Cooking With a Pressure Cooker?

This is a discussion on Cooking With a Pressure Cooker? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone here actually routinely use a pressure cooker to cook meals? To be honest, before the bombings I had no idea what the intended ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Cooking With a Pressure Cooker?

Does anyone here actually routinely use a pressure cooker to cook meals? To be honest, before the bombings I had no idea what the intended use of a pressure cooker was and still can't figure out the allure of using one. I'm pretty competent in the kitchen, but this is beyond me. It just seems unnecessarily dangerous and clean up intensive for mediocre results. I just can't see the appeal of having my dinner autoclaved.

Anyone?

Well I for one never heard of cooking with a Pressure Cooker. I have cooked a few meals with a Crock Pot Cooker. Could that be what you really meant?
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Been many years ago but a pressure cooker was essential to my grandmother for canning and they are still used today for the same purpose.

Here is a run down on how it's done. Home Pressure Canner Directions: How They Work, Instructions and Tips to Using Them!
    phreddy and BigJon10125 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

In my younger days I used to work at a restaurant, they used a pressure cooker for the meat, think it may have been pork. I also think that KFC uses presure cookers to cook their chicken. Most common thing I can think of a pressure cooker being used in the house for is canning.

It cuts way down on cooking Times for meat. Chicken falling off the bone in about 30 minutes. Or a London broil falling apart in about an hour. I still use mine occasionally. You just have to make sure its cool enough before opening

So I go to Wal-Mart to buy the wife a pressure cooker........ I check out and there waiting for me at the exit was.. 00.jpg

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

When cleaning out my grandmother's attic I can across a solid old pressure cooker that I ended up giving to her best friend. You would have thought she had won the lottery. It was another case of "they don't made 'em like that anymore". She had purchased a new one but found it to be not quite up to the standards of her old one. She had been keeping an eye out for a used one at the yard sales and flea markets but apparently others realized the value of the vintage models and none were to be found. Ninety nine years old and still canning. Gotta love that generation.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Things cook faster under higher barometric pressure.

AFAIK, they are useful for 'other things' because they are round, metal, and have a locking lid with a gasket.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    I can see this building into a panic buying spree of pressure cookers. Stores will be sold out, manufacturers will be backlogged for the next three years and the DHS will contract with George Foreman 1.5 billion units of his grill.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

I probably use one at least once a week and have been for too many years to admit.

At 15 pounds of pressure the internal temperature goes up to about 250 degrees compared to 212 without pressure.

Soups, stocks, pot roasts, beens, corned beef and a whole lot of other foods can be cooked in one in less time with less heat needed.

A well browned slab of chuck, chopped onion, garlic, a bay leaf or two, a few allspice berries, paprika and a little salt and pepper if cooked in a pressure cooker will be done to perfection in an hour as compared to 2 or more hours in the oven or on the stove top being braised. Once the pressure is built up inside the amount of heat needed to keep it going is miniscule.

Dried beans will come out perfectly in an hour or so compared to several hours on the stovetop.

Making flavorful but tough meats tender is a snap and requires very little time.

Making a true beef, chicken, veal or pork stock is easy and would take three times the heat and time on a stove top.

A few pounds of onions, a few meaty beef bones and a little salt / pepper and you get an onion soup that is outstanding.
    Real authentic goulash: CHUCK beef chunks, a ton of onions, Hungarian paprika (caution it's hot) and salt/pepper is fantastic.

It will not brown foods so the flavor that you normally get from browning will be missing in the final product unless you do the browning before it goes in the cooker.

If you just follow directions it is as safe as anything else done in a kitchen and I've never had an accident with one in 40 years.

Doing stuff like pasta and some vegetables is not the best but reducing things like tomatoes to sauces is great, as the heat and pressure really break down all the cells and the results are great.

bosco

I've only seen my grandma use one once a while ago. Other than that, I've really only heard of them being used for canning.

VIP Member
    I'm terrified of pressure cookers...really, I am. When I was little my Mother had one to cook potatoes in. One time it exploded in the kitchen. Potatoes blew everywhere, the lid put a dent in the ceiling, it sounded like a bomb went off and made a huge mess. She never used it again and to this day I hate them.

I have PTSD thanks to that pressure cooker.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I'm terrified of pressure cookers...really, I am. When I was little my Mother had one to cook potatoes in. One time it exploded in the kitchen. Potatoes blew everywhere, the lid put a dent in the ceiling, it sounded like a bomb went off and made a huge mess. She never used it again and to this day I hate them.

I have PTSD thanks to that pressure cooker.
    That's a shame. Sorry for the PTSD.

Never a problem so long as the directions are followed. Lids only blow if the cooker is opened while still under pressure.
    Modern ones have locks that will not allow the top to be removed until the pressure is completely gone.
    Even the old ones have blow outs or pressure plugs that will pop before the lid blows.

Always stay safe and only use one if you are careful and follow the directions.

bosco

My wife used to use one quite a bit until it finally gave out after many years of service. The steam spout got clogged on it and popped off like a champagne cork shooting boiling water and bits of meat all over the ceiling...that was quite a site. Glad my wife wasn't standing in front of it when it happened.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Never a problem so long as the directions are followed. Lids only blow if the cooker is opened while still under pressure.
    Modern ones have locks that will not allow the top to be removed until the pressure is completely gone.
    I have no idea what happened because we were in the living room when the thing blew in the kitchen. My Mother was mechanically challanged so it's a real possibility that it was operator error.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links