research paper on the Klan, fun fact

This is a discussion on research paper on the Klan, fun fact within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So for one of my sociology classes I had to have a participatory social movement organization and a professional social movement organization (I went with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: research paper on the Klan, fun fact

research paper on the Klan, fun fact

So for one of my sociology classes I had to have a participatory social movement organization and a professional social movement organization (I went with the NRA for professional smo) for a presentation I'm doing. So I typically strive to do my work based off of deviant or unpopular areas. A whole class presenting the same material gets a little boring. So I went with the Ku Klux Klan, and imagine my surprise to find out they began (during their most violent days) with democratic interests and support.

I just found it interesting that the KKK is tied to the liberals and thought I'd share it with you all.

2. Remove Ads

Yes I also discovered that. It was very enlightening, equally so to discover that they were very big in the midwest especially Indiana and Ohio. I had always believed the klan to be more of a deep south organization.

I always just figured they were a bunch of Redneck crackers.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Keep in mind that politics and political parties back then were way different than they are now days.......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Must not forget a very famous Klansman, WVs own favorite KKK Byrd.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I remember reading once that back in the 20s the KKK was the largest social organization in the US. It was a family oriented organization too, they would have things like cookouts and summer camp (Kamp?) for kids. The cross burning stuff was men only though, in a very disturbing twist, I saw a show on the History Channel about them and they showed a modern cross burning and this one guy had his infant son dressed in a baby klan robe...sick.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    So for one of my sociology classes I had to have a participatory social movement organization and a professional social movement organization (I went with the NRA for professional smo) for a presentation I'm doing. So I typically strive to do my work based off of deviant or unpopular areas. A whole class presenting the same material gets a little boring. So I went with the Ku Klux Klan, and imagine my surprise to find out they began (during their most violent days) with democratic interests and support.

I just found it interesting that the KKK is tied to the liberals and thought I'd share it with you all.
    The nature of each political party was very different back then.
    It's like saying that the Crusades are tied to the Catholics. Yes, it's true. But the modern organisation has changed a great deal from that time.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

VIP Member
    The Klan had a huge resurgence in the early 1900's, even in some of the northern states. The local headquarters, complete with neon sign, was located where the current newspaper office sits. Members distributed business cards with the lyrics to the Old Rugged Cross on one side and a klansman on horseback holding a torch on the back. Its decline occurred fairly abruptly.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I always just figured they were a bunch of Redneck crackers.
    I take offense to that. I am proud to be a Redneck cracker. But KKK? No, I am Jewish and they REALLY don't like my kind.

That's why I am armed. Remember WWII? Always armed, never tell.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

The Ku Klux Klan sprang out of the fear after the Civil War that the U.S. Government would come in and make it really rough for the Southern States. They also had a fear that freed Slaves would take retribution for the years of bondage. Probably at that time a very real fear. We know now that was not going to happen, but there was much concern about it.

It was fueled by rumours and that Black men would want to attack and ravage white women. That they, (Black people) would eventually become the Masters of whites and take revenge. Not true but we all know how somethings get when people fear the unknown.

Nathan Bedford Forrest was a former Confederate soldier and he was the one who was instrumental in getting the Klan put together. It began as a sort of "neighbourhood watch" group that would keep the whites safe from any attacks but morphed into the hate group we know today.

Even though it was associated with political parties in the past, a lot of that has changed as well. The are just a hate group now.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member
    It's true that political parties have changed over the years, but in the more recent past, the Politicians who fought vehemently against the Civil Rights movement were Democrats.

Robert C. Byrd
    George Wallace
    Lestor Maddox
    Al Gore Sr.
    Lyndon Johnson (who often used the "N" word in the White House)

These are the names I can think of right off the top of my head, there are many more. Johnson signed the desegregation order because he had no other choice. Politically, he had to.

The Left has rewritten history and now people believe it was the Republicans who were racist. The media is powerful. Say something often enough and eventually, it becomes the "truth". Scary.
    NONAME762, bseal and nechaev like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    It's true that political parties have changed over the years, but in the more recent past, the Politicians who fought vehemently against the Civil Rights movement were Democrats.

Robert C. Byrd
    George Wallace
    Lestor Maddox
    Al Gore Sr.
    Lyndon Johnson (who often used the "N" word in the White House)

These are the names I can think of right off the top of my head, there are many more. Johnson signed the desegregation order because he had no other choice. Politically, he had to.

The Left has rewritten history and now people believe it was the Republicans who were racist. The media is powerful. Say something often enough and eventually, it becomes the "truth". Scary.
    Landslide Lyndon used the language of his time, but to characterize him as a politician who fought vehemently against the civil rights movement is simply incorrect.
    Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Civil Rights Act of 1866 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Maybe you confused Lyndon with Andrew.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Landslide Lyndon used the language of his time, but to characterize him as a politician who fought vehemently against the civil rights movement is simply incorrect.
    Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Civil Rights Act of 1866 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Maybe you confused Lyndon with Andrew.
    People may have used that term more in the past, but it was still hateful and he knew it.

"I'll have those (insert the "N" word) voting Democratic for the next 200 years."

-- Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One according Ronald Kessler's Book, "Inside The White House"

Lyndon Johnson was known for saying things like that repeatedly.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    I've seen quite a few KKK rallies, having lived for many years in Pulaski, the town that it originated. They still exercise their rights and get their permit to march every year. The town ignores them, because to give them attention gives them strength, and then more of them show up. I remember the first march they had in decades; they made a big deal of it and it ended up in the press, and factions came from all over the U.S, also attracting skinheads. It embarrassed the whole town, so one year everybody closed shop, and that inadvertently gave them even more press attention. So now they go about their day like there's nothing going on.

A lot of them don't wear the white bedsheets anymore; opting for more of a paramilitary khaki shirt/black pants look. But it really cuts to the core seeing a little baby dressed up in the while garb and pointy hat.

There is the most awful statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest on I65 south of Nashville. It's painted gold and silver and looks like a cheap oversized yard ornament with a disproportionally large head.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Sure each side may be different today, but like Anthony Weiner they can't hide what they did in the past. Yes they had a very high membership count at one time. I think it was 3-6 million actually. I think I read somewhere they were even in Canada at one point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links