How many folks actually read linked articles and replies before posting?

This is a discussion on How many folks actually read linked articles and replies before posting? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How many folks actually read linked articles and replies before posting? I have noticed that it "appears" that many folks don't bother reading an article ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How many folks actually read linked articles and replies before posting?

I have noticed that it "appears" that many folks don't bother reading an article or previous post before they post. Sometimes the OP posts a thread title that is more like a headline for MSNBC or FOX news than what is actually the truth or meat of the article. In the last few months there have folks that posts internet hoaxes (by an honest mistake) and folks page after page pile on like it is true, even if on page 1 it has been refuted by forum members.

I am just wondering how some folks can pile on calling "liberals" "ignorant" and propagting lies when many feel they do not need to fact check anything.

Of course I may have fallen victim to this also, but I go back and try to edit my post to lets folks know I screwed up.

Just curious to what your thoughts are. It just appears that many times critical thinking is lacking. And as we have mentioned before: anti's and others visit this site. I see this on their forums also, so it is a universal thing
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

I do it. Sometimes twice, just to make sure I am getting it all...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I don't respond to a thread with a linked article without reading the article and responses first. Unless my post isn't directly related to the actual article. I like to not make myself look like a fool. Of course, if you ask my wife, I do that anyway.
    suntzu and NONAME762 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    I tend to be very careful with my assertions.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

"All we want are the facts, ma'am."
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    I usually read the link but it's nice to have a "heads up" from the poster as to what's in it before I slog through it.

I consider this site a relaxed place where I can discuss, debate or just chat about current events and hear others ideas and opinions on things.
    I think a LOT gets lost in translation. We can't hear tone of voice, facial expressions or any of the body language we rely heavily on in real life.

I don't mind when someone doesn't agree with me, or points out when I'm wrong because sometimes I am. I don't take it personally because no one is right all the time and a lot of what's said on here is the posters opinion, not necessairly fact.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Seven.
    fredg53 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    If there is an article attached I read it. Depending on how many post will depend if they get read. If there is a page or 2 I'll read them. If there are 8 or 9 pages of responses I don't sit and read them all.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Seven.
    Brad, could you expand on your response please?
    NONAME762 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I might read the link if it's about something that interests me or isn't too long. And I'm not reading more than 2 pages of replies. If you want the benefit of my wisdom you gotta get in early.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Suntzu - I missed the link - what was it about???

JK - if I respond to a post with a link, I read it first. I may or may not read all responses prior to responding. For instance, if I have been away for a while and there are 5 pages of responses, while I am reading, I may respond to a post as I find it. If there are only a few responses, I will read them l first.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Generally if there's a link I'll read the linked article first. If it is something I already feel strongly about there's a strong chance I'll just wade in guns blasting so to speak. I may be wrong. It has happened a time or 2.

All the same right or wrong if it's something I feel strongly about no one will change my mind on the matter short of wasting me.
    YMMV.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I haven't got time to read your post, but I have a lot to say about it after reading the subject line.

I always read the OP and article. Depending on how many responses there are already....... I'd say I make it to the end of the 2nd page maybe mid third page before I stop and reply. Sometimes they are just to long to read every single comment on every single page. But 2-3 pages in is good enough. I may also skip to the last page if it is over 5 pages long just to see what everyone has hung onto as the main issue or how off topic it has gotten.

Anyway, always read the article and OP. Just because I click on something though doesn't mean I'm going to reply. I tend to not say anything unless I believe I know what I'm talking about.

I totally agree. I really hate how ignorant liberals are always propagating lies and never fact check anything. I didn't have time to read the rest, but I agree with that part.
    atctimmy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links