Price of Golf Clubs

This is a discussion on Price of Golf Clubs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man, did I get one heck of a sticker shock this afternoon! K&D Holsters is going to be one of the corporate sponsors at a ...

Thread: Price of Golf Clubs

Price of Golf Clubs

Man, did I get one heck of a sticker shock this afternoon!

K&D Holsters is going to be one of the corporate sponsors at a benefit golf tournament being held December 2nd for Matt & Dioji, the two Polk County Law Enforcement killed last month here in central Florida. Since I get the opportunity to also play in the tournament, I've been looking for clubs. I traded a Springfield MilSpec for a full set of Ping irons, but still needed a driver and a couple of fairway woods. This was the first time I've been shopping for clubs in about 3-4 years. The drivers were priced at $299 and up, the fairway woods were priced at $169 and up. I got to hit a couple of buckets worth of balls with the demos, and I've got to say that the current "hot" driver head size is obnoxiously large in my opinion. It was way too distracting to me. I hit the 3, 4, and 5 woods much better and further than the driver. The clubs I was looking at were at the local Air Force Base pro shop.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to find the more "classic" woods?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Wow Kevin - that is a great benefit match cause.

As for club advice - count me out - last ones I wielded were about 30 years ago! I do wonder if some EBay peeking might yield some bargains tho.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Kevin,

Golf club's, ball's and golf in general has gone crazy these day's with prices, technology, R&D for the max distance with little effort exerted, etc, etc. We are all paying for that crap. Although to me it's not crap but it is very expensive to be in the golf world these day's yes. It's no different than buying a quality holster, belt and gun to carry, it's expensive.

My best advice to you is find a "Golf Smith" in your area that can make you what you want/need rather at a fraction of the cost but yet near the same quality and performance of the name brand set's. I'd say you could get a driver and three fairway wood's for around $200.00 - $250.00 at the most. He will put you on a swing analyzer to get the right set up for you.

Unless you are a very low handicapper you won't be able to tell any difference. With this you can be fit to what works for you instead of buying and trying a half dozen high dollar drivers, fairway wood's, iron's etc, that may or may not work. A "custom" made knock off set of wood's will fit you and work much better for you anyway. I've had them all believe me. I have had the custom fit knock off's and have done very well with them in the past. I have been playing since I was 9-10 years old, so 25 years now. I am into golf as much as gun's and holsters, I just don't have the time I once had to play/practice anymore.

So that's my advice, get fitted, have them made and save a ton of money doing it. Also, you said you were having trouble with the driver. Driver's are hard to use for most people, stick with the 10.5, 11.5, 12.5 higher degree drivers, find which one of those fit you the best and you hit the best and your trajectory is the best to maximize distance. The higher degree driver will be easier to hit consistently Or find a nice sized 3 wood head and use it for a driver.

Golf ball's! golf ball's are all about the same with very little difference of how far they will go. Go with a moderate 2 piece ball and stay away from the expensive one's. There is no need for them unless you are a low handicapper and can really work the ball and lay it on the green where you want it. That's when a high dollar ball will come into play.

I hope this has help some. Good luck with it!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

lol, my set cost me around $250, got them customed made, about 10 years ago.

Just got a new 1 Iron. I don't do woods, never could. I recently shattered my graphit(sp) shaft on my 1 and had to get a replacement.

$125 just for the shaft and new grip .

I thought that I would be "smart" and price a new 1 Iron.... $200 .

Woods alot cheaper, but hey, you go with what works. So $125 later, I got the shaft... errr, a new shaft and new grip.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    lol, my set cost me around $250, got them customed made, about 10 years ago.

Just got a new 1 Iron. I don't do woods, never could. I recently shattered my graphit(sp) shaft on my 1 and had to get a replacement.

$125 just for the shaft and new grip .

I thought that I would be "smart" and price a new 1 Iron.... $200 .

Woods alot cheaper, but hey, you go with what works. So $125 later, I got the shaft... errr, a new shaft and new grip.

Wayne
    Spend the money on lessons!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Since I have never played cow pasture pool I think I will go set in the corner and do something constructive , say polish my duck LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Great on the benefit for the fallen officers, Kevin...
    Well, if you dont play all the time, I wouldnt bother in going out and getting some real fancy clubs. I can hit WallyWorld or KMart drivers/woods just as good as Calaways!! I dont play enought myself to get good quality clubs, so I do have a fair iron set, namely an older King Cobra set, acouple of WallyWorld wedges, putter and a John Daly Big Head driver that I got at Big 5, plus some WW fairway woods. I still play as lousy with them, than if I had a decent set. All depends on just what you want, I guess?

Good luck in the benefit and hope it raises alot of $$$ for the families.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Now you know why I don't play golf.

Besides: a golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.

But you are doing GOOD and that's great.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Links