Are you a Prepper? Check out my homemade water tower.

This is a discussion on Are you a Prepper? Check out my homemade water tower. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My first prep is learning how to reload. But, considering that you can't live long without water I thought I'd share this as my second ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By likesbigbullets
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By MasterGadgets

Thread: Are you a Prepper? Check out my homemade water tower.

My first prep is learning how to reload. But, considering that you can't live long without water I thought I'd share this as my second prep. This is an extremely crude water tower that I built with materials that I had on hand. The 55gal drum on top (black) is for storing the water. The other 4 drums are just there for support and to keep it at a level height with my roof-line. The wooden support is just one of the wire spools that you end up with after you run your own electrical wiring. My makeshift tower is on a hill in my back yard which made it easy to gain height. I use gravity to provide water pressure. It isn't much, but when you live in the Georgia backwoods and rely on an electric water well, you quickly realize how vulnerable you are after one lightning strike or basic power outage. It isn't much water, but it is enough to wash a few dishes, flush the toilet bath yourself with the home plumbing system, cook and probably drink since the barrel is super clean and the water going in is filtered ground water. But, we are going to store drinking water just to be safe. After 6 hours with no power, it's a real humbling experience when you have all the water that you need underground but can't access a single drop!

I'm thinking I'll invest in putting up a 2000gal tower in the same place and a hand pump on the water well. You know, for when the SHTF for real.
    Attached Images

Hey that will work ! 3-5 days without water ......and not good . Some people forget how important water is .

Rule of 3's

The survival rule of thumb is: 3 hours without shelter, ( extreme heat or cold ) 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food , three minutes without air..... Generally speaking of course .

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesewiz View Post
    Hey that will work ! 3-5 days without water ......and not good . Some people forget how important water is .

Rule of 3's

The survival rule of thumb is: 3 hours without shelter, ( extreme heat or cold ) 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food , three minutes without air..... Generally speaking of course .
    Then I say we ban the number 3! Its just too dangerous and scary! Thanks bro!
    NONAME762 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Forget the water tower. Get...a...generator! Then you still have water on demand.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Forget the water tower. Get...a...generator! Then you still have water on demand.
    Fill the drums with gasoline to run the generator..? What happens after day 10?
    MasterGadgets likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    You drive somewhere and get more gas? It ain't Revolution after all.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You drive somewhere and get more gas? It ain't Revolution after all.
    Well, if you live here [FL] and a hurricane hits, a generator with stored gasoling is a good thing, for a while. Your response to go get more gas, well if there is no electricity in town you can't pump the gas from the storage tanks at the gas station. So............., your screwed.
    likesbigbullets likes this.

I've heard it depends on the depth of your well but why not look into a solar panel or 2 powering a solar powered pump?

I'd be real leery of drinking ground water even if it's filtered.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGadgets View Post
    Well, if you live here [FL] and a hurricane hits, a generator with stored gasoling is a good thing, for a while. Your response to go get more gas, well if there is no electricity in town you can't pump the gas from the storage tanks at the gas station. So............., your screwed.
    Exactly. This is what happens when you live miles away from civilization!

[QUOTE=NONAME762;2721116]I've heard it depends on the depth of your well but why not look into a solar panel or 2 powering a solar powered pump?

I'd be real leery of drinking ground water even if it's filtered.[/QUOTe

In general, ground water is usually healthier because the earth acts as a filter. Besides, our water was tested and blessed by the county before we put the well in.

You know, sometimes you wake up and say "hey, I think its a nice day to go for a long motorcycle ride." And some days you wake up and say "I'm going to build a water tower just to see if I have what it takes to gravity feed my home plumbing"..... Yes, I could have taken my truck to town, bought a hundred gallons of water and filled those containers with fuel. But where is the fun in that??????

The latter was probably better because I really wanted to see if I could build a steam powered generator with those barrels. I might have blown myself up. Good thing I turned them into a water tower lol
    nontechguy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I've heard it depends on the depth of your well but why not look into a solar panel or 2 powering a solar powered pump?

Born and raised on the stuff, still drinking it daily.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post

I've been drawing up plans for solar panels and wind turbines. But, being broke sucks. However, I am supposed to be getting my Lee Single Stage Breechlock Press from the post office tomorrow!

Are you sure that's not just for making moonshine?
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    Are you sure that's not just for making moonshine?
    Yeah, I can't wait for the game warden to pay a visit and uncover the cammoed tarp that I'm going to cover it with. lol I'm glad to see someone was thinking on the right track lol
    nontechguy likes this.

Sponsored Links