and letting the chips fall where they may.
    .45acpguy and phreddy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I've always been torn over this subject as well.

I still am.

I detest how stupid pot makes people. I hurt for the addicts of the harder stuff. I cringe at the thought of our decadent and lazy society having unlimited access to liquefy their minds.

Yet, I see little point in continuing to pour such valuable resources into trying to stop something that's flooding in from so many sources. Imagine those resources being applied the crimes where the individual is hurting someone other than themself?

I suppose that I would not be opposed to legalizing all of it and letting the chips fall where they may.
    I am in the same boat. Yeager makes some valid points in his video. Some of which I had not considered. Your part in bold is a very good point. I think they would be over funded at that point.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Society always needs a bad guy, and drugs have been fulfilling that need for a good long while now.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I'd say legalize them if we didn't have a welfare state. But since our taxes and premiums already go to paying for the consequences of other people's moronic choices, I'm not sure. So yes, legalize drugs, but only in a broader context where other govt programs are shutdown so we're not picking up the check when addicts get horribly ill, or can't work. That's the price of real freedom: Eventually we're going to have to allow self-destructive people to self-destruct, and not feel responsible for helping. A generation of people dying on the streets and 90% of the world's screw ups would realize they need to get their crap together because there isn't a damn safety net anymore that allows them to be children their whole lives.

Man, I'm usually a bit lefty. Must be grumpy.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There's simply too much money involved in drugs to win any war against them.
    Poseidon likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayman_shen View Post
    I'd say legalize them if we didn't have a welfare state. But since our taxes and premiums already go to paying for the consequences of other people's moronic choices, I'm not sure. So yes, legalize drugs, but only in a broader context where other govt programs are shutdown so we're not picking up the check when addicts get horribly ill, or can't work. That's the price of real freedom: Eventually we're going to have to allow self-destructive people to self-destruct, and not feel responsible for helping. A generation of people dying on the streets and 90% of the world's screw ups would realize they need to get their crap together because there isn't a damn safety net anymore that allows them to be children their whole lives.

Man, I'm usually a bit lefty. Must be grumpy.
    Your about where I've come to.

I say legalize it all. If your on a guberment handout, you should be drug tested and loose your check if you can't pass a drug test. Your right, we are going to have to let self-destructive people self-destruct. I've had many a friends get strung out on drugs, even got pretty close myself. But most of us got out of it, grew up and got clean. Plus studies have shown if you really want to get rid of drugs, you provide clinic/rehab places to help people get + stay off drugs (which, BTW would be WAY CHEAPER than this current, LOOSING war on drugs).

My biggest argument on drugs being illeagal is - everyone I know, have known and probably ever will know that wants to take/use illeagal drugs - DOES!! Not one have been stopped just because they're illeagal. And most everybody I know that doesn't take/use drugs doesn't, becuase they don't want to! not because they are illeagal.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I too have had doubts of the War on Drugs. The problem is really not the drugs themselves, they don't just leap out and get people addicted, they must be injested by those who have the curiosity to try them.

It really doesn't matter if they legalize them or not, the problem lies with the attitude towards them. I have asked the question of why does anyone want to try Meth, or Crack or Heroin, or Oxycondone and then live the rest of your life chasing after them. I think that is the real answer, try to keep people from doing the stuff in the first place. If there are fewer customers then the "unlicensed drug reps" will not have much to do.

Apparenly there is an attraction to look like you are half dead and thirty years older than you really are that is lost upon me. I know that I could have but made the decision to stay away from that stuff. I really don't think that making it legal will lessen the usage.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I'd like them legal in order to ruin the market incentive to deal them.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I think we should use our terminology wisely! "Legalization" denotes recreational use with no strings attached. I think the Feds should "decriminalize" and let the states dictate the rest of the equation! I'm more in favor of decriminalization as we can clean out the prisons and make room for the dangerous criminals. It boggles my mind that we will incarcerate pot-heads for approximately the same amount of time as murderers and rapists!?!?!?!? Decriminalizing allows states to decide for themselves. Personally, I think states like Colorado (oh the irony) and Washington will end up with significant problems with harder drugs. Yeah sure legal pot can generate an incredible amount of revenue, but at what cost? Will it compensate for the cost of handing out clean needles in the park to hoards of junkies in 20 years? That's where Amsterdam is right now!

I think we have an outrageous LEGAL drug culture, with frivolous pill ads on every other commercial. So picket fence housewives can pop 19 pills a day for their nonsense ailments, while some dude chilling out with a j is a criminal? What a crock. Didn't work with booze, isn't working with other drugs.

I object to government testing as a condition of welfare etc because I don't like the govt deciding what to ban. As with guns, punish the consequences, such as driving or beating your kid. Don't ban the object. That heroin didn't shoot itself...and if someone goes to a quiet place and isn't abandoning their kids or whatever, and they nod off all day...who cares.

For the record, I can't stand druggies. I'm not in favor of substance abuse at all. I just object to the government deciding what I can do to my body. Starts with cocaine, next it's big gulp Cokes...

Distinguished Member
    There is a book called the pursuit of intoxication. This book covers from the first written records up to the present and mankind has smoked drank eaten anything that would give him a high or religious experience. We are not going to change that.

We embarked on a war on drugs 50 years ago and we have ruined many lives by putting a young person in prison at age 18 and converted them to professional criminals.

I have never heard a druggie talk about he can't get his drugs because of the police actions we have endorsed. Drugs in our jails are as plentiful as it is on our streets.

I don't know what is the right answer decriminalize or legalize? I don't know if we need methadone centers but with the new obama medical plan there should be plenty of free medical interdiction for druggies.

If you can't win a war within five to ten years I do not believe you can win it. We have fought the drug war for 50 years with nothing to show for it but full prisons and a long list of new kids standing in line to take the place of the one we just put in prison.

Legalize it tax it and move on to cancer treatment and move the LEOS to other crimes that we stand a chance of winning.

Respectfully,
    Bill

I have always been against legalizing it, but lately I have been taking a new attitude for it. Alcohol is legal, and yet how many drunks and alcoholics do we have? How many of them get behind the car and drive?

Why should we ban one thing, when other drugs are out there that do the same thing (alcohol)? So my new thinking is if we legalize it, don't just say "yupe it is legal, everyone have at it" rather turn it into a revenue creating source, treat it, like they do alcohol and/or cigarettes. This way tax revenue can be gained, ID's can be checked, licensed commercial retailers (pharmacies, grocery stores etc) can sell it, and its production and processing can be done by reputable manufactures.

I am still not convinced, but its the devils on either of my shoulders talking into my ear. If they were angels they would telling me a perfect solution, and I don't see one.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Require background checks for everyone who wishes to buy legalized drugs. Limit purchases to seven-day dosages and no more than one purchase per month. Require all users to attend drug addiction awareness safety training. Require a Sheriffs Dept.-issued permit to purchase drugs. Require drug users to carry liability insurance.

Fair's fair, right?
    CanuckQue likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

War against drugs: an oxymoron. Alcohol and gambling have ruined as many lives as illicit drug use. Anyone who thinks that drugs like marijuana should be illegal but thinks that alcohol is OK is a hypocrit and really needs to do some critical thinking about why they see a difference. As far as a gateway drug....bull, it is as much of a gateway drug as is alcohol is to marijuana.

We suppose to publish folks for thier actions, not for what could happen. Yeah, you get addicted to any substance you are a danger. I wish folks would get off thier high horses and just grow up about the issue. Fine, be against drugs and I will respect that opinion as long as you include alcohol.

I was part of the war on drugs and it is the biggest joke. A total waste of money and resources. We are a free society and have free will. You commit a crime on drugs or not then you go to jail. Really simple concept.

The best way to stop or promote a behaviour is by changing the perception of an action by society. Smoking was one the in thing to do. Not so much anymore. Driving while drunk almost seemed to be a right of passage long ago and was not treated as a serious crime like it is today.

Legalize drugs, hit the airwaves with public service announcements (ala anti smoking and anti drunk driving) and the results may not be as bad as some folks think.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links