car help.

car help.

This is a discussion on car help. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 98 Chrysler concorde, engine light came on, checked the code and it stated I am missing cylinder 1. I bought new plugs and coil insulators. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car help.

car help.

98 Chrysler concorde, engine light came on, checked the code and it stated I am missing cylinder 1. I bought new plugs and coil insulators. When I went to change them the cylinder in question appears to have the threads on the block shot. The plug came right out with coil pack and insulator. Now I cannot thread in a new plug.

Options?
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

So the threads on engine block are shot? Depending on how bad, you might be able to use a thread chaser to fix them. Otherwise you will be having it re-threaded a little larger with an insert that is threaded to your spark plug size.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Ditto on the thread chaser. However, don't bother trying to find one at an auto parts store or Sears...look online.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    So the threads on engine block are shot? Depending on how bad, you might be able to use a thread chaser to fix them. Otherwise you will be having it re-threaded a little larger with an insert that is threaded to your spark plug size.
    Phanatik said it better than I could but that's what I was thinking too pretty much. Find/Locate a trusted ASE mechanic and ask him/her. Good luck Bro.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Yea it is going to have to be an insert. The threads are completely blown out.

Fausty try a heli-coil kit from the auto parts store. Probably run you about 40-50 dollars...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Fausty try a heli-coil kit from the auto parts store. Probably run you about 40-50 dollars...
    I'd call around and see how much a mechanic will do it for first. The heli-coils work alright, but if you can find someone that will put in a solid insert for just a little more, I'd opt for that.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    I'd call around and see how much a mechanic will do it for first. The heli-coils work alright, but if you can find someone that will put in a solid insert for just a little more, I'd opt for that.
    I have used the heli-coil kits before, they work well. With the plethora of information available on youtube, I am sure the OP could save about 200 dollars doing it himself.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Seems easy enough. Remember I was a welder/machinist by trade for 10 years before I decided to go back to school. My main worry is shavings in the cylinder.

Although it seems that most people say to load up the flutes of the tap with grease to catch the shavings.

Looks like this might work:

http://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5334-...lug+repair+kit

If you are comfortable doing it, it sounds like the Helicoil is the way to go for you. Greasing up the tap should catch most of it. I would also make sure the exhaust valve is open before you start. When you are done, you can vacuum out as much as you can with a small hose, then I'd use an air compressor to blow anything you may have missed out the exhaust.

Yep, autozone had them. Now for the next problem, turning down a 3/4" socket needed for the tap that doesn't fit down the tube for the coil insulator. Unfortunately I don't own a lathe. Just a drill and a hand file.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    '98 Concorde? Maybe it's time to consider its quality of life vs expense to repair.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Watcha mean man?? Cars only 15 years old?
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

The next car I buy is going to be pre-1970. no computers, no metric bolts, and no part I can't make in a machine shop if I can't buy it.

I'm into this project $65 with the kit, new plugs, and coil insulators. Way cheaper than pulling a head off one of the Concordes at the bone yard. Unfortunately I forgot high temp sealant so I won't be getting it done until tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    The next car I buy is going to be pre-1970. no computers, no metric bolts, and no part I can't make in a machine shop if I can't buy it.
    Why not a 1/2T truck with a straight 6? I drove a 59 Apache. Even with me as the owner that truck still held up.

It went thru ditches well too. In control.
    Last edited by NONAME762; April 21st, 2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Oops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links