coming soon, the internet sales tax

This is a discussion on coming soon, the internet sales tax within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The US Senate is poised to pass the internet sales tax upon return from the current break, with support running well over the 60% required ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: coming soon, the internet sales tax

coming soon, the internet sales tax

The US Senate is poised to pass the internet sales tax upon return from the current break, with support running well over the 60% required for passage.

This would require every on-line seller to collect state, county and municipal sales taxes for the purchasers' place of residence and remit those taxes to some 9,600 taxing entities nationwide. Each seller would become subject to audit at any time by any of those taxing authorities, with the attendant time and expenses involved to comply with any whim of said authorities (think about traveling thousands of miles every time some local government decided to ding you for more, knowing that it will cost you significantly more to contest the charge than to just pay the levy).

Presently, sellers are required to collect and remit sales taxes for sales within states in which they have a presence. This acknowledges that they are receiving some level of services (police, fire, roads, etc) for which sales taxes are purportedly used. If passed, this legislation would clearly be a matter of taxation without representation, as sellers would be required to pay taxes in jurisdictions where they have no vote whatsoever.

Billed as a means for leveling the playing field for the proprietors of brick-and-mortar stores, claiming they are being undercut by untaxed on-line sales, in reality the major supporters of this legislation are actually the really big names in retail (WalMart, Amazon, etc).

Without a doubt, once the camel's nose gets into the tent there will be further steps to reduce the threshold (initially set at annual sales of $1 million or more), all to further "level the playing field", of course.

Think about the consequences, both for consumers as well as providers. How much will this add to every purchase you make on-line? As a small business with a website just how long will it take me to complete and file sales tax returns to 9,600 taxing authorities?
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

2. Remove Ads

One thing the government has always been good at...TAXING....they really do not care about the consequences to the economy either..Just another day in the NEW America....

VIP Member
    The only two things assured in life, death and taxes.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

They can charge me all the state sales tax the want!

Joking aside, I miss the days of the wild west internet. And seriously, the government is out of hand.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The cost of compliance far outweighs the cost of the tax itself. The compliance costs will doom many small busninesses. They simply do not have the manpower to keep up to date on all 9,600 jurisdictions must less file the necessary returns. Large corps usaully have at least one full-time accountant if not a staff to handle sales and use taxes.

VIP Member
    If they want to "level the playing field" why don't they drop the state sales tax instead of enacting yet another tax on sellers.

Haha...yeah, I know. That would never happen.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Be glad they waited this long to pounce on it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Be glad they waited this long to pounce on it.
    Bad news for online ammo businesses. After the ammo tax, sales tas, and shipping the overpriced LGS will be "cheaper" than online sales. Many jobs will go by the wayside. Those $220 cases of 9mm shipped to you door are a thing of the past. The new "norm" will be closer to $20 a box. In CA there are looking to tax each round or ammo componet at 5 cents. I can see a blackmarket for ammo. local comerical reloaders could do well with a trusted clientel.

VIP Member
    First off, it is not taxation without representation as the tax payer is the buyer, not the seller. The seller is just a collection agent for the state/municipality. Second, in most states, you are required to report untaxed purchases and pay the taxes. If you don't and are caught, there are penalties that can include revocation of professional licenses.

The only real burden is figuring out the process of collecting and remitting all those taxes. This will spawn an industry of either software or ADP-like third party service providers that will, for a volume-based fee, do the administration. This fee will be paid by the seller, but not the taxes which are a pass through. I personally am willing to pay a bit more to let someone else do the tracking and reporting.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    It is a little bit more than just paying someone to fill out the paperwork and write a check. The seller needs to know how much tax to collect for each sale when the sale is made. When you have juristictions that have county (parish), city, and state sales taxes, it gets very complicated. Not to mention whether or not the sale is even taxable in that juristiction. The services barely know what they are doing. I spent 4 hours on the phone with one back in January trying to explain the rules of sales tax in SC to one of them. I finally had to conference call in the department of revenue because they would not believe me.

VIP Member
    Maybe it will be a flat "internet tax" tacked on to all transactions.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    It is a little bit more than just paying someone to fill out the paperwork and write a check. The seller needs to know how much tax to collect for each sale when the sale is made. When you have juristictions that have county (parish), city, and state sales taxes, it gets very complicated. Not to mention whether or not the sale is even taxable in that juristiction. The services barely know what they are doing. I spent 4 hours on the phone with one back in January trying to explain the rules of sales tax in SC to one of them. I finally had to conference call in the department of revenue because they would not believe me.
    I agree - that is where an ADP-like service would come in handy. It would require that you use their software or an add on that plugs their software into your software. It would be zip+4 driven. The problem is that the Congress will not likely give the vendors enough time to fully develop the system.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Just another reason to be on welfare.
    loboleather likes this.

So killing e commerce will be good for the economy how...? Dip$hits.

Well, I wasted some time yesterday contacting my senators about this bill. (Both libtard dems)
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links