Taxed Twice on Vehicle

This is a discussion on Taxed Twice on Vehicle within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mods, I'm not sure if this is the right place - please move or delete if necessary. Here is the situation: Friend A won a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Crowman
  • 1 Post By 91wm6

Thread: Taxed Twice on Vehicle

Taxed Twice on Vehicle

Mods, I'm not sure if this is the right place - please move or delete if necessary.

Here is the situation: Friend A won a car on the TV game show The Price Is Right. It is a 2013 Honda Accord valued at ~$25,000. Friend A wants to sell it to Friend B for $20,000. Friend A paid the sales tax when he picked up the car at the delearship and he now owns the vehicle with the pink slip in hand. Now that Friend B is about to buy the vehicle, the bank wants the bill of sale and CA DMV records of the sale to complete the loan. This means that Friend B will have to pay taxes again for the same vehicle that's not even a few weeks old. Is there any exemption that anyone is aware of to avoid paying taxes twice? Thanks!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

2. Remove Ads

Its called the tax man always gets ya......
    thephanatik likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

The vehicle is being sold/purchased twice. Uncle Sam wants his cut of both sales, pretty simple...
    atctimmy likes this.

Pretty much the way it works around here. When you make a purchase you pay sales tax. If friend "B" sells the vehicle to someone else, they too will pay sales tax. Etc etc.

Not only that but regardless of the sales price you can count on the state taxing the auto for the blue book value. That's how it's done in WA state now. The only way to beat the sales tax is to gift it to someone.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I don't think there's a way to get around it without it being considered tax fraud.

Well now you got me worrying about another potentially bad outcome of universal background checks.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    I don't think there's a way to get around it without it being considered tax fraud.

Well now you got me worrying about another potentially bad outcome of universal background checks.
    Well...clue us all in for Heavens sake!
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Well...clue us all in for Heavens sake!
    Putting in place a background check system/gun registration so they can start taxing private sales of guns. The anti-gunners keep comparing it to registering a car.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Thanks for everyone's input. That's what I thought - taxing us to no end! thephanatik, you bring up a good (scary, but good) point. Hopefully it will never come to that.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

VIP Member
    In addition to the sales taxes, Friend A will have to pay state, federal and possibly local income tax on the value of the car.

Friend B will only have to pay sales taxes on the price he pays.

You don't have to like it, but you do have to pay it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    In addition to the sales taxes, Friend A will have to pay state, federal and possibly local income tax on the value of the car.

Friend B will only have to pay sales taxes on the price he pays.

You don't have to like it, but you do have to pay it.
    Here in Nevada, on a used vehicle there is no sales tax! I don't know if Texas has sales tax on used vehicles?

I'm surprised Friend A didn't get a 1099 for the $25 K?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    I'm surprised Friend A didn't get a 1099 for the $25 K?
    He will and he should include the value of the vehicle in his taxable income for the year in which he won the car. I believe there is a way to lower the taxable value to what he sold the car for though if he sold it within the allowed time frame.

Links