Securing a Marathon

This is a discussion on Securing a Marathon within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This does not fit into any of the other sections of this forum, but it is related to several. In light of yesterday's events, this ...

Thread: Securing a Marathon

VIP Member

Securing a Marathon

This does not fit into any of the other sections of this forum, but it is related to several. In light of yesterday's events, this is a relevant topic.

You are responsible for running security for a marathon. The venue is essentially a 26.2 mile track with more area at the start and finish lines plus vendor sponsor tents, etc. In addition to guns and bombs, don't forget biological, chemical weapons and possibly tactical nukes. How would you secure your venue?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

You do the best you can in a free society. Other than that my response would take about 5 pages. Trouble is with repsonding I would have to figure out ways for BG's to exploit what is in place now and I don't want to give anyone any stupid ideas.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

There is basically a large crowd throughout the whole 26.2 miles, it is honestly impossible and any discussion on the news about plans to do so is purely for maintaining the public from panicking and never attending a public event again. There is a way to counter every measure that can be put in place. Even a cordoned off 26.2 mile area with armed military persons standing shoulder to shoulder isn't going to stop someone from coming up with a plan to do something. Things that come to mind are suicide bombers, going through the city sewage system and placing bombs underground. Plenty of high rise buildings to take a shot from also.

Only thing that really can be done is to be prepared to act when something does happen.

What would the Israelis have done for security? They have lived with these kinds of threats for years.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by commonground View Post
    What would the Israelis have done for security? They have lived with these kinds of threats for years.
    Do they run marathons? I don't know, but cannot remember ever seeing one in Israel. That would be a security nightmare.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The problem is that you can't in a free society. If people want to do evil, they will find a way in a country that values freedoms. I heard a couple of interviews yesterday from people that were there and they said there was lots of security. But when you have 500,000 spectators and 30,000 runners it is very hard to have any real security.

...and they've also died for years as well unfortunately. You really can't stop someone so intent on killing others that they're willing to die doing it. As has already been said...not even if we had armed soldiers standing shoulder to shoulder the entire length. There are probably plenty of options to help alleviate/mitigate issues, but nothing is foolproof short of cancelling the event and forcibly locking everyone in their homes.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Do they run marathons? I don't know, but cannot remember ever seeing one in Israel. That would be a security nightmare.
    Yes, they have marathons:
    Jerusalem Marathon 2014
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    I agree with all the posts...you really can't secure a marathon unless you ban spectators from the area.

It starts with securing our borders and paying attention to who is gaining access to our country. Even at that, you still have "home grown" terrorism. So, who knows.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I agree with all the posts...you really can't secure a marathon unless you ban spectators from the area.

It starts with securing our borders and paying attention to who is gaining access to our country. Even at that, you still have "home grown" terrorism. So, who knows.
    That wont work either. You'd have to ban the runners as well(who says the runners can't be in on it?) and then there's no marathon. Not to mention you'd need to cordon off and sweep the entire stretch and all buildings attached daily for weeks prior at least.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Odds of a person in the US being killed by a terrorist attack (less than 4K since 2001, including 9/11) are less than 1% that of being killed in a traffic accident (~420K in same period).

So how do I reduce the chance of death at any large event? Encourage participants to wear seatbelts to/from and not to drink and drive.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And not entirely successful either, I might add.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Could ask the British police too.

For a while when I was a kid there were reports of IRA bombs going off or being found every other week.

Links