A Fertilizer Plant Just Exploded Near Waco, Texas

This is a discussion on A Fertilizer Plant Just Exploded Near Waco, Texas within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...#disqus_thread Once again, little is known about the incident. A hazmat team and firefighters had been dispatched to the fertilizer plant after reports of a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A Fertilizer Plant Just Exploded Near Waco, Texas

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...#disqus_thread

Once again, little is known about the incident. A hazmat team and firefighters had been dispatched to the fertilizer plant after reports of a fire. Apparently the explosion occurred after they arrived, and several firefighters were injured. "There's nothing I can tell you other than that we've had an explosion," the West, Texas Fire Department told the press. "There are injuries, casualties, it's terrible." The CEO of the local Hillcrest Hospital said that they anticipate about 100 injured people.

Pretty gnarly looking smoke cloud and the blast was felt 100 miles away in Dallas.

Updates say they are treating injured on a local football field. Also a nursing home collapsed and there are believed to be people trapped. A guy said he was blown against his car and many houses within 4-6 blocks are blown apart. I'm watching a live feed and the reporter says the hospitals are swamped and an hospital official says he couldn't say much other than "it's bad."

I'm thinking this is just an industrial accident.. but many are already talking about this week being the 20th anniversary of the siege at Waco.

There is an unbelievable line of emergency vehicles right now. Even the news chopper can't get them all in frame.

VIP Member
    Just say that on tonight’s news, I hope there are not any casualties. With all the chemicals in a fertilizer plant I am going with industrial accident also. I hope that smoke cloud stays high like they’re showing. When I was stationed at Altus we had a farm supply store (much smaller scale) catch fire and due to the fertilizer once firefighters determined everyone was safe they just let it burn out. Command Post did put out a message on guard to all airborne aircraft not to get anywhere near the smoke from the fire.
    wishyouwell likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Just say that on tonight’s news, I hope there are not any casualties. With all the chemicals in a fertilizer plant I am going with industrial accident also. I hope that smoke cloud stays high like they’re showing. When I was stationed at Altus we had a farm supply store (much smaller scale) catch fire and due to the fertilizer once firefighters determined everyone was safe they just let it burn out. Command Post did put out a message on guard to all airborne aircraft not to get anywhere near the smoke from the fire.

They just ordered the news choppers out of the airspace due to fear of a second blast... Just saw an actual video of the blast. Looks like it was filmed with a phone from 20 years ago but you could def tell the enormity of the blast.

200 injured. 40 critical. 75+ homes and businesses damaged is what they just said.

VIP Member
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Wow check out this video. How are these people even alive. I hope the little girl is ok. I'm thinking their eardrums would have to be severely damaged at a minimum: CAUGHT ON CAMERA- Fertilizer Plant Explosion, West, Texas - YouTube

I'm watching coverage live right now, it is a catastrophe. Evidently it started as a fire at the plant and then at least one explosion. Unconfirmed reports are 60-70 killed and several hundred injured in various ways. I have a view of the Dallas skyline facing south from my condo and have seen several medevac helos coming into Parkland (trauma & burn center) from the south.

Stepping away from the news update...Waco, April 19th, the 20th anniversary, what happened on Monday...I'm not going to state an opinion, just make a note...

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I'm watching coverage live right now, it is a catastrophe. Evidently it started as a fire at the plant and then at least one explosion. Unconfirmed reports are 60-70 killed and several hundred injured in various ways. I have a view of the Dallas skyline facing south from my condo and have seen several medevac helos coming into Parkland (trauma & burn center) from the south.

Stepping away from the news update...Waco, April 19th, the 20th anniversary, what happened on Monday...I'm not going to state an opinion, just make a note...
    Yeah i alluded to that in a previous post but i gotta go with accident at this point.

Did you see that video i just posted? That's like being right next to piles of 10k lb bombs all going off at once. I think just being able to drive away from that is a blessing.

EDIT

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    Wow check out this video. How are these people even alive. I hope the little girl is ok. I'm thinking their eardrums would have to be severely damaged at a minimum: CAUGHT ON CAMERA- Fertilizer Plant Explosion, West, Texas - YouTube
    Reminds me of this:

wishyouwell and MJB_17 like this.

VIP Member
    Why anyone would stick around a burning fertilizer plant to film it is beyond me - even at a distance. Chemical plants have, in the past, produced titanic explosions. Hopefully the child does not suffer permanment hearing damage.
    wishyouwell likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by RightyLefty View Post
    Reminds me of this:

Holy Moly! i guess the cigarette going out in a puddle of gasoline theory didn't work in this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Why anyone would stick around a burning fertilizer plant to film it is beyond me - even at a distance. Chemical plants have, in the past, produced titanic explosions. Hopefully the child does not suffer permanment hearing damage.
    Definitely not the brightest idea ever. Right before it explodes he says, "it should start to collapse." Yeah, it collapsed, alright.

VIP Member
    This is not good. I'm watching a response coordinator on Fox and he looks pretty shaken. Prayers for those people.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Pepcon came to mind too, the main product they made was aluminium perchlorate, which is the primary ingredient in the solid rocket boosters for the space shuttle. After the Challenger tragedy, the shuttle program was grounded almost 3 years. NASA kept buying the chemical but had them store it, that is what exploded in that video.

Just saw a press conference from a DPS spokesman, no numbers on casualties but he mentioned that the explosion was caused by tanks of anhydrous ammonia.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post

Just saw a press conference from a DPS spokesman, no numbers on casualties but he mentioned that the explosion was caused by tanks of anhydrous ammonia.

It goes without saying, but extremely dangerous stuff.

I have a cousin who used it making a certain popular stimulant. Family members would find him passed out in the woods etc. he nearly died more than once from the fumes/explosions.

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    It goes without saying, but extremely dangerous stuff.

I have a cousin who used it making a certain popular stimulant. Family members would find him passed out in the woods etc. he nearly died more than once from the fumes/explosions.
    I wasn't going to mention meth but since you brought it up, I wonder if it is possible that the fire could have been caused by tweakers looking to "borrow" some to do a cook? Meth is a big problem in rural TX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links