And now it is time to play "Ask the Experts!"

This is a discussion on And now it is time to play "Ask the Experts!" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This week I was given a Winchester model 94 30.30 that was not well cared for. The guy bought it in 1976 along with one ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By TruckerJoe
  • 1 Post By Hoplyte

Thread: And now it is time to play "Ask the Experts!"

And now it is time to play "Ask the Experts!"

This week I was given a Winchester model 94 30.30 that was not well cared for. The guy bought it in 1976 along with one box of shells. When he gave it to me the first and only box of ammo he bought still had 20 rounds in it! The trouble is the last time he cared for or cleaned the gun was in 1976! During most of the years since ’76 the rifle was in a non-climate controlled storage room at his apartment. As you can see by the pictures there is quite a bit of rust. I want to get rid of the rust and redo the bluing. According to the guy that gave this to me it has never been fired. What advice can you give me on how to proceed? I purchased a Deluxe Perma Blue® Liquid Gun Blue & Tru-Oil® Gun Stock Finish Kit, but I am taking this slow and want advice. I have never had a gun in this bad of condition. I take care of my firearms. Any advice is greatly appreciated (except for any advice that calls for me to send it to you, that is lol)
    120_1_1.jpg121_2_1.jpg122_3_1.jpg123_4_1.jpg127_8_1.jpg124_5_1.jpg

2. Remove Ads

If the ammo had 20 rounds left he or someone most likely did fire it.....

As far as restoring it you might want to consider having it done professionally...
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

[QUOTE=Crowman;2712541]If the ammo had 20 rounds left he or someone most likely did fire it.....QUOTE]

The 20 round box still has 20 rounds in it.

Cool

Welcome to the Forums here Joe. Truckers Keep America STRONG. Without all the CDL drivers driving freight from here to there and back again America would dry up and blow away. Especially with JIT...Just In Time deliveries made to most businesses.

I think you need to ask yourself a couple major questions first. It's 36 years old and never been fired. Were it in better condition it would be worth a nice chunk of change IMO.

I am not a firearms expert nor do I play one on TV. If it were an old truck or WWII tank I'd get it sand blasted. Then start what's referred to as a 'frame off restoration.

TBT I wouldn't have the faintest idea as to how to begin. But I think you're in the right place...the asking questions place. There's plenty of folks here who do have the answers you seek. Seek them out Grasshopper...

Another question is can you afford to shell out perhaps hundreds of dollars for the repairs that will be needed? If you can refinish or have it refinished do you plan to keep it? Shoot it?

I've read a few times that older guns that have been refinished lost much of their value to collectors due to the refinshing. Something to think about.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd have it professionally refinished.
    oldman45 and NONAME762 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    With the amount of cleaning and polishing that is going to need I recommend professional finishing as well, but be advised a lot of the rust will leave pitting that cannot be polished out.
    oldman45 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It's barely collectable in 95% condition, your's is ~55%. Don't worry about a "restoration" but have the metal cleaned-up & refinished durably into "shooting" shape. Ignore the stock, it's fine. Then enjoy a accurate, reliable rifle that you'll never cry over with a scratch or ding. IMHO, make it slick, make it functional, stop the rust & then TRY TO WEAR IT OUT!
    NONAME762 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'm not a gun restoration expert by any means, but when I need to clean up rust off something, I typically use a wire wheel and steel wool.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Well I have done my best! I discovered I am not really very good at re-bluing but the wood came out nice! When I tore the gun down to all parts removed I found no trace of burnt powder or any sign of old fouling so I tend to believe that it has never been fired, I will change that just as soon as I can. I did pull the bullet from one of the old rounds he gave me, drained the powder and just fired the primer to make sure that I have everything back together right. I think I am going to like this gun! I think I will let you guess which is before and which is after!

121_2_1.jpg122_3_1.jpg123_4_1.jpgIMG_4199_1_1.jpgIMG_4200_2_1.jpgIMG_4201_3_1.jpg
    NONAME762 likes this.

For restoration and to ensure safe function, get thee to a gunsmith with a good reputation in the community, post haste.
    NONAME762 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerJoe View Post
    Well I have done my best! I discovered I am not really very good at re-bluing but the wood came out nice! When I tore the gun down to all parts removed I found no trace of burnt powder or any sign of old fouling so I tend to believe that it has never been fired, I will change that just as soon as I can. I did pull the bullet from one of the old rounds he gave me, drained the powder and just fired the primer to make sure that I have everything back together right. I think I am going to like this gun! I think I will let you guess which is before and which is after!

121_2_1.jpg122_3_1.jpg123_4_1.jpgIMG_4199_1_1.jpgIMG_4200_2_1.jpgIMG_4201_3_1.jpg
    Pics 4-6 are a substantial improvement.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Pics 4-6 are a substantial improvement.
    I would agree with that diagnosis....
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links