Aren't you glad you don't live in Maryland? (ironically called "The Free State"

This is a discussion on Aren't you glad you don't live in Maryland? (ironically called "The Free State" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As if gun bans aren't enough, now they're going to tax RAIN! Here?s What?s Included in Maryland?s Controversial ?Rain Tax? (It?s Exactly What It Sounds ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Aren't you glad you don't live in Maryland? (ironically called "The Free State"

VIP Member

As if gun bans aren't enough, now they're going to tax RAIN!

Here?s What?s Included in Maryland?s Controversial ?Rain Tax? (It?s Exactly What It Sounds Like)

Marylanders... run for your lives!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I work at a university which is getting ready to do the exact same thing. Starting in July, departments will be charged per unit area of impervious surface area, a storm water fee.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I work at a university which is getting ready to do the exact same thing. Starting in July, departments will be charged per unit area of impervious surface area, a storm water fee.
    You're kidding. The infection is spreading.

Is this something the university is doing on it's own or is the city/state in on it?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Here's what I find interesting;

The state is levying this tax to pay for the 14.8 billion dollar fine that the Obama administration slapped them with back in 2010 for having the audacity to allow their rain water to drain into the Chesapeake bay.

Yet, Maryland still voted for Obama in the recent election by a 26.1% margin. I'd say that they like having the fool taxed out of them!

No sympathy here.
    84160 and phreddy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I haven't looked at the video yet JL but from Noway2 said I think I get it. We've had the same tax in my town about 3 years now. It was added to my sewer/garbage/recycling bill. The city found another way to screw me. Based on the water coming thru my PUD meter. This tax varies month to month I think. The storm water fee is $6.10+tax. (Regular sales tax.)
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Here's what I find interesting;

The state is levying this tax to pay for the 14.8 billion dollar fine that the Obama administration slapped them with back in 2010 for having the audacity to allow their rain water to drain into the Chesapeake bay.

Yet, Maryland still voted for Obama in the recent election by a 26.1% margin. I'd say that they like having the fool taxed out of them!

No sympathy here.
    Maryland has the same problem that many states have...the big population centers control the whole state with it's vote. In this case it's Baltimore and Montgomery County (large pop, very Liberal). The voters of Baltimore don't give a hoot about the Chesapeake water issue, all they know is that they're getting "free stuff" and it's the Dems who are making sure that continues. So, that's how they've gotten where they are today. Gov. O'Malley is so Liberal that he makes Obama look right wing.

Eastern and Western Maryland just have to sit there, take it, and oh yeah...pay up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I haven't looked at the video yet JL but from Noway2 said I think I get it. We've had the same tax in my town about 3 years now. It was added to my sewer/garbage/recycling bill. The city found another way to screw me. Based on the water coming thru my PUD meter. This tax varies month to month I think. The storm water fee is $6.10+tax. (Regular sales tax.)
    I never knew that...I though this was something MD had thought up. I'm getting an ed-u-macation today!

Thank God I live in WV. Our Sentaor (Joe Manchin) might want to ruin your lives but so far he's been stopped by the state legislature from ruining ours.

VIP Member
    If the state can somehow claim domain over the rain that isn't seeping into the ground I think those homeowners should send bills to the state every time 'their' rain occupies the homeowner's roof or pavement. I think invoices for car washing every time 'their' rain gets the homeowner's automobile dirty would be a good idea as well!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Eastern and Western Maryland just has to sit there, take it, and oh yeah...pay up.
    Or move out.

I know, it's sad. I have a friend that lives up there that I've been trying to convince for years to moved down here (he'd make for a great business partner). But seriously, if South Carolina goes liberal tomorrow and starts throwing out stupid stuff like this, I'll pack up and leave. People need to vote with their feet.

VIP Member
    Pretty soon there won't be anywhere left to move to.
    84160 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Guess what, it is already being tried here in Charlottesville. They plan on taxing based on the square footage of your roof. They don't call it a tax, they call it a fee for rain run off. They claim it will add less than $10 a year but how much will it be later on. When will there be a fee on the air we breathe? They can call it a carbon dioxide production fee.

VIP Member
    C'Ville is doing that?! Nooooo, say it's not true!`

Remember "The Taxman" by the Beatles? Turns out they were right:

Let me tell you how it will be
    There's one for you, nineteen for me
    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
    Be thankful I don't take it all
    'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
    If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
    If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
    If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Just how will Obama fine someone or Maryland tax someone for rain that falls directly into the Bay I wonder. Pay some federal hacks to sit about 30 feet apart and count the splashes on the surface per minute??
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I hate to say much but>>>>>>>> Storm water runoff is a big problem for highly populated areas, it washes all kinds of dangerous chemicals into the water supply and into the ecosystem. It effects quality of life for everyone. When we were all agriculture oriented and not as paved more of the water sank in. We did not use the synthetic chemicals for our crops, our laundry, etc. They can cause all kinds of problems, the nitrates and phosphates increase algae which can deplete the oxygen level in the water and cause fish kills and other problems. Rain tax or Storm water management tax call it what you want, is trying to solve problems caused by packing humanity closer and closer together. Ok I will get off the soap box and probably be flamed terribly for my post, but excess runoff causes all kinds of problems.

Nothing new. Houston passed a rain tax a couple of years ago. Sad part is that it was voted for by the residents. I'm glad I don't live in Houston.

Is the New Houston Rain Tax About to Drown You - Some voters feel duped already | Texas GOP Vote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links