Help me fix my website......

This is a discussion on Help me fix my website...... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you take a look at the site: Ranger Gunleather . Come up with some constructive comments to improve the experience and information presented. Here ...

If you take a look at the site:Ranger Gunleather.

Come up with some constructive comments to improve the experience and information presented.

Here is my biggest issue so far:

1. I know I need a new digital camera (mine is old and sucks).
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Nice site,

But I've never been crazy about the fade-in websites...I like it to snap up there!
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

I am trying to make it user friendly so the page transitions are now removed, thanks.

Obviously I am not a web designer
    Last edited by Greg Dunn; November 10th, 2006 at 06:41 PM.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Some of the photos look a bit grainy. Makes it hard to see the quality of the leather and boning.
    Either that, or time for an my eye check-up.
    What Would Gumby Do?

yep grainy pics, not your eyes
    Ranger Gunleather

Administrator

Thumbs up Ditto

Your photographs are your weak link. You already know that.
    People want to see what they are ordering.

One thing that I always liked was seeing holsters "On Body" (especially concealment rigs) so you might want to ask your buyers if they can send you a digital photo of your rig being worn by them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I will rectify the pic issue this weekend, I have been shopping for a new camera and found what I need.

I like on body shots as well, so each holster should have a thumbnailed "in use" shot as well.
    Ranger Gunleather

besides the camera, and its built in flash. You could get a portable work light (the type with clamps at homedepot) and use it in your photographs as indirect lighting. That might help your camera problem. If not ... use it with your new camera.
    ---
    BTW....nice product ya' got there !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Greg,

Loose the frames they are terrible for search engines to find and many times a user will show up at your framed page and not have a menu. If you really want to keep them, add a link to the menu and something like "Click here if you do not see a menu to the left" at the bottom of each page.

There are fancy ways of making the framed page reload into a frame also but it's a little more sophisticated.

You are going to want to scramble your MAILTO: link also or you will start getting tons of SPAM. There are a couple of ways to do this. Do a google search MAILTO: scramble

or checkout this site http://www.golivecentral.com/pages/scramble.shtml

Colors look nice, simple is KING!

What are you using to make it with?

You could maybe make a banner type header like the one CC has on this site. I also agree to get rid of the frames as well. You could put those links right under your header (either picture links or like you have them now) horizontally. Or just get rid of the frames and leave them where they are at now in the upper left, either way will look fine. Maybe the 2nd idea since you have links on the tops of some of your pages already. The best way to get ideas for layout is to just look at other websites, they don't even have to be about guns or leather products, just search around then remember or write down some ideas and then go at it.

I have made a few websites, so if you need any help with anything just PM me.

It is done with MS Frontpage which I know a lot of web designers hate, but I don't need to get fancy with it so it works.

So lose the frames so the search engines can index it better.
    Ranger Gunleather

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    One thing that I always liked was seeing holsters "On Body" (especially concealment rigs) so you might want to ask your buyers if they can send you a digital photo of your rig being worn by them.
    I agree 100%, especially if they are attractive female customers. That always gets my attention!

There's just something about seeing a nice looking woman carrying a gun that makes me want to buy a new holster.

Seriously though, I do like to see holsters being worn. It's better advertising IMO.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Assistant Administrator
    Many good suggestions Greg - but for sure yes - no frames! I gave up using them long ago.

Good pics are essential if possible - and not too huge physically or in file size either. Quite useful sometimes to have good size thumbs and lead those to larger pic - which can be in a new window if desired.

Front Page? YUK!! It works but ......... if you check the code it writes there will be plenty of garbage included - at least that was case long ago when I gave up using it.

Some aspects I consider important - even with many folks on fast connections ......

1) - make total page ''burden'' reasonable so page comes down fast.

2) - try to maintain site-wide consistency of ''feel'' - a recognizable identity so folks still aware they are on same site.

3) - make navigation an intuitive hierarchy.

These things all go to making a site ''sticky'' - and thus folks will stay and browse longer. For most part, script gimmicks and Flash will detract.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

PS. Use www.netmechanic.com to check your pages.

You forgot..

HK USP. full size on your site.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links